Post subject: Re: Need pitbull journalist: NAMA, McNamara, fire "death tra
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:51 am 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:
Of course it's important to remind ourselves that most of us live in houses that have poorer fire standards than that since they were built to older standards. That's how it was explained to me on the Pin. It doesn't make it ok or in any way excusable but it doesn't make Longboat a "death trap" or whatever.

It's worth looking at the Fire Services Statistics (particularly the cause of fatalities towards the bottom of the page) to put the fire risk into perspective. Of course buildings should be built to meet the fire regulations, but very few people die in apartment fires, and I would be surprised if anyone ever died in a fire that spread from a neighbouring apartment. I've no doubt it could happen (or even that it will happen), but you're probably 20 times more likely to die in a car crash and and if you really want to reduce that risk further fit working fire alarms, don't smoke in bed, don't use a chip pan and ensure that your electrical appliances are safe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Residents have turned down a 9k contribution according to Prime Time. DDDA and liquidator footing the rest of the bill.

This is somewhere between 3% and 5% of the value of these apartments. Many of the residents are in negative equity but quite a few are not.

Something similar could happen to the owner of a semi-D, like needing total re-wiring or a new roof.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Civil service pensions are too high!
Quote:
John Fitzpatrick paid ~€400k for an apartment in Longboat Quay in 2015. "That's part of my pension," said the former Dublin Sheriff
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fo ... 78788.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 pm 
Property Magnate

temene wrote:
Civil service pensions are too high!
Quote:
John Fitzpatrick paid ~€400k for an apartment in Longboat Quay in 2015. "That's part of my pension," said the former Dublin Sheriff
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fo ... 78788.html

Why too high? I presume he got a lump sum, he could have bought an annuity but instead he became a landlord.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 am 
Too Big to Fail

Skippy 3 wrote:
Residents have turned down a 9k contribution according to Prime Time. DDDA and liquidator footing the rest of the bill.

This is somewhere between 3% and 5% of the value of these apartments. Many of the residents are in negative equity but quite a few are not.

Something similar could happen to the owner of a semi-D, like needing total re-wiring or a new roof.

If they weren't in NE they probably are now, who's going to buy one of those units?
A proportion of residents are shared ownership and are standing firm on not making any contribution as ddda (or whoever is taking responsibility for same) are part owners. Many private residents will pay as they just want the problem to be fixed and their fight is not being helped by all the brouhaha in the media. There's a lot of other build quality problems that are surfacing with residents who are just not happy with their lot and that's confusing the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm 
Single Home Owner

Did they ever resolve these issues. Allegedly paid 250
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/lo ... 54932.html now up for sale for 365
Http://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments- ... in-1504273