Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Your Organ Are Belong to Us
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 pm 
Real Estate Developer

@JohnnyTheFox @tulip
Thanks. But I really can't accept.
It is not equivalence. Obviously I am highlighting an extreme example to illustrate that it's not an clear argument for. There are issues of precedent, religious issues and issues of state transgression.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

snaps wrote:
@JohnnyTheFox @tulip
Thanks. But I really can't accept.
It is not equivalence. Obviously I am highlighting an extreme example to illustrate that it's not an clear argument for. There are issues of precedent, religious issues and issues of state transgression.

They did those things without the laws being in place and is a cultural problem which is in the process of being resolved. There were civic and religious laws against dumping babies down toilets but that never stopped it from happening.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Shirley it would be easier for them make a mistake and say they thought you had opted in, and hopefully if brain transplants become a thing the type of people who get bothered by this have opted out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

snaps wrote:
Obviously I am highlighting an extreme example to illustrate that it's not an clear argument for. There are issues of precedent, religious issues and issues of state transgression.

You haven't highlighted an extreme example of organ harvesting from dead people who haven't explicitly consented.

You've used an example of State-directed murder of political prisoners in order to harvest organs.

That's like saying that cannibalism is an extreme example of barbecue.

It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 am 
Real Estate Developer

@Eschatologist
The Chinese example is nothing to do with any type of "consent", tacit or explicit.
The Chinese example is an extreme example of organ harvesting where the state is all powerful.

The Irish states' organ grab is about tacit approval.
They are assuming they have dibs on dead citizens organs, unless that citizen had said otherwise. A power they didn't have before.

As I said,
Quote:
There are issues of precedent, religious issues and issues of state transgression.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
Organ harvesting next on the agenda.

Quote:
Legislation for ‘opt-out’ organ donation to be published next month

Consent deemed granted unless person has registered their wish not to become a donor

Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 01:00

Ireland remains one of a few EU countries not to have an opt-out system. The Bill will also regulate the removal, retention, storage, use and disposal of human tissue from deceased persons. File photograph: Getty Images

Thirteen years after first being proposed, long-awaited legislation allowing “opt-out” organ donation in Ireland will be published next month by Minister for Health Simon Harris.
The Human Tissues Bill arose out of recommendations of the Madden Report in 2015. It primarily looked at practices where organs were removed from the bodies of deceased children and infants without the consent of their parents.

Successive governments have promised to publish the Bill and it was included in the Programme for Government of the current Fine Gael-led Coalition in 2016.
The documentary last week on RTÉ reminded us how vital this piece of legislation is and how essential organ donation is

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3640119

"The documentary last week on RTÉ reminded us how vital this piece of legislation is and how essential organ donation is"

get the ole heart-string tugging underway and promote someone to the hilt to achieve this.

the concept of bodily autonomy was corrupted to pass the 36th amendment, and now this. :sick:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I'm curious as to why anyone would be in favour of the State assigning itself de facto property rights over constituent parts of their own body.

People already donate organs if they make a personal choice to do so. Whats the issue with continuing the current system ie where people are required to have opted in?

Indeed, given the current ongoing public debate around the definition of consent as applied to cases of alleged rape or sexual assault, to include the non-acceptance of any form of 'implied consent' as a defence, including between married couples, it would seem potentially problematic for the State to be seeking to legislate in the opposite direction on this issue i.e. what would this be if not a form of 'implied consent'?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:47 pm 
First Time Buyer

Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
I'm curious as to why anyone would be in favour of the State assigning itself de facto property rights over constituent parts of their own body.

People already donate organs if they make a personal choice to do so. Whats the issue with continuing the current system ie where people are required to have opted in?

Indeed, given the current ongoing public debate around the definition of consent as applied to cases of alleged rape or sexual assault, to include the non-acceptance of any form of 'implied consent' as a defence, including between married couples, it would seem potentially problematic for the State to be seeking to legislate in the opposite direction on this issue i.e. what would this be if not a form of 'implied consent'?

I guess you can out out then. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:26 am 
Of Systemic Importance

propertyspire wrote:
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:

I guess you can out out then. Problem solved.

I guess married women should also be required to explicitly opt out of unwanted sex with their husband post-marriage lest the assumption of their having consented be implied by virtue of the existence of a marriage contract?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 am 
Real Estate Developer

@propertyspire

No, the problem would not be solved.
By opting out, you are also tacitly agreeing with a system whereby the state can have dibs on a dead citizens organs if the don't explicitly consent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property