Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2014
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:35 am 
Too Big to Fail

sorehead wrote:
Clearly most people opt for cheaper schemes, but even so it'll impact on far more people than Noonan indicated.

Every time Noonan opens his mouth he just confirms how far removed from the average Joe Soap he is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 am 
Under CAB Investigation

sorehead wrote:
There was some clarification of the health insurance stats in the IT, it seems around 90% of policy schemes cost over 1000 euro, however from Revenue's stats 50% of policy holders have schemes that cost over 1000. (Can't find a link for this, saw it on the paper version.)

Clearly most people opt for cheaper schemes, but even so it'll impact on far more people than Noonan indicated.

I'd guess the move will tempt a lot more people than Noonan expects into switching to sub 1k schemes, in MNCs the schemes tend to be pricey full featured schemes and since they're paid for by the MNC most people don't work out the BIK less tax relief costs. But now I think many more people will try to cut their health insurance costs next year.

I would guess that any health insurers profits come mainly from the more expensive schemes, so there will be knock on effects if they lose these.

I know a few people working for American companies. Their health plans are the absolute top bracket plans. Includes shit like air ambulances if you have an accident etc

I'm told in America health benefits are a very important part of remuneration so they give the best to attract the best and then have the same policy in all their over seas operations

I know several people paying more in BIK that my (pretty decent) plan costs after the tax relief

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Nationalised

Renting And Proud! wrote:
I know a few people working for American companies. Their health plans are the absolute top bracket plans. Includes shit like air ambulances if you have an accident etc

Those would be non-Irish insurance plans by the sounds of them. Not sure if they're even covered by tax relief (certainly not as source as the insurers aren't Irish in most cases). I used to have one. Happy days 8DD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm 
IMF'd

sorehead wrote:
There was some clarification of the health insurance stats in the IT, it seems around 90% of policy schemes cost over 1000 euro, however from Revenue's stats 50% of policy holders have schemes that cost over 1000. (Can't find a link for this, saw it on the paper version.)

I'd guess the move will tempt a lot more people than Noonan expects into switching to sub 1k schemes, in MNCs the schemes tend to be pricey full featured schemes and since they're paid for by the MNC most people don't work out the BIK less tax relief costs. But now I think many more people will try to cut their health insurance costs next year.

I would guess that any health insurers profits come mainly from the more expensive schemes, so there will be knock on effects if they lose these.

Right, but most plans are not for a single adult. 1000 per adult plus 500 per child is a bunch of tax relief.

Or am I missing something? :?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

You are missing nothing.

Some worked examples of the health insurance change here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm 
Nationalised

On the plus side, it will incentivise all the insurers to offer the most attractive package for under €1000. Might produce some value...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 pm 
IMF'd

fungus wrote:
You are missing nothing.

Some worked examples of the health insurance change here.

Actually, I am missing a bit - from your moneyguide link (thanks):
Quote:
In Budget 2014 it was announced that from 16th October the tax relief for medical insurance premiums will be restricted to the first €1,000 per adult insured and the first €500 per child insured.

The 'first' is the bit I was missing - I was assuming a policy for two adults/two children would have an 'allowance' of 3000 for tax relief, but moneyguide reckons it is applied individually within the policy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

According to the rag 'The Department of Finance has clarified that anyone with income of over €3,174 from rent and savings will have to pay PRSI (pay=related social insurance) on the interest.'

http://www.independent.ie/business/budg ... 70170.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Neo Landlord

how much of a logistical nightmare is this. A lot of paye employees have never had a reason to file a tax return of their own.

the one word for this budget is sneaky, robbing more of any interest made on savings and taking money out of my private pension to pay for another fupping year of incompetence like o'reilly who cant come within an asses roar of a balanced budget.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

corkfella wrote:
how much of a logistical nightmare is this. A lot of paye employees have never had a reason to file a tax return of their own.

the one word for this budget is sneaky, robbing more of any interest made on savings and taking money out of my private pension to pay for another fupping year of incompetence like o'reilly who cant come within an asses roar of a balanced budget.

Well its all part of the job creation plan - revenue will have to hire more staff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:10 pm 
IMF'd

NegativeEquity wrote:
corkfella wrote:

Well its all part of the job creation plan - revenue will have to hire more staff.

A question - does the tax free allowance cover this or is it only related to income tax? What about USC?

Thank you!
(Elderly relative with savings=tax return=pain in the ass...).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:30 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

corkfella wrote:

If the banks don't take the PRSI at source this will be a flop for the Gov, as it will be largely ignored by your average PAYE won't have the knowledge nor inclination to start filling out tax returns. And Revenue won't be arsed looking for it off Joe Soap due to the small amounts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:40 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mantissa wrote:
On the plus side, it will incentivise all the insurers to offer the most attractive package for under €1000. Might produce some value...

There may be more under 1,000 but they will come with less benefits.

Weren't insurers suppposed to be coming out with new tailored packages? i.e. you start with a bare bones package and add on whichever extras you want. Should keep costs down

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm 
Single Home Owner

TheJackal wrote:
corkfella wrote:

If the banks don't take the PRSI at source this will be a flop for the Gov, as it will be largely ignored by your average PAYE won't have the knowledge nor inclination to start filling out tax returns. And Revenue won't be arsed looking for it off Joe Soap due to the small amounts

If PAYE workers are receiving rental income don't they have to file a tax return for that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Namaniac wrote:
TheJackal wrote:
corkfella wrote:

If PAYE workers are receiving rental income don't they have to file a tax return for that?

Yes. My premise here is towards PRSI on DIRT only

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next