Post subject: synthetic grass
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 pm 
Property Magnate

Hi ...ive No pets but young kids ...anyone get synthetic grass?
I'm sure it's the 2018 version of decking but I'm considering it ..heard it's not totally maintenance free as will need clean bird poo etc.

Any feedback?

Post subject: Re: synthetic grass
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

My brother got a small piece of astro for his back yard and I think it's fantastic.

It was dear, at least €6,000, but so far, no maintenance. Just takes some leaves of it. Never heard him give out about bird poo.

He put in the small drains himself, just cut out tracks in the concrete, lay in a grate and join them to the rainwater waste drains. Simple enough. Saved a few euros.
The company showed him were to put in the drains.
They put down a sponge layer, and it seemed more important to get that base layer right than picking the grass cover for it.
Different types of grass covers, he went for the mid-price range of grass cover as it's not getting huge traffic.

The big advantage is that they can use it all year. Even after it rains, it only needs about 15 minutes to dry out. And it rains a lot in Donegal, so it's been well tested over the last 2 years.
His two young children love it. Even in the snow, to make snowmen.

My brother recommends it and I think it's great.
(I've a lawn that is bogging for most of the year. Takes about 2 weeks of dry weather to dry it out)

I can't remember the name of the company that fitted it but it was a Dublin company, and they have a cool little car covered in astro turf.
Look out for the little grassy knoll driving around Dublin. My brother was very impressed with them and their work.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm 
First Time Buyer

We had a deck that was a death trap due to being slippy (ronseal doesn't do what it says in the tin). Covered it in synthetic grass for about €400 (i installed it). It was great no complaints, no maintenance and it was brilliant for the kids to play on. Buying a house ATM and def considering it for part of the back garden. I know someone carpeted his kids room in it, worked really well there too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I would be interested in finding out about that company. any further details?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 am 
First Time Buyer

Possibly https://www.sanctuarysynthetics.ie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Rew wrote:
We had a deck that was a death trap due to being slippy (ronseal doesn't do what it says in the tin). Covered it in synthetic grass for about €400 (i installed it). It was great no complaints, no maintenance and it was brilliant for the kids to play on. Buying a house ATM and def considering it for part of the back garden. I know someone carpeted his kids room in it, worked really well there too.

How did decking ever catch on in our perpetually wet climate?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm 
First Time Buyer

Television.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 pm 
Single Home Owner

I have it. My kids don’t bounce off it as well as they do on grass...ground stays rock hard underfoot.

My advice is to clear any fallen leaves off it ASAP. I get a lot of leaves blowing into my garden & am usually lazy about clearing them off- maybe once a month over the winter. . Over 3-4 years some of the leaf matter has broken down & now I have some moss and the odd weed growing in this ’compost’ on top of the synthetic grass. The sand/plastic barrier hasn’t been breached, but trying to get the weeds and moss off it now is a pain. Chemicals will kill it & turn it brown but it’s a b!tch to brush it out of the synthetic grass.

Apart from that (and that’s down to my pure laziness) I can’t fault it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 am 
Real Estate Developer

(I'm not an expert) AFAIK, some plastic/resin substances can degas.

Perhaps something like this could be an option..

as seen on: [Dermot Bannon’s house for sale]
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67344

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:27 am 
Under CAB Investigation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 pm 
Property Magnate

Got the artificial grass in and very happy with it (meaning the kids love it)...but need help if there are any gardeners out there ...ill be planting trees and scrubs soon enough along the border with the grass ..the lady doing the planting saying I need a kerb/edging along the grass to keep the soil or any mulch I put down from spoiling the lovely new 'grass" (birds dragging it out etc)..is this really necessary? ....any sample edging i put down doesn't look good (personal choice given the overall design).