Post subject: Sindo: Media Negativity Treasonous????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:29 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
Four people recently said to me that negative comment on the Government and the state of the country should be declared treason against the State. They were dead serious.

Three of them specified RTE as the putative traitor; one specified all of the media, including this newspaper. Admittedly, three of them were fairly active and influential supporters of Fianna Fail. The fourth was, as far as I know, a non-aligned concerned citizen. But they all scared the hell out of me.
And now Fianna Fail, the main Government party, supposedly dedicated to protecting our freedoms of democratic free speech and legally expressed opinion, however strong, is of the opinion that the party should refuse to appear on Frontline on RTE television. This was suggested at a party meeting by Limerick West TD Niall Collins, who said Fianna Fail guests were treated as "the entertainment" on the programme. Mr Collins later said that "the whole room" was of the opinion that the programme did not give balanced coverage of current events. It clearly did not occur to him that his party colleagues, and all politicians of all parties, are in public office on the say-so of the public, and must be publicly answerable to any and all comment, negative or otherwise.

And on the same day, Senator Donie Cassidy announced that RTE's "negativity" was to be debated in the Seanad, a piece of anti-democratic effrontery by the Upper House verging on censorship. The truth, it would seem, subverts the State and the body politic. It would seem that our Seanad may not accept that if the truth subverts the State, it's the State that's in the wrong, not those who voice the unpleasant truth.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/rte-too-timid-to-use-the-b-word-2392348.html

Post subject: Re: Sindo: Media Negativity Treasonous????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:39 pm 
Nationalised

It's time to start documenting this fascism before it gets out of hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:47 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Find Emer O'Kelly herself ridiculous. Have a vivid recollection of a scene in RTE's newsroom over 30 years ago when she went on a rant about those causing a fuel shortage at the petrol pumps. She had turned up late -couldn't get petrol. This ignored the fact that like all newseaders at the time she had been delivered by Blue Cabs. 'Send in the army ' It was on all fours with but even more hysterical than what which she now complains about.

Emer was of course Fine Gael press officer back in the mid-60's and has the the odd dash of colour about her during her career.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

j@sus - first it was "nobody saw it coming" and now its "nobody had better talk about it" :sick:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

I find this latest government wheeze of trying to get cross-party consensus on the budget a disturbing development. Basically what Fianna Fail and the Green Party are attempting to do is close down debate about the economy and leave us, the public, without any voice to represent us in the corridors of power - we become impotent as voters. In my view this is blatantly anti-democratic and a very worrying development, especially in view of how intolerant FF already is of what I would consider a very tame media in this country - I have yet to see, hear or read anything on Irish TV or newspapers that truly takes this government to task.

Seems to me that if you scratch the surface of the average gombeen redneck FF party member and you get a rabid fascist struggling to get out. And it didn't take Gormley long to show his true colours re. democracy, did it?

Worrying times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm 
Nationalised

So flying the economy into a mountainside is fine, but complaining about the pilots who did it is treasonous? Roger that - just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page...
XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 pm 
Nationalised

From the Seanad, 20th Oct 2010.

Senator Terry Leydon wrote:
'It would be worthwhile having a debate on the RTE Authority and the relevant legislation. We should bear in mind that section 18 of the Broadcasting Authority Act 1960 states: “It shall be the duty of the Authority to secure that, when it broadcasts any information, news or feature which relates to matters of public controversy or is the subject of current public debate, the information, news or feature is presented objectively and impartially and without any expression of the Authority’s own views”.

As Members will be aware, we spend €190 million in television licence fees and we give €55 million per year from the social welfare budget to the RTE Authority. The director general, the chairman and the board of the RTE Authority should review the presentation of programmes. Deep concern has been expressed. It is in the national interest that RTE complies with the 1960 legislation and that we ensure impartiality and fair play in the presentation of facts and politics at this crucial stage.'

