Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Accident & Emergency

Post subject: Insulation question(s)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We had an extension built earlier this year. The insulation is amazing and spending time in that part of the house is a toasty joyfest.
The rest of the house is cold. And it's not even winter yet. Which insulation option should we choose? Here is some extra info:

- The outside of the house has brick cladding in parts and pebble dash on others. Although it's detached, it fits in with the style of other houses in the estate so we're hesitant about external insulation.
- During the extension project we saw inside the walls. There is a cavity which has a fairly thin piece of polystyrene in the middle (house built in early 1990s). This doesn't fill the space so I wonder if pumping into it is an option.
- Internal insulation seems like a runner. The only hesitation is that we would lose space.

Bonus question about internal insulation: the bathroom and en suite have relatively narrow walls/windows to the outside. I mean, they are rectangular rooms where the long side is an internal wall. Is it worth dry-lining the narrow walls? My hesitation there is the upheaval it will cause because the walls in question have toilets up against them.

Post subject: Re: Insulation question(s)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:27 pm 
Old Time Landlord

The partially filled cavity can be pumped, i got it done. My house is a late 50's 3 bed semi, a kitchen extension had partially filled cavities but the rest of the house had none but the whole thing was pumped.

Look at your attic and draft proofing first, windows second, walls last. Attic gives most dramatic effect. Pumping the walls is easy, no mess internally, takes about 2 hours and mine cost €1k. Dry lining would be my last choice of all of this, you loose space, your walls aren't as good at supporting shelves, you may come against spaces where doors open and shut near a wall you want to dry line and finally you might be creating / exacerbating a damp problem.

Also if you have any open fireplaces that you don't use get a chimney balloon or consider a stove.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:46 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thanks a lot, that's very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Anyone care to recommend a supplier/fitter in Dublin?

Got a few quotes last year but didn't go with any of them in the end as didn't get feeling a comfort. Think there a lot of cowboys in this business so any good experiences gratefully received.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Regarding the drafts:
We got a window repair man to come around and examine our windows. He replaced the brackets (which had buckled over time) on all but 3 windows. The improvement was immediately apparent with a couple of the windows. Once he was done I went around outside myself and used silicone around the window frames to fill any gaps between the frame and the window gap. I used expanding foam under one sill that had a bit of a gap.

I filled in one air vent altogether in a room that had a partition wall knocked and therefore had two vents.

The kitchen has a hip extension again with no access to the roof space to inspect the insulation situation. The playroom has it's own roof with no access hatch and I assume very little insulation. I've had to go around with silicone under the skirting boards in our playroom. Both of these areas are the coldest parts of the house. There's a discernible temperature drop in the floor tiles as you walk into the hip extension. Investigating the roof insulation in these parts of the house is on my to do list.

Sorry for the hijack Ixelles but I'd like a definitive answer from the Pin on this one. A timber frame house. I understood pumped wall insulation is a no no as you need to leave an air gap for the membrane to breathe. But technology and times change. Did I imagine reading somewhere that there is such a thing as breathable beads. And is it more expensive than regular beads?

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

No worries at all - interesting question

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 am 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Dubhgeannain wrote:
Sorry for the hijack Ixelles but I'd like a definitive answer from the Pin on this one. A timber frame house. I understood pumped wall insulation is a no no as you need to leave an air gap for the membrane to breathe. But technology and times change. Did I imagine reading somewhere that there is such a thing as breathable beads. And is it more expensive than regular beads?

I'd be very cautious on pumped wall insulation.

Was searching for links there to a site I read some good discussion on this before. Can't find right now.
Some of the possible issues (not all equally serious or likely):
  • cavity walls are designed first and foremost to keep moisture (especially driven rain) out of the internal wall layer and living space. Filling the cavity compromises this.
  • filling of the cavity is often uneven, gappy. Can leave thermal bridges and condensation problems.
  • depending on the insulation, settling/degradation can happen over time
  • moisture in the cavity can corrode the metal ties that normally hold the two layers of the wall together.
  • is there really a pay-back over reasonable time period?
  • reduced breathability of building fabric can create problems with damp and/or insulation
  • insulation value of existing building fabric (e.g. brick/timber) deteriorates with increased moisture and heat. Insulation can undermine this.
You'd really want to get good advice on this, and not from an insulation provider (if all you've got is a hammer... etc.,)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:22 pm 
Single Home Owner

There was supposed to be announcements in the budget re retrofitting funding being increased. Did I miss it or did the independents decide that that needed to diverted somewhere else at the last minute??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm 
Single Home Owner

Also this is a discussion on cavity wall. I'm not sure it's definitive one way or another http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Bleary wrote:
Also this is a discussion on cavity wall. I'm not sure it's definitive one way or another http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/

Thanks you! That's actually the page I was remembering when I was looking for relevant link.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Accident & Emergency