Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What party will get your first preference in the General Election?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 am
The Anti Austerity Alliance 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Fianna Fail 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Fine Gael 44%  44%  [ 44 ]
The Green Party 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Renua 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Sinn Fein 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
The Social Democrats 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
The Labour Party 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Others 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Can't vote 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
Won't vote 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 101
 Post subject: Re: General Election 2016. How will you vote?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
MyTwoCents wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
On related note, the Army are apparently visiting my son's school this week to present them with an Irish flag. The kids are furiously learning the national anthem. Strikes me as somewhat jingoistic, but no harm I suppose. If it gets them interested in history it would be good.

No harm in some ways as you say if it gets them interested in history but the prism through which they receive their historical lesson matters. I saw a picture recently in my parents' house drawn by my niece who's attending a Gaelscoil. It was a picture of the soldiers giving their school an Irish flag. In the corner of the page was a union jack crossed out and a speech bubble saying 'Boo ar na Sasanaigh!' Not particularly nice anyway but especially dodgy given that her own grandfather was English (though he died a long time before she was born)! That sort of stuff is what turns me off it all.

I presume I'm not the only one who recalls the version of Irish history we were taught in primary school, where the noble, fierce and courageous - but astonishingly unlucky - Irish were somehow defeated again and again by the Vikings, the Normans, themselves, King Billy, Cromwell, the potato, and so forth. It was whatever the level below 'cartoonish' is.

My father was taught by Ruairí Ó Brádaigh. Now that was an education.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
MyTwoCents wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
On related note, the Army are apparently visiting my son's school this week to present them with an Irish flag. The kids are furiously learning the national anthem. Strikes me as somewhat jingoistic, but no harm I suppose. If it gets them interested in history it would be good.

No harm in some ways as you say if it gets them interested in history but the prism through which they receive their historical lesson matters. I saw a picture recently in my parents' house drawn by my niece who's attending a Gaelscoil. It was a picture of the soldiers giving their school an Irish flag. In the corner of the page was a union jack crossed out and a speech bubble saying 'Boo ar na Sasanaigh!' Not particularly nice anyway but especially dodgy given that her own grandfather was English (though he died a long time before she was born)! That sort of stuff is what turns me off it all.

I presume I'm not the only one who recalls the version of Irish history we were taught in primary school, where the noble, fierce and courageous - but astonishingly unlucky - Irish were somehow defeated again and again by the Vikings, the Normans, themselves, King Billy, Cromwell, the potato, and so forth. It was whatever the level below 'cartoonish' is.

Speaking of which...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1eESpe2X4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Fine Gael for me - voting tactically to keep Labour out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Will be away on business on the day.

Probably would have been independent though.

Post subject: Re: GE 16 - How will you vote?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 pm 
Nationalised

This poll will be rebooted shortly.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4