Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » IMF Watch (IRL)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Tax the rich - to 110%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 pm 
Nationalised

Madness of Crowds wrote:
USC and PRSI aren't taxes, according to this, no matter what you or I might think.

I've just assumed a basic 4% PRSI for most cases because the various classes and exceptions just make it a headache, but I think the real tax burden becomes a bit more apparent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm 
Nationalised

It appears that our taxation system stops being progressive when you earn more than €150k.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
It appears that our taxation system stops being progressive when you earn more than €150k.

Hmm. Up until a week ago I was earning quite a bit more than 150k. And I was paying quite a bit more tax than that graph shows, even with USC and PRSI included -- over 10% more, in fact. "Fortunately" I no longer have to worry about it. :x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Hmm. Up until a week ago I was earning quite a bit more than 150k. And I was paying quite a bit more tax than that graph shows, even with USC and PRSI included -- over 10% more, in fact. "Fortunately" I no longer have to worry about it. :x

I think all the married couples/joint assessment stuff is messing it all up.

The best way to avoid paying tax is to avoid earning money. Simples.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:17 pm 
IMF'd

Coles2 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Yeah, I think you're right. A couple both earning 40k, so 80k household income, each pay less than a third of the tax a single earner on 80k pays...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Exactly. That's why I gave them both up.
And I intend to spend my savings before they start taxing what you have, in addition to what you earn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Madness of Crowds wrote:
USC and PRSI aren't taxes, according to this, no matter what you or I might think.

If you don't get to spend it in the pub on a Friday night, then it's a tax ... BD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Madness of Crowds wrote:

If you don't get to spend it in the pub on a Friday night, then it's a tax ... BD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm 
Nationalised

room305 wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

That's taxed too! :(

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Open Window wrote:
room305 wrote:
That's taxed too! :(
I was reading about beer tax in France last night. The new budget proposes to increase by about 30% the excise duty. Some information I gleaned:
Excise in France on beer may increase to 7.20 euro per hectolitre (this is an average, because it's calculated based on alcohol content and size of brewery, with artisan brewers getting a bit of a break).
In Denmark, it's 8.55 euro per hectolitre. In Ireland it's 15.71, UK 22.70, and Finland 29.90!
In Germany, excise on beer is about 3.93 per hectolitre. XD

Anyway, the outcome in France should be a small impact on a demi at the local cafe (already quite expensive), but a noticeable increase on beer prices in the hypermarches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » IMF Watch (IRL)