Post subject: Nama legal battle with journalist over meaning of ‘including
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
A dispute between a journalist and Nama over the meaning of the word “including” has spent four years travelling through the Irish courts with a final judgement expected from the Supreme Court soon, the Cleraun Media Conference heard this afternoon.
Journalist Gavin Sheridan detailed his long-running battle with the State-owned property agency which started in 2009 when he attempted to use European environmental legislation to extract some information about its operations.
Nama was not covered by Freedom of Information legislation but it was Sheridan who discovered that it could be forced to shine at least some light on how it was doing business by way of an Environmental Information regulation which covers public bodies “including... a board or other body established by or under statute”.

Initially Nama denied that it was a public body and then, when it was forced to accept that it was in fact such a body, it claimed that the “including” in the legislation actually meant “may include”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.1969086

A win here may be a little too late in the day. The delay has certainly worked in NAMA's favour.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

Post subject: Re: Nama legal battle with journalist over meaning of ‘inclu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm 
Nationalised

'Including' does not mean 'may include'. The correct formulation for 'may include' is 'may include'.

There, I've saved you 4 years and hundreds of thousands in legal fees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:13 pm 
Nationalised

Barney Gumble wrote:
'Including' does not mean 'may include'. The correct formulation for 'may include' is 'may include'.

I had this exact same argument with a corporate lawyer last week. It's actually an interesting legal point. His position is that "including" actually means "may include" in the sense of the following:

If you have a red-coloured wooden block with the number 9 written on it, consider the following clause: "I agree to eat all the blue blocks, including the one numbered 9".

Do you eat block 9? Or is this an indication that the phrase was in error, and you never intended to eat block 9. Maybe you thought block 9 was blue, or it was previously blue, but now it's not so you shouldn't have to eat it.

"May include" is in fact fraught with danger, since it has two different meanings. As well as implying that block 9 may or may not be blue, it can also imply that you might or might not intend to include that item in the list at all.

What you really mean is "including block 9, should it be determined to be blue". Or words to that effect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mantissa wrote:
I had this exact same argument with a corporate lawyer last week. It's actually an interesting legal point. His position is that "including" actually means "may include" in the sense of the following:

If you have a red-coloured wooden block with the number 9 written on it, consider the following clause: "I agree to eat all the blue blocks, including the one numbered 9".

Do you eat block 9? Or is this an indication that the phrase was in error, and you never intended to eat block 9. Maybe you thought block 9 was blue, or it was previously blue, but now it's not so you shouldn't have to eat it.

"May include" is in fact fraught with danger, since it has two different meanings. As well as implying that block 9 may or may not be blue, it can also imply that you might or might not intend to include that item in the list at all.

What you really mean is "including block 9, should it be determined to be blue". Or words to that effect.

This is why we can't have nice things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:

I'd read that as 'I agree to eat all the blue blocks, including the [blue block] numbered 9'. But then I've a background in literature rather than law.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Stop talking about blue and red play blocks!

Discuss what it's REALLY about!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Homeboy wrote:

There's no doubt about what it's really about though. It's about NAMA wanting to operate in total secrecy and using its considerable legal resources to indefinitely delay any uncomfortable disclosures.

Last edited by Eschatologist on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Justice delayed is justice denied.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm 
Nationalised

Homeboy wrote:
Stop talking about blue and red play blocks!

Eating blocks is not play, Homeboy. [shakes head]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
Homeboy wrote:

There's no doubt about what it's really about though. It's about NAMA wanting to operate in total secrecy and using its considerable legal resources to indefinitely delay any uncomfortable disclosures.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm 
Nationalised

Fair play to Gavin.

That's true journalism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:

NAMA's response: Thank you for your judgment. You may include us out. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Citizens should be able to rely on state bodies to abide by the judgments of the Courts and determinations by the Information Commissioner. NAMA are entitled to appeal, but the default position in the interim should be that they abide by the judgments/decisions until overturned. In my view, the law should be changed to provide for this. It is repugnant that a state body which is intended to only have a 6 to 10 year lifetime should spend 4 years appealing legal determinations as to citizens rights vis-à-vis that body. There is something fundamentally wrong in citizen's rights being denied by one state body rejecting the determinations of more qualified state bodies in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 am 
Nationalised

Negative Covenant wrote:
Citizens should be able to rely on state bodies to abide by the judgments of the Courts and determinations by the Information Commissioner. NAMA are entitled to appeal, but the default position in the interim should be that they abide by the judgments/decisions until overturned. In my view, the law should be changed to provide for this. It is repugnant that a state body which is intended to only have a 6 to 10 year lifetime should spend 4 years appealing legal determinations as to citizens rights vis-à-vis that body. There is something fundamentally wrong in citizen's rights being denied by one state body rejecting the determinations of more qualified state bodies in that regard.

Actually I don't agree with this, much as I find NAMA's position disgraceful. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, so once the information is released the appeal would become moot.