Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: National Broadband Plan will cost the taxpayer over €2bn
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:47 am 
Nationalised

So SpaceX launch another 7000 on top of the 4500 I worked off originally. Quick math revisit.

Quote:
80 gbits thruput off 4 birds is fuck all in mathematical terms too.

My boreen in Galway, alone, has 2.5gbits already, If we need an upgrade we go to NG-PON2 or XG-PON in the next decade and the same boreen will be then be sharing 40 or possibly 100m GIGABITS.

So now we have 10 birds over Ireland at a time and 200gbits aggregate thruput (nominal) at 20gbits each.

My boreen still has the 2.5gbits GPON feed of its very own. Yoganmahews boreen has another 2.5gbits of its very own on a single GPON. This means that SpaceX can deliver as much bandwidth to all of Ireland at a time as you would already find down 100 boreens in Galway today, and the number of fibred boreens in Galway is already well north of 100. SpaceX cannot even deliver what these 100 boreens already have, in fact.

Let me try another approach, what would you do to me if I tried taking your fibre off you Yoganmahew.? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:14 am 
IMF'd

2Pack wrote:
Let me try another approach, what would you do to me if I tried taking your fibre off you Yoganmahew.? :D

:lol:
I would shoot your low orbit satellite down with your own testicles 2Pack.

The manysats approach smacks of a solution (cheap launches) looking for a customer. Otherwise the limits of the launch market are going to be reached quite quickly.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:
Aside from providing internet to just about every corner of the globe, a network like this provides one major benefit — it has the potential to significantly lower latency for long distance communications. That’s because free-space lasers communicate at the speed of light in a vacuum, which is faster than the speed of light through glass like what is used in fibre optical cables on the ground.

And according to Prof Handley, therein lies the potential genius.

He believes something like Starlink could be hugely appealing to high-frequency traders at big banks who may be willing to fork out for a speed advantage when it comes to algorithm-based trading on the stock market and currency exchanges.

“I think the societal benefits from connecting remote places will be huge, and they’ll contribute revenue, but if it was only about connecting remote places, I don’t think Starlink could possibly pay for itself.”

Ultimately, he thinks such a network is inevitable. But whether SpaceX is able to pull it off in the coming years remains to be seen.

Like everything else Musk has done lately, there’ll be no shortage of people watching.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Nationalised

Can we stop talking about satellites, they will serve fishing boats and tankers mid ocean and inflight wifi on Aer Lingus and special forces stuck on an Afghan mountain and stuff, and do that well. Lets get back to the real world and terrestial networks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/11 ... broadband/

Quote:
The chief executive of Vodafone in Ireland has said that 5G mobile technology could be used as a complementary rather than a replacement solution for bringing high speed broadband to rural Ireland.

....And of course, she knows why unlike a lot of posters in here. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:45 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

5G cells are smaller again than 4G cells which aren't everywhere yet. 4G was supposed to fix rural broadband the last time. 5G won't fix it unless the Government builds its own network or pays operators to put it in places it's uneconomical to put it.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:01 pm 
Nationalised

Cells can be smaller in either 4g or 5g BUT smaller cells are for urban areas, some as small as a building atrium or 2 in every stand in the aviva or croker. You can be sure the aviva and croker have fibre backhaul though unlike a mountain top in Mayo would.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The report came out today and surprise surprise, nothing to see here! Ministers and Taoiseach out saying everything is rosy in the garden and they're firing on ahead.
Naughten says he's been vindicated though the report does not specifically say that.
I smell an injunction coming from a bidder who's dropped out or else they'll wait and maybe go after comp later.

RTE 9pm news had a piece on rural broadband. They went to an enterprise centre in Kinvara with good broadband where people can hire a workstation. Half the regulars are MNC employees who work from 'home'.
1 lad who works for himself said his house is between 2 roads that have broadband but he cannot get eir to go up his road as there's only 3 houses on it, a mile outside a village. The reporter then said this shows you 'the sporadic nature of broadband in rural Ireland'.
I'll tell you what it shows....the sporadic f-n nature of rural one-off builds in every 2nd field. Talk about getting it ar5eways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:51 am 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
1 lad who works for himself said his house is between 2 roads that have broadband but he cannot get eir to go up his road as there's only 3 houses on it, a mile outside a village. The reporter then said this shows you 'the sporadic nature of broadband in rural Ireland'.
I'll tell you what it shows....the sporadic f-n nature of rural one-off builds in every 2nd field. Talk about getting it ar5eways.

People are not assigned houses by a central planning bureau.

For every house in Ireland that cannot access broadband, there are others a few kilometres away that can.

Why don't people who really value broadband not just move house?

The numbers of people who can sustainably work from home, and the number of days that they can, tends to be overestimated. Very few people who work in the education, health, retail, or social care sectors for example - and that's half a million people.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm 
Nationalised

The media is full of naysayers on the NBP today, the SBP is campaigning against and so is Marian Finucane, and as Marian does not 'do research' I am certain that was all handed to her on a plate.

The main source of the naysaying is the department of PER, along with some idiot economists with a partial model (the worst sort. :( ) , and this department of PER lot is headed by a person named Watts who hosted a meeting that was unminuted, in his department, with Eir in late 2016.

Mr Watts should be hauled in to the Dáil to explain why he was hosting completely unminuted meetings with bidders for the NBP during the bidding process.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

2Pack wrote:
The main source of the naysaying is the department of PER, along with some idiot economists with a partial model (the worst sort. :( ) , and this department of PER lot is headed by a person named Watts (sic)

Maybe his is asking basic questions such as why there is no cost-benefit analysis of the NBP in the public domain, in contrast to all guidelines for public spending.

Dublin's Metrolink project will not start digging until 2022 at the earliest but already has a cost-benefit analysis up on its website.

Sending fibre up boreens to old people whose media consumption consists of a Saorview box and the local paper is not a good use of taxpayer funds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Skippy 3 wrote:
Why don't people who really value broadband not just move house?

People who really value broadband do not live in houses without it.

However, that is not necessarily a good argument for keeping those houses broadband-free.

If you put high speed connections in them they will become attractive to those who value high speed connections. That may include the relatively small fraction of the workforce able to work from home, who may appreciate escaping their urban rabbit hutches, freeing up that accomodation for those that truly need it, and injecting a bit of youth into rural Ireland.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

A full 4% of the Irish workforce work from home.

Many of these don't need a broadband connection.

I would generously estimate that 1% of the workforce would work from home if broadband was better.

This won't tip the cost-benefit scales very much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 am 
Under CAB Investigation

If you built a gaff down a Boreen with no 3G/4G access or broadband in the last 10 to 15 years then why should they get broadband now?

--Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 pm 
Nationalised

tulip wrote:
If you built a gaff down a Boreen with no 3G/4G access or broadband in the last 10 to 15 years then why should they get broadband now?

They have neither for the same reason, the operators don't care, and efforts are underway to improve both mobile and fixed line networks in Ireland.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:16 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Is it really reasonable to expect to cover every depression and radio shadow and put a fibre down every road even though someone built a gaff down there knowing full well that there was no decent broadband.

And only half-jokingly what about team Tinfoil that don't want radio coverage and picked their spot specifically not to have it.

--Epictetus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next