Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Accident & Emergency

Post subject: Virgin broadband causing house alarm to not work?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

So I got virgin media connected a few days ago and my house alarm has also stopped setting.

I had not put the connection together but rang Virgin about something else and was told I needed a wireless compatible box (GSM) to allow my alarm to work? WTF? Never heard of this before and they were short on detail.

I'm not connected to an alarm company like phone watch or anything; Just your standard alarm.

Advice needed!

Post subject: Re: Virgin broadband causing house alarm to not work?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm 
Nationalised

I had heard years ago that Phone Watch wouldn't work over a line with ISDN/ADSL provisioned, but if your alarm is not even connected to the phone line I don't see how this could be an issue. Are you sure you don't have some sort of monitoring?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 pm 
Nationalised

I suspect your alarm system was previously monitored via a landline and is still physically connected to the phone line. When you moved to Virgin I'm guessing you got your eir landline disconnected and the number moved to Virgin. So now the physical landline is dead and the alarm thinks there's a fault.

Assuming this is the case an alarm technician can likely reprogram the alarm to just ignore the phone line.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 am 
Property Magnate

Did your alarm sent you texts or ring you when it used to go off ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:
I suspect your alarm system was previously monitored via a landline and is still physically connected to the phone line. When you moved to Virgin I'm guessing you got your eir landline disconnected and the number moved to Virgin. So now the physical landline is dead and the alarm thinks there's a fault.

Assuming this is the case an alarm technician can likely reprogram the alarm to just ignore the phone line.

Yep.
Came here to say this.

Virgin lines will have nothing to do with your alarm.
But the phonewatch system went through your old landline telephone line, as does eir (and a few others) broadband..
This has probably been disconnected and is tripping the alarm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am 
Of Systemic Importance

mr_anderson wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

Yep.
Came here to say this.

But the phonewatch system went through your old landline telephone line, as does eir (and a few others) broadband..

I see. I had gone for broadband only, not broadband and home phone, so that might be it. I guess no active phone line, no functioning alarm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am 
Nationalised

Not ideal but is a VoIP phone a cheaper workaround if you can't resolve it? Check the ports though

https://www.blueface.com/phones/

In any case I think a stand alone Blueface phone is handy - Pay as You Go, 076 number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am 
Homeless

It depends on you alarm brand but you could get a GSM (mobile phone) module installled. I had one added to mine (HKC) when it was installed for €160 for the part.

Then it just has a SIM card and you make sure to top it up with Vodafone/3/etc regularly (I check the balance every few months online)

And you can text it to turn it on/off and it sends you texts when it goes off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 pm 
Nationalised

TheJackal wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

Yep.
Came here to say this.

I see. I had gone for broadband only, not broadband and home phone, so that might be it. I guess no active phone line, no functioning alarm

It's slightly more complicated than that. Virgin phone service operates from their Horizon box, not over your existing phone line. So if you wanted to use the Virgin service for your alarm you would need to wire the alarm back to the POTS ports on your Horizon box. This has the disadvantage that monitoring will not work in the even of a power failure.

However since your alarm is not monitored you don't need any phone line at all; you just need to get it programmed to stop checking for the phone line. If you *do* want it to be monitored it will be easier, cheaper and more secure to put in a GSM module. Pretty much all new monitored alarms will use GSM rather than landline.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Accident & Emergency