Senator Donie Cassidy wrote:
'On Senator Leyden’s call for a debate on RTE, most of us involved in public life have always appreciated, recognised and acknowledged the tremendous work done by RTE on radio and television during the years, as well as the magnificent individuals who work for it as broadcasters. However, I must support the comments made by Senator Leyden and other colleagues who are at a loss when it comes to the issues of the licence fee and the need for balance. The director general and chairman of the RTE authority might wish to consider the terms of reference attached to RTE’s licence on the need for balance. It is unfair on taxpayers who pay the licence fee to be subject to the negative opinion being broadcast; there should also be good news from time to time. I have complimented RTE and always stood behind it. I had my own sponsored programme for four years and made my contribution to the station in other fields, as Senator Mooney knows at first hand. That said, it is never the wrong time to say the right thing as Members and public representatives who are privileged to be here for a short time. RTE have a responsibility to bring the people with it at this difficult time. There are excellent people at the station at chief executive, chairman and board member level of the authority. Everyone in RTE wants to do the right thing and the issue is with the few who are in the business of seeking good TAM ratings. Ultimately, however, one must seek to uplift the people. There is a responsibility in this regard. I will, therefore, facilitate a debate in the House on the matter in response to Senator Leyden’s request.'

So there you have it. The leader of the Senate firing shots across the bow of RTE to force them to reign in presenters who tell things as they are.

Martin Mansergh also singling out a few presenters...
Quote:
'Notwithstanding my immense respect and affection for much of the output of RTE, I doubt if there is a state broadcasting station in the entire world — democratic or undemocratic — that is so free to be as critical of and hostile to the Government of the day. I am, obviously, talking only about certain individuals or programmes...'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 am 
Nationalised

Frontline is sometimes quite compulsive where Prime Time is a disgusting piece of shite presided over by a mannequin that evidently spends more time on its appearance than it does in researching the facts. Unsurprisingly the FFers were not complaining about the mannequin.

They must loathe Vincent Brown too but some FFers are well able for him .......such as Micheál Martin . Mansergh is often reduced to a blithering idiot when he appears on Vincenzo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I think media are too pro-government.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 am 
IMF'd

They'll be complaining about The Week in Politics next, as Sean O'Rourke last night practically accused the government of being in a shadowy cabal with developers and golden circles to bail out the banks and their pals.

Either give us a wave, Sean, or this is spreading in far wider circles.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 am 
Nationalised

The 'Confidence in Media?' meeting in the Shelbourne 24th September 2010.

Given the track record of the likes of Brian Lenihan, Brendan Keenan, Marc Coleman and Austin Hughes perhaps it should have been called 'Confidence in Me?'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Confidence in Media?!?!

J@sus - they really do consider the media to be their political mouth-pieces don't they. You can see the thought-process: And now the little gobshites are trying to sell papers by make us look bad. Right - thats it - something is going to have to be done to reign the little f*ckers in and remind them who is in charge around here.

Only in Ireland XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:37 pm 
Nationalised

yoganmahew wrote:
They'll be complaining about The Week in Politics next, as Sean O'Rourke last night practically accused the government of being in a shadowy cabal with developers and golden circles to bail out the banks and their pals.

Either give us a wave, Sean, or this is spreading in far wider circles.

+1. Barry Andrews seemed pretty outraged.

I've been noticing that RTE have been setting the attack dogs on government spin-merchants for the last couple of months. Ok, maybe that's over-egging it. But they have been more vociferous. And it's clear the spin-merchants aren't liking it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Running scared now. - They don't like the values and assumptions they held (and still hold) being exposed for what they are.

For example, their assumption that certain privileged parts of society should be entitled to live off the high rents and mortgage repayments that an 'underclass' are forced to bear.

Or, that the government is entitled to utilise taxpayer money to attract votes, subsidise and shovel cash towards favoured sectors of the economy, and pay themselves salaries fit for kings.

As per my signature, I think it is quite apparent that it is the government and their cronies (which comprises a fair portion of the population of this island), who bear most responsibility for destroying the hard earned capital of this nation by facilitating its "betrayal into hopelessly unproductive works". And they continue to betray capital that we haven't even earned yet.

No wonder they are afraid of continued scrutiny - even the half arsed, incompetent scrutiny that is all that our mainstream media seems capable of in current times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 pm 
IMF'd

Absolutely, roc, absolutely.

This is crony capitalism at its very worst.

So long and thanks for all the fish.