Post subject: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mortgage
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
I am a primary school teacher, teaching in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. I finished a four-year teaching degree and graduated in 2011. On the day I started teaching in September 2011, I was discriminated against, simply because of my age. I love my job, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to come to terms with the fact that, over our careers, the teacher in the next room will earn over €100,000 more than me.

In 2010 the Government cut the pay for public servants by an average of 14pc. On top of that, the pay of every new entrant teacher was cut by a further 14pc. We were told this was part of the measures agreed when the government accepted the troika bailout for the banks. The new entrants pay cut was imposed as a budget measure.

Code:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/going-to-college/on-a-teachers-wage-i-may-never-be-able-to-afford-a-mortgage-34523000.html

It begins XX the spiral of demands for ever higher wages.

She should be happy she has a stable job with clear promotion levels and bonuses and a freaking pension, I would kill for both in my area of IT :(

Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:26 am 
Property Magnate

Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 am 
Real Estate Developer

the liquidator wrote:
Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?

They should take homes from old teachers and hand them to new teachers 8-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 am 
Single Home Owner

Surprise surprise they fail to mention their salary and the level of mortgage they 'may never be able to afford'.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:38 am 
Of Systemic Importance

OK, so a local 3-bed semi can be had for 220k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... 15/3397017

FTB would need 10% deposit (22k).

That leaves 198k for mortgage. 3.5x LTI would require household income of 56.5k.

Two people on the lowest point on the post-2011 scale would earn €28k (~ €1979/mo) each, meeting the LTI requirement.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/p ... uary-2011/

Mortgage payments would be under a grand a month, or about 25% of NDI.

So not only can she one day afford a mortgage on a normal family house (with a similarly earning partner) but they could do so on the lowest point of the lowest salary scale.

As I read it she would be bumped one point on the scale each year, and in 2016 be earning €34,113.

(admittedly I have no idea how the pension deductions affect net pay, and haven't attempted to include those, but there still seems to be plenty of headroom)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

The only reason new entrants pay was cut was because it was the cut the union would agree to (who gives a sh1t about new teachers - they aren't union members yet!).

I don't see any reason that two people in the exact same job should be on different payscales (not just different pay, but totally distinct payscales). Not to mention that those new entrants are further down the ponzi scheme that is the state pension. Teachers nearing retirement will enjoy that pension, but if I was a 22-year-old teacher I wouldn't be betting on the cash being there to pay that in 45 years.

By the way - why is it "entitlement" when younger people want something, whereas older people looking for something (eg pensioners marching against cuts to the pension that they haven't even almost paid for) aren't described in those terms?

tl;dr Ah yes, the auld "back in my day I worked 48 hours a day in the mines, and ate dirt when I was hungry. Young people don't know they're born!" culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

2001 all over again. But yeah, the new entrants have been screwed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:59 pm 
Nationalised

satechi wrote:
the liquidator