Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2014
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:56 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Garda checks at industrial estates to clamp down on welfare cheats

GARDAI are to set up checkpoints on industrial estates and at airports in an attempt to weed out social welfare cheats.
Social Protection Minister Joan Burton has confirmed that gardai will be taken on by her department directly to tackle the issue.

I can't see how this will actually work.

Garda have no right to ask you where your coming or going unless they suspect you have committed a crime or are about to commit one???

http://www.independent.ie/business/budg ... 67349.html

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:02 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

They rely on the ignorance of the general public to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

If Boards.ie is a microcosm of public opinion, then there is widespread approval for these Gardai actions whether they are legal or not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

It's not illegal but this along with other tax collection activities which are foisted on to the shoulders of the police force undermine their role as defenders of the peace in society.
You have be a fairly confident person to refuse to answer a question posed to you by a Garda.

Could be worse though. At least they are not beating the heads off people walking down the street like they do in Spain. Not much of a consolation though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
Quote:
Garda checks at industrial estates to clamp down on welfare cheats

GARDAI are to set up checkpoints on industrial estates and at airports in an attempt to weed out social welfare cheats.
Social Protection Minister Joan Burton has confirmed that gardai will be taken on by her department directly to tackle the issue.

Garda have no right to ask you where your coming or going unless they suspect you have committed a crime or are about to commit one???

I was under the impression that they need to have an official from the revenue department or other government agency to provide such a reason for stopping people and checking their status, tax evasion IS a crime.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Old Time Landlord

The Gardai have the power to stop you and ask your name and address, the DSP official does not. If the DSP official is standing beside the Garda at the time then they now have reason to believe you are working when perhaps you are claiming as well. Don't see anywhere that the Gardai are getting powers to ask more than stated above...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:37 pm 
IMF'd

dipole wrote:
It's not illegal but this along with other tax collection activities which are foisted on to the shoulders of the police force undermine their role as defenders of the peace in society.
You have be a fairly confident person to refuse to answer a question posed to you by a Garda.

Could be worse though. At least they are not beating the heads off people walking down the street like they do in Spain. Not much of a consolation though.

Their role is more than defenders of the peace...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

yoganmahew wrote:
Their role is more than defenders of the peace...

Garda Síochána agus an fear a bhailiú cáin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 pm 
Too Big to Fail

owenm wrote:
The Gardai have the power to stop you and ask your name and address, the DSP official does not. If the DSP official is standing beside the Garda at the time then they now have reason to believe you are working when perhaps you are claiming as well. Don't see anywhere that the Gardai are getting powers to ask more than stated above...

No, they don't unless they have reasonable cause or suspicion.

Mind you, they'll just make it up as they go along.

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

Last edited by Mossy_Heneberry on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:27 pm 
Nationalised

fungus wrote:
If Boards.ie is a microcosm of public opinion, then there is widespread approval for these Gardai actions whether they are legal or not.

If boards.ie is a microcosm of public optimism we're all fscked anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

Must admit that I'm not a legal eagle but in many cases companies and individuals use letters using big words and threats as bully boy intimidation in the hope the person on the receiving end folds. In many cases it works

I once dealt with a service provider who was very fond of making up quotes on contract law and trespassing/criminal damage as he went along. I consulted with a compliance officer in work (woo hoo, free legal advice 8DD ) and was in a position to tell him to fuck off.

Also helped a friend out who was being threatened with legal action from another crowd. I pointed out they'd breached data protection legislation about 5 times in the letter they sent him, helped him draft a response and hey presto no further response (FWIW I wasn't being an asshole, the company were totally in the wrong)

Alas most people just get a fright and fold

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

Early start for home renovation scheme

www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/early- ... -1.1571071

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am 
Of Systemic Importance

NegativeEquity wrote:
Early start for home renovation scheme

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.1571071

Beat you to it!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=61082&start=15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 am 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
owenm wrote:

Some questions in the thread whether the Gardai can do even that... But what if the DSP official and Garda follow you home, DSP official takes a look at your kids and decides they don't look like yours, then the Garda can remove the kids for DNA tests and in the process get the other info. They have the kids as hostage too in case you decide to make a run for it.

Even if you don't have kids, the DSP official might just decide your wife/husband doesn't look like she/he would really have freely married you and should be taken into protective custody for some questioning and her/his own protection (could have been trafficked in as part of white slave trade).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
If boards.ie is a microcosm of public optimism we're all fscked anyway.
+1,000,000 the amount of fucking PC arseholes over there is unreal. I have 2000+ posts over there in special areas but it is pervasive PC bollocks.

Back_on_topic I recall something in a DSP act giving some powers to officers.

yep : http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1993/en/ ... c0212.html

there was something about this being extended/increased last year for exactly that reason .... any good googlers out there ?

edit : found it, they added ports

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/ ... html#sec17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next