Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » IMF Watch (IRL)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will Ireland's corporation tax survive?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:42 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

If I hear 1 more FGer say 'we can't be the global tax policemen for Apples profits'.
That cretin Brian hayes on The Last Word now mouthing it off...Pascal O'Donoghue and Richard Bruton had the same spiel over and over again this AM.

It's pure BS...if you allow Apple to book it's Global Revenue's through an office in Dublin, then it gets taxed here. Or thats my simpleton reading of it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:59 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
It's pure BS...if you allow Apple to book it's Global Revenue's through an office in Dublin, then it gets taxed here. Or thats my simpleton reading of it

It's what's done now. It's what should have been done then.

Logically the second should follow the first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Another simpleton question

Noonan & FG are repeating that Apple did not get a special deal

Does the EU ruling completely contradict this is (i.e. they're lying) or are they deliberately using semantics to avoid it technically being a lie?

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:47 pm 
Nationalised

Renting And Proud! wrote:

Does the EU ruling completely contradict this is (i.e. they're lying) or are they deliberately using semantics to avoid it technically being a lie?

They didn't get a deal from Government (on paper anyway). Revenue allowed them to interpret things in a unique way that was contradictory to the spirit of the law.

That's my understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 pm 
Nationalised

Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:
Didn't like it much. It struck me at the time even as an example of how low-tech and crappy some "high tech MNC" jobs were and also looked like a bit of a cover-story for tax-avoidance or something (much like the pool-hall I used to play in always seemed too quiet (and too cheap) to be a real business and I always assumed it was money laundering...

Yeah, there's one in Dublin 6 that I always assumed was a front for something for exactly that reason...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:57 pm 
Nationalised

Madness of Crowds wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
Independent Alliance refuses to back FG plan to appeal Apple ruling

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.2774281

Principled, or just lining up to lobby for shares of the €13B for their constituencies? :nin

Bunch of populists demand populist action shocker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:43 pm 
Nationalised

It is a lie at every level. Revenue agreed to calculate their tax based on their expenses rather than their profits. This is unheard of as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:49 pm 
Speculator

Why is there even a debate about this? How is the non-existent head office not paying tax because it didn't exist not the screaming headline here? Even the FT barely mentions it, I genuinely dont understand this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Robbed from boards. :x

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Mantissa wrote:

It is a lie at every level. Revenue agreed to calculate their tax based on their expenses rather than their profits. This is unheard of as far as I know.

+1
also, look at this post/thread: viewtopic.php?p=889370#p889370

I've listened to various radio emissions (word chosen) today and yesterday on this. It boils down to politicians of the FG hue trotting out the line above, combined with tax-experts from likes of Grant Thornton, PWC, etc., giving a spiel "nothing to see here".

They're not so much telling lies as denying reality. It's Comical Ali territory. However, it's no so comical when you're locked in the asylum with them and outfits like RTE are rowing in behind it too. Brian Hayes was on Right Hook this evening, the very last thing he was going to do was cite elements of the finding that were wrong. I'm sure he hasn't even read it.

What I would so much want the interview to do is go exactly on that line. "What parts do you feel are incorrect, in detail?" "waffle", "do you disagree with point A", etc., "have you read the report Brian", "is it appropriate for you to come on to the national airwaves to express opinion without even reading the finding". Fantasy land of course.

This isn't even about tax avoidance, nor is it about our tax rates. It's about another type of cronyism, it's about yet more regulatory capture, it's about unfairness, it's about not having formal rules and processes, it's about being half-assed and then just trying to lie/distract your way out of this. It's about hoping that folk don't reason and apply logic.

but do read observer35's post linked above... read the finding too and make up your own mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » IMF Watch (IRL)