Post subject: Irish Gov Social Housing Policy 5th Nov 2018 - In a Tweet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm 
Nationalised

Leo Varadkar destroys Hard Left in blistering tweet.

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/stat ... 5078998016

Some interesting comments.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: Irish Gov Social Housing Policy 5th Nov 2018 - In a Twe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:36 am 
Real Estate Developer

Open Window wrote:
Leo Varadkar destroys Hard Left in blistering tweet.

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/stat ... 5078998016

Some interesting comments.

God - that is so Trump-like - somebody needs to take the twitter machine away from him after he's had a few.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Quote:
One particularly odious advertisement published by the Evening Star in 1855 states: “Wanted immediately, a servant. A slave preferred...No Irish need apply”. It is one of 69 examples unearthed by Washington DC student Rebecca Fried which shows that anti-Irish hostility was common in the US up to the early part of the last century.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/p ... 53421.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 am 
Real Estate Developer

I had a look at the comments after that tweet, I couldn't get them out of my head last night - it's some of the most vitriolic stuff I've ever read.

After a while it clicked with me - that tweet is incredibly dangerous but it serves a narrative that the right wants us to believe - that social housing is for the indigent, immigrant poor. By casting this narrative it states that social housing is a misuse of taxpayers money, and that if you don't watch out poor people of a different colour, nationality or ethnic group with criminal tendencies will end up living next to you. I believe that that tweet was deliberately staged to provoke the response that it did and Leo Varadkar needs to be called out on this.

The opposition to social housing is in the political dogma of both the main political parties, but FG in particular. I am in favour of social housing, I don't have a problem with it being built by private contractors as long as we are not beingripped off or are filling the pockets of some politicians buddies. State development of housing is an imperative as the 'free market' has failed to provide it in the last 10 years. They've had long enough to fix it and they haven't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am 
Private Tenant

metalmike wrote:
I had a look at the comments after that tweet, I couldn't get them out of my head last night - it's some of the most vitriolic stuff I've ever read.

After a while it clicked with me - that tweet is incredibly dangerous but it serves a narrative that the right wants us to believe - that social housing is for the indigent, immigrant poor. By casting this narrative it states that social housing is a misuse of taxpayers money, and that if you don't watch out poor people of a different colour, nationality or ethnic group with criminal tendencies will end up living next to you. I believe that that tweet was deliberately staged to provoke the response that it did and Leo Varadkar needs to be called out on this.

The opposition to social housing is in the political dogma of both the main political parties, but FG in particular. I am in favour of social housing, I don't have a problem with it being built by private contractors as long as we are not beingripped off or are filling the pockets of some politicians buddies. State development of housing is an imperative as the 'free market' has failed to provide it in the last 10 years. They've had long enough to fix it and they haven't.

This is an odd tweet.

What he is opening is, essentially, social housing involving government money. Suspect it will require ongoing funding too.

And why choose an African family for the photo op? Was the deliberate?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 am 
Under CAB Investigation

What no one seems to have noticed is that one of the children has a very obvious disability.

This presumably impacts the social housing allocation process.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 am 
Of Systemic Importance

metalmike wrote:

I think your giving the strategists at FG way way too much credit there! And anyways, FG aren't 'the right' and have never really been.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:24 am 
Nationalised

metalmike wrote:

Now we know where the Freemen scum have fetched up. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 am 
Nationalised

Some ugly comments in there but why are people surprised? Ireland has a big housing crisis with big competition for accommodation. People are angry and fighting for basic shelter - it is something that can easily get ugly.

As a migrant in Australia I cringe to see that the government have ramped up immigration numbers to record highs (mainly to prop up demand for the property bubble) because it is ruining wage growth and making job seeking a very different experience to just a few years ago. Not to mention the obvious real issue with the massive cost of housing. Australians have started waking up to this in the past few months. Migrants are the ones who`ll have to face the resentment. It turns what are truly welcoming countries to a polar opposite and I cant blame them

This scenario where people are pitted against each other for scarce resources does not benefit the people already in a country including/especially incumbent migrants.

You cant save the whole world. The sheer numbers of people in most third world countries is hard to imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:43 am 
Too Big to Fail

Plenty of voters are finally making the connection between
unrestricted immigration
and
housing, school places, hospital lists, GP closed lists, traffic congestion, public transport full to brim, gig economy jobs...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 am 
Single Home Owner

temene wrote:
Plenty of voters are finally making the connection between
unrestricted immigration
and
housing, school places, hospital lists, GP closed lists, traffic congestion, public transport full to brim, gig economy jobs...

+ You had net 20K non eu migration in the last year
+ 120K given citizenship over the last few years
+ An amnesty scheme then for illegal migrants

Previously it was shown that half on fingal waiting list weren't even Irish citizens(but still qualify for housing).
https://www.herald.ie/news/over-half-on ... 73856.html

Eoghan Murphy can never solve a housing crisis under these conditions. Being a sociopath like most politicians hes not too bothered I imagine.

The photo itself is amazing and shows how fucked ireland is.

The photo opportunist politicians totally oblivious to the bad optics.

The "new Irish"(who hold sudanese passports or whatever) who certainly aren't moving in besides Pat Kenny aren't even cracking a smile - maybe they were promised stables and didnt get them?

Only a month ago varadkar was saying "that immigrants were “more likely to be working than the average Irish person and more likely to be paying tax”. I wonder what the life time tax bill for this lot will be? Millions?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm 
Old Time Landlord

There's a massive amount of resentment at the disproportionate numbers of "new Irish" allocated social housing, and it's been building for some years. We've been fed this propaganda that migrants are self-supporting and harder-working than Irish people but it's clearly not the case when you factor in social housing, the RAS scheme, education, healthcare, social services etc. Many Irish people do not see the point in so many people coming to live here that are economically unproductive and culturally very different - it certainly brings nothing of use to them. I think it's very worrying, the huge disconnect between the official line that's trotted out by politicians and media, and what people can see with their own eyes. It's going to lead to real social unrest as it has all over Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Posted this before, but this Cllr will top the poll
Further there is zero transparency or accountability in local authority housing departments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:33 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

paracetomol wrote:
There's a massive amount of resentment at the disproportionate numbers of "new Irish" allocated social housing, and it's been building for some years. We've been fed this propaganda that migrants are self-supporting and harder-working than Irish people but it's clearly not the case when you factor in social housing, the RAS scheme, education, healthcare, social services etc. Many Irish people do not see the point in so many people coming to live here that are economically unproductive and culturally very different - it certainly brings nothing of use to them. I think it's very worrying, the huge disconnect between the official line that's trotted out by politicians and media, and what people can see with their own eyes. It's going to lead to real social unrest as it has all over Europe.
Some people coming here already own property in their own country.

And others here on housing assistance manage to save up to subsequently buy a property in their country of origin, while retaining their subsidised housing here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 pm 
Old Time Landlord

Yes, it's very open to abuse and difficult to monitor. I've heard countless stories I won't bother to repeat here because I'll get the usual "the plural of anecdote is not data" kind of responses, or be called a racist, but suffice to say it's disruptive to the basic social contract we enter into when we pay tax and support those who need it.