Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEVERE COLD - Feb/Mar '18 - Rolling Updates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:23 pm 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:
Barmiest Loon wrote:
@Mantissa any chance we can get back to the weather for a minute and are you willing to answer my earlier question re who were the forecasters you were referencing with predictions of 5mm precipitation?

You have of course misquoted me. I was looking at YR (excellent) and Yahoo! Weather, both of which were forecasting "-5c for a few hours at a time with a few mm of precipitation on the worst days". They seem to have been correct on the temp but underestimated the snow in some areas. Where I am in SCD we've had about 10cm of snow so ~10mm of precipitation.

Barmiest Loon wrote:
Re the immigration if it is such an issue on the forum, and it is obviously one that is important to you, would you start a specific thread on it, perhaps quoting some of the threads that you feel have been derailed with an anti immigration theme? We might have a more interesting discussion on the topic with a little focus.

I'd be in favour of that but it would require mods to encourage people to keep immigration-related posts in one place, and split/merge threads as appropriate when someone tries to derail one. They do this for several other topics to keep things sane but I have no sense that the admins want to discourage immigration derailment. Unless the policy comes from the top, it won't happen.

Just curious, do you ever post here except to troll me? It's quite odd...

Thanks for the clarifying the reputable sources. The reason I asked was that the potential for this event to be extreme was evident to anyone with even little more than a passing interest in the weather. Yr and Yahoo Weather are not considered to be excellent by those with more than a passing interest.

And whilst you may have only received 10cm of snow in SCD I think it is fair to say the post you rubbished was not talking about people in SCD.

Mantissa wrote:
Just curious, do you ever post here except to troll me? It's quite odd...

I know you feel that and am happy to try and explain my posting habits if you can give me an example of when you feel I deliberately trolled you? I struggling to think of one. Though I do recall one out of character, intemperate post, where I was abusive, or white knighting as you like to call it. Unnecessary perhaps, but it was hardly trolling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:37 pm 
Speculator

The DART line is completely flooded:

https://twitter.com/snastablasta/status ... page%3D431

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:41 pm 
Speculator

Clontarf lol, that didnt take long:

https://twitter.com/barrykenny/status/9 ... 1161786368

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm 
Property Magnate

Thargor wrote:

Nonsense, SCD only had ~10mm of precipitation!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 pm 
Nationalised

Barmiest Loon wrote:
Thargor wrote:

See, that's the sort of low-effort shitposting I'm talking about.

Do you see the BIG FUCKING SEA on the other side of that wall? Perhaps the water came from there? Or do you think we got 2 meters of rain?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It's quite exhausting trying to follow the Boards Weather forum with so much activity. You also have regular idiots with 'I was out driving there, there's not much snow in my garden, Ireland is such an embarrassment I lived in Alberta and used to sunbathe in this, this shouldn't have been a red alert where I live'

The boards moderators have a clever way to deal with this - they're directed to post in a thread called 'Are there too many weather alerts?' And they can all play together there.

Maybe we could do the same and have a thread: Are Irish people racist monsters ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:16 pm 
Property Magnate

Mantissa wrote:
Barmiest Loon wrote:
Thargor wrote:

See, that's the sort of low-effort shitposting I'm talking about.

Do you see the BIG FUCKING SEA on the other side of that wall? Perhaps the water came from there? Or do you think we got 2 meters of rain?

Relax, that was a joke!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm 
Nationalised

Fair enough sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
Speculator

Genius goes for a dip in Sandycove, predictable results:

https://twitter.com/socodutweets/status ... 2659445760

I assume thats the SoCoDu from this forum?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Still snowing down here in Waterford and wind is beginning to pick up. Local shop has queues coming right out unto the street, never seen anything like it. Local offie is price gouging.

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

Last edited by Mossy_Heneberry on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:
AWAAF wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:
'Twas all very sensible and logical..... ;-)

Thank You! That's all I post - the sensible and logical :-)

My sincerest apology AWAAF.

No worries!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:
HiFi — Did I take you up wrong? Perhaps you could clarify what you meant by singling out the number of non-nationals in the shelter. Happy to amend if I took you up wrong like the white knights say.

No, you didn't take me up wrong at all. You just added something else. (I'm well used to it. )

I didn't single out anyone - the guy from the Peter McVerry Trust did - on the 9pm news last night. He made a point of mentioning that of the 106 people in one accommodation centre, 50 were non-nationals which I found interesting. (I was quite surprised he said it actually, for reasons that are clear here. Perhaps he was inviting us to draw conclusions?) He also said that many of them were new faces to the charity and that they had come from "squats". I take it he meant those kinds of overcrowded and probably freezing cold rentals that have been in the news of late.

As for my first point about 30 rough sleepers refusing offers of shelter, I note today that some of them were "sectioned" - under the Mental Health Act - and taken off the streets for their own good. I've often wondered why not all of them? Ban rough-sleeping and strictly enforce it. It wouldn't be all that difficult especially while the numbers are still relatively low. (I've good reason to believe the homeless charities wouldn't like this. In fact I'm on record as saying I believe they are certainly facilitating if not encouraging the practice with their "soup, sambos and sleeping bag" service.)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3411944
A number of people sleeping rough and refusing to go into emergency hostels were sectioned and taken into care under the Mental Health Act on Thursday

Anyway, storm in a teacup. (But entirely relevant on a property site/weather thread I would say.)

Oh and Supervalu in Deansgrange is open for anyone who's in the area - freshly baked bread in stock too - but no milk! Got my beer and wine though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm 
Too Big to Fail

HiFi wrote:

As for my first point about 30 rough sleepers refusing offers of shelter, I note today that some of them were "sectioned" - under the Mental Health Act - and taken off the streets for their own good. I've often wondered why not all of them?

There's a fella, must be in his 50s now that rough sleeps in Thurles, he's a fixture there and you'd know him if you saw he but he even slept out during the entire 2010 freeze. He has his routine of walking around the town, he gets free meals off the nuns I think but he'll outright refuse to sleep under a roof. He lost his wife and kids in a house fire and simply never recovered.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm 
Nationalised

HiFi wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
HiFi — Did I take you up wrong? Perhaps you could clarify what you meant by singling out the number of non-nationals in the shelter. Happy to amend if I took you up wrong like the white knights say.

No, you didn't take me up wrong at all. You just added something else. (I'm well used to it. )

Well I apologise if I attributed something to your post that was not intended. Thin skin this week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Sounds like a fair few here are suffering from cabin fever induced irritability and/or SAD...and they’ve only been in one day. They’ll have rickets before nightfall. Scurvy, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next