Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ireland's housing crisis is completely normal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 pm 
Property Magnate

Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Looks his rhetoric isnt welcomed by those in the homelessness crisis industry :x
What a silly comment.

In what way ? I would suggest it’s quite an accurate comment unless you deny that there is a homeless industry here ?
The "homeless industry"? :lol:

That sounds like a bullshit term used by people who know nothing about the topic. Convince me otherwise! Tell me everything you know about the 'homeless industry'.

Its not a bullshit term as has been proven above , educate yourself ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 pm 
Nationalised

cyrusir wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
In what way ? I would suggest it’s quite an accurate comment unless you deny that there is a homeless industry here ?

That sounds like a bullshit term used by people who know nothing about the topic. Convince me otherwise! Tell me everything you know about the 'homeless industry'.

No, tell me more about this 'homeless industry'. Seriously, I'm genuinely interested in tying to understand your view on this. What is the 'homeless industry'?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 pm 
Property Magnate

Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:

No, tell me more about this 'homeless industry'. Seriously, I'm genuinely interested in tying to understand your view on this. What is the 'homeless industry'?

all the evidence you need has already been provided,

educate yourself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Alice Leahy has worked with the homeless for decades and has a trust in her own name. She herself called it an industry a few months back on the Pat Kenny show, commenting on figures like those which were posted on the previous page.
I mean, how could you read those stats and deduct that it's anything other than an industry!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm 
Nationalised

Explain it to me from the perspective of a homeless woman with two kids. Explain it to me from the perspective of the hundreds and hundreds of volunteers who give their time to help others.

Last edited by Coles2 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm 
Nationalised

cyrusir wrote:

I've repeatedly asked you to explain what you meant and you still haven't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Coles2 wrote:
Explain it to me from the perspective of a homeless woman with two kids. Explain it to me from the perspective of the hundreds and hundreds of volunteers who give their time to help others.

I'll go with Alice Leahy's take on it. She's got a lot more knowledge of the situation than you or me.
I won't get involved in tugging at the heart strings either

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Alice Leahy has worked with the homeless for decades and has a trust in her own name. She herself called it an industry a few months back on the Pat Kenny show, commenting on figures like those which were posted on the previous page.
I mean, how could you read those stats and deduct that it's anything other than an industry!!!

Show me a link to what she said so that I can see the context. Was it in the context of the State normalising homelessness and dealing with it ineffectively through corporate management that only cares about moving people on to met statistical targets? That's a 'homeless industry', and it's the result of a government maintaining the policies that are creating the problem. They have created a housing crisis where it has become necessary to deal with the victims with industrial methods instead of addressing the actual needs of people on a one to one basis. That is the 'homeless industry' that Alice Leahy warned about. Using the term as a shitty attempt to attack those in need and those who volunteer their time and effort to help them is pathetic. Perhaps you might do better to focus on the cause of the housing crisis rather than the symptoms of it? But I suppose it's easy to attack the weakest with this sneering bullshit?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The term is a bit pejorative.

But it is perfectly fair to state that there is a proliferation of agencies in Dublin whose task it is to manage homelessness. Between them they employ a lot of people and there are volunteers too.

DCC employs 4000 people - I would presume at least a hundred work on the homeless stuff too.

Personally I really have no idea about how effective the system is. I have never come across a good value for money review or performance audit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

Show me a link to what she said so that I can see the context. Was it in the context of the State normalising homelessness and dealing with it ineffectively through corporate management that only cares about moving people on to met statistical targets? That's a 'homeless industry', and it's the result of a government maintaining the policies that are creating the problem. They have created a housing crisis where it has become necessary to deal with the victims with industrial methods instead of addressing the actual needs of people on a one to one basis. That is the 'homeless industry' that Alice Leahy warned about. Using the term as a shitty attempt to attack those in need and those who volunteer their time and effort to help them is pathetic. Perhaps you might do better to focus on the cause of the housing crisis rather than the symptoms of it? But I suppose it's easy to attack the weakest with this sneering said?

It was said in the context as was outlined earlier, hence why I brought it up here.
So while it may not suit your argument, try not to twist it so ridiculosly to suit your agenda. Or to put words in MsLeahys mouth either.

I'm not sneering about anything. There's more than enough money being spent on homelessness to solve the issue several times over. But as with evertyhing in this country, it becomes a racket with many snouts in the trough.
Anyone who dares question it is 'right wing', 'uncaring', 'sneering' etc etc.

As with the Health system, throwing money endlessly at the problem will not solve it. Your only feeding the monster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

Show me a link to what she said so that I can see the context. Was it in the context of the State normalising homelessness and dealing with it ineffectively through corporate management that only cares about moving people on to met statistical targets? That's a 'homeless industry', and it's the result of a government maintaining the policies that are creating the problem. They have created a housing crisis where it has become necessary to deal with the victims with industrial methods instead of addressing the actual needs of people on a one to one basis. That is the 'homeless industry' that Alice Leahy warned about. Using the term as a shitty attempt to attack those in need and those who volunteer their time and effort to help them is pathetic. Perhaps you might do better to focus on the cause of the housing crisis rather than the symptoms of it? But I suppose it's easy to attack the weakest with this sneering said?

It was said in the context as was outlined earlier, hence why I brought it up here.
So while it may not suit your argument, try not to twist it so ridiculosly to suit your agenda. Or to put words in MsLeahys mouth either.

Alice Leahy's own words from 2007. This is what was meant by a 'homeless industry'.

Alice Leahy, December 2007 wrote:
"The services for people who are homeless cannot be run like a business because of the complex nature of homelessness, and the failure to recognise that means the problem is getting bigger and more persistent, and the services are at risk of being transformed into “a homelessness industry”

“Services for people who are homeless are at risk of becoming a self perpetuating “homelessness industry” because the application of corporate style management techniques with an emphasis on benchmarks and performance indicators which place the emphasis on “moving people on”. In other words, each service, in both the public and voluntary sector, is perceived to be doing well if it passes a “client” to another service, regardless of whether that person has received any real help."

freefallin wrote:
As with the Health system, throwing money endlessly at the problem will not solve it. Your only feeding the monster
No, you're wrong. Homelessness is not a problem; it is a symptom. You can't cure a symptom. Deal with the problem of no social housing and spiraling private rents. It's very simple.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:51 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Skehan calls SF's Eoin O'Broin a scallywag

https://twitter.com/paulodonoghue93/sta ... 5941532672

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm 
Nationalised

I've no clue what that article was trying to be about. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We are all in the same boat as the author :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next