Board index » The Soup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:39 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 2686
Location: Dublin SE
Luan wrote:
The sad thing is that Bernard McNamara probably didn't know the building was missing fire stops, etc.
The sickening thing is hundreds of builders on the site did :sick:

Ahhh come on even you know the ethos and leader ship comes from the top.

If 100's at the bottom knew then the architect knew, the engineer knew. The culture and running of the business coming from the top was to blame. This was deliberate cost cutting and criminal negligence IMHO.

Imagine what they would do in the US if a bunch of J1 students died in an apartment block fire because of a lack of fire stoping?

The developer would already be in jail.

Here fuck all will happen.

_________________
"Perfect is the enemy of the good"
Voltaire (1694 - 1778)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:55 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 1, 1970
Posts: 23301
I had deleted from my split house anecdote but follwoing sentiments were also expressed in conversation with Architect contact.

They also felt that the whole fire safety issue of all these apartment blocks was much much bigger than was being reported/discovered. They felt it was being kept out of the media somehow.

So if that's one brief chat with an architect... how many more anecdotally share such sentiments?

_________________
Follow The Pin - https://twitter.com/dailypinster

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Of course it's important to remind ourselves that most of us live in houses that have poorer fire standards than that since they were built to older standards. That's how it was explained to me on the Pin. It doesn't make it ok or in any way excusable but it doesn't make Longboat a "death trap" or whatever.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:29 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5520
The private sector is fundamentally incapable of solving this problem due to limited liability of directors and the ability to wind up companies and effectively dissolve their obligations.

State inspections are the only solution. Just fucking do it already.

And this in a week where the govt is announcing tens of billions of "infrastructure investment", in a period where local authorities are voting to cut their property tax revenues. And yet there is still apparently no money, capacity or will to regulate.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:44 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Eschatologist wrote:
The private sector is fundamentally incapable of solving this problem due to limited liability of directors and the ability to wind up companies and effectively dissolve their obligations.

State inspections are the only solution. Just fucking do it already.

And this in a week where the govt is announcing tens of billions of "infrastructure investment", in a period where local authorities are voting to cut their property tax revenues. And yet there is still apparently no money, capacity or will to regulate.


+1.

Although I do wonder if you could solve it via the insurance route; e.g. by requiring a 20-year insurance policy or bond to be posted by the developer (in practice, they would pay an insurer). Presumably the insurers would then police it by setting premiums depending on the level of confidence in the builder's processes etc. It that workable?

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:07 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Apr 3, 2015
Posts: 1106
Eschatologist wrote:
The private sector is fundamentally incapable of solving this problem due to limited liability of directors and the ability to wind up companies and effectively dissolve their obligations.

State inspections are the only solution. Just fucking do it already.

And this in a week where the govt is announcing tens of billions of "infrastructure investment", in a period where local authorities are voting to cut their property tax revenues. And yet there is still apparently no money, capacity or will to regulate.


Why can't the councils review building work - like the UK and in the US ("up to code" is an often heard statement).

They should not be held liable for errors but it would be better to have them check certain specific critical aspects of a build than some architect or QS who is being paid by the developer and might have a relationship with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5520
Mantissa wrote:
Although I do wonder if you could solve it via the insurance route; e.g. by requiring a 20-year insurance policy or bond to be posted by the developer (in practice, they would pay an insurer). Presumably the insurers would then police it by setting premiums depending on the level of confidence in the builder's processes etc. It that workable?

Insurance? A bit like like Homebond?

edit: the other problem with insurance liabilities is that they tend to get picked up by the citizenry anyway, cf. Quinn.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Last edited by Eschatologist on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:59 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 1553
Location: South County Dublin
Anyone got the RTE News interview MacNamara gave when he went bankrupt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3646
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
AWAAF wrote:
Anyone got the RTE News interview MacNamara gave when he went bankrupt.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0113/126304-mcnamarab/ -> Listen: Drivetime: Drivetime 13/01/10 ->40min to 60m


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:30 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Eschatologist wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Although I do wonder if you could solve it via the insurance route; e.g. by requiring a 20-year insurance policy or bond to be posted by the developer (in practice, they would pay an insurer). Presumably the insurers would then police it by setting premiums depending on the level of confidence in the builder's processes etc. It that workable?

Insurance? A bit like like Homebond?

edit: the other problem with insurance liabilities is that they tend to get picked up by the citizenry anyway, cf. Quinn.



A bit like Homebond if
1) it was run by the insurance industry rather than the construction industry
2) it provided coverage for a full range of construction defects and errors, rather than just "my house spontaneously fell over"
3) it was actually possible to make a claim

Take your point re solvency but that's a bigger issue for the whole insurance industry.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

    Board index » The Soup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com