Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ireland's housing crisis is completely normal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Alice Leahy has worked with the homeless for decades and has a trust in her own name. She herself called it an industry a few months back on the Pat Kenny show, commenting on figures like those which were posted on the previous page.
I mean, how could you read those stats and deduct that it's anything other than an industry!!!

Show me a link to what she said so that I can see the context. Was it in the context of the State normalising homelessness and dealing with it ineffectively through corporate management that only cares about moving people on to met statistical targets? That's a 'homeless industry', and it's the result of a government maintaining the policies that are creating the problem. They have created a housing crisis where it has become necessary to deal with the victims with industrial methods instead of addressing the actual needs of people on a one to one basis. That is the 'homeless industry' that Alice Leahy warned about. Using the term as a shitty attempt to attack those in need and those who volunteer their time and effort to help them is pathetic. Perhaps you might do better to focus on the cause of the housing crisis rather than the symptoms of it? But I suppose it's easy to attack the weakest with this sneering said?

It was said in the context as was outlined earlier, hence why I brought it up here.
So while it may not suit your argument, try not to twist it so ridiculosly to suit your agenda. Or to put words in MsLeahys mouth either.

Alice Leahy's own words from 2007. This is what was meant by a 'homeless industry'.

Alice Leahy, December 2007 wrote:
"The services for people who are homeless cannot be run like a business because of the complex nature of homelessness, and the failure to recognise that means the problem is getting bigger and more persistent, and the services are at risk of being transformed into “a homelessness industry”

“Services for people who are homeless are at risk of becoming a self perpetuating “homelessness industry” because the application of corporate style management techniques with an emphasis on benchmarks and performance indicators which place the emphasis on “moving people on”. In other words, each service, in both the public and voluntary sector, is perceived to be doing well if it passes a “client” to another service, regardless of whether that person has received any real help."

freefallin wrote:
As with the Health system, throwing money endlessly at the problem will not solve it. Your only feeding the monster
No, you're wrong. Homelessness is not a problem; it is a symptom. You can't cure a symptom. Deal with the problem of no social housing and spiraling private rents. It's very simple.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:51 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Skehan calls SF's Eoin O'Broin a scallywag

https://twitter.com/paulodonoghue93/sta ... 5941532672

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm 
Nationalised

I've no clue what that article was trying to be about. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We are all in the same boat as the author :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I know this guy gets derided on here and I am not sure if this article makes sense (I haven't looked at the numbers) but he seems to be speaking to a discontinuity in thinking about housing. He makes it sound like a population who in the past went through pain for an SCD home will now spend mad money having the hipster craic in GCD before settling down in the (oft derided) outer commuter belt, which is becoming more attractive by virtue of their presence. It hints that the most conservative accommodation seekers of all - those who seek council housing close to the ma and the da and the nan (for entirely understandable reasons) are continuing to set the political agenda given their levels of expectation and closeness to the political system. He seems to regard this as a noisy sideshow to the overall trend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm 
Too Big to Fail

homelessness is "normal"
https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/sta ... 0599387138

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm 
Property Magnate

AWAAF wrote:
I know this guy gets derided on here and I am not sure if this article makes sense (I haven't looked at the numbers) but he seems to be speaking to a discontinuity in thinking about housing. He makes it sound like a population who in the past went through pain for an SCD home will now spend mad money having the hipster craic in GCD before settling down in the (oft derided) outer commuter belt, which is becoming more attractive by virtue of their presence. It hints that the most conservative accommodation seekers of all - those who seek council housing close to the ma and the da and the nan (for entirely understandable reasons) are continuing to set the political agenda given their levels of expectation and closeness to the political system. He seems to regard this as a noisy sideshow to the overall trend.

Does anyone know exactly how many social housing units there are in Dublin as a whole?
And how many people officially live in them?
What percentage of all units is this?
What percentage of Dublin population is this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FTBer wrote:
AWAAF wrote:

Does anyone know exactly how many social housing units there are in Dublin as a whole?

Didn't someone (McWilliams?) do something recently showing significant under-occupancy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

AWAAF wrote:
FTBer wrote:
AWAAF wrote:

Didn't someone (McWilliams?) do something recently showing significant under-occupancy?

Karl Deeter. (There is no "housing crisis" there is an allocation of resources crisis)

https://www.herald.ie/news/dublin-has-m ... 55933.html
Thousands of Co Dublin council homes with four and five bedrooms have just one occupant, figures show.
More than 12,700 bedrooms in houses and apartments owned by the four Dublin local authorities are empty, while almost 10,000 people are living in emergency homeless accommodation.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 81119.html
More than 12,700 bedrooms in council-owned homes in Dublin are lying empty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property