Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Golden Circle » NAMAwatch (Pt. I)

Post subject: NAMA €5.6 billion plan to build 20,000 new homes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:58 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1203/750994-nama/

Post subject: Re: NAMA €5.6 billion plan to build 20,000 new homes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:02 pm 
Nationalised

Did I hear somebody say 'mission creep'?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:10 pm 
Property Magnate

Is there any precedent anywhere for what is effectively a State agency building private housing? Does this happen in Scandinavia, for example?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:37 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The work of the DDDA in introducing connected individuals to lucravtive projects needs to continue even if the DDDA is out of the equation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
Nationalised

Such luck !

With an election coming up, the politicians will be able to present a housing solution.

Aren't coincidences just wonderful !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:48 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I have no real problem with the government stepping in to build private homes. In fact with the way developers are acting at the moment (for a whole complex mish-mash of reasons, I know) it seems vital that the government does step in. (I'd prefer site taxes as a first step, but this is fine too).

Surely though I can't be the only one wincing at the statement that these will mostly be "starter homes"? Even outside of the whole idea of "starter homes" being a thing, one of the major issues I have with Dublin at the moment is that there is very little quality family housing inside the canals. Is that just not even on the radar for anyone in government?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:20 pm 
Nationalised

muirgheasa wrote:
Surely though I can't be the only one wincing at the statement that these will mostly be "starter homes"? Even outside of the whole idea of "starter homes" being a thing, one of the major issues I have with Dublin at the moment is that there is very little quality family housing inside the canals. Is that just not even on the radar for anyone in government?

I thought the exact same. I can think of loads of reasons that 20,000 'mostly starter home' apartments in one area is a bad idea, and the only argument I can think of that is in favour of it is that the government can point and say 'starter homes! See!'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:26 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I disagree. 20,000 apartments/studios would potentially result in 20000 to 40000 people leaving shared accommodation which would then be redeployed as family homes.
There are plenty of family homes. For decades that was all that was being built. They are just being let as house shares which is unsatisfactory for the settled families living on the same streets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:42 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

dipole wrote:
I disagree. 20,000 apartments/studios would potentially result in 20000 to 40000 people leaving shared accommodation which would then be redeployed as family homes.
There are plenty of family homes. For decades that was all that was being built. They are just being let as house shares which is unsatisfactory for the settled families living on the same streets.

Are there plenty in the city centre though?

One of the major issues with the docklands is that it seems to empty out completely at the weekend. Obviously part of that is to do with normal "offices being closed" patterns, but at least part of it is that the population there is transient - there are tons of students and singletons who decamp elsewhere for the weekend, and people don't stay more than a couple of years.

And then there is also the whole social mix factor. If there are only singletons and dinky couples in the area nobody is going to hang around to raise kids there, or to develop all the amenities that you tend to get in more settled communities.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:46 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

muirgheasa wrote:
dipole wrote:

Are there plenty in the city centre though?

One of the major issues with the docklands is that it seems to empty out completely at the weekend. Obviously part of that is to do with normal "offices being closed" patterns, but at least part of it is that the population there is transient - there are tons of students and singletons who decamp elsewhere for the weekend, and people don't stay more than a couple of years.

And then there is also the whole social mix factor. If there are only singletons and dinky couples in the area nobody is going to hang around to raise kids there, or to develop all the amenities that you tend to get in more settled communities.

Yes, there are plenty in D7 and D8. Too many I'd say.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Golden Circle » NAMAwatch (Pt. I)