Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: "Bus Connects" CPO plans for Dublin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

in relation to fares.. I've almost forgot how long it was taking to enter the bus in Dublin.
Now I use local leap card, but you can buy a ticket using a card and a terminals in every tram and bus here in Wrocław, Poland. You enter via any door and there is usually a terminal close by.
Actually they dont print tickets inside anymore - card is your ticket, you can still get printed ones in newspaper agents or in terminals on bus/tram stops.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

Post subject: Re: "Bus Connects" CPO plans for Dublin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm 
Property Magnate

Skippy 3 wrote:
The little-old-ladies argument is a bit silly IMHO.

Bus routes spread out radially from the city centre, generally with one to two kilometres between them. So someone living between two bus corridors already has to walk quite a distance to get to the bus corridor. I highly doubt that an extra hundred metres would make much of a difference to their mobility choices.

My grandmother never drove and doesn't use the bus at all now that she's in her 90s. It happened very quickly. There wasn't really an age when a marginal 200m to the bus stop would have made a difference to her choice to use it.

Why silly?

They are two issues really:

One - is one of efficiency. Poorly clustered stops make the service slow and inefficient for all. Pair this with the complete lack of bus lane policing, and we have the current slow mess in Dublin.

Two - is of ease of use. Better infrastructure (footpaths, shelters) and driver discipline at stops, and better routing and loading, all encourage use for able-bodied and less-able passengers alike.

Some of these factors are more important for the less able. I’m thinking of my elderly neighbours, but also of myself in 20-30 years time. I’d tolerate a 500m walk on poor paths in bad weather to the bus stop now, and then stand there with no shelter in the wind and rain. But not sure I’d feel as able to do so if less abled.

Maybe in 20 years time I won’t worry about this as I’ll be using on demand autonomous car services.... and so sitting in traffic with everyone else! Or I’ll be dead! There’s a range of possibilities!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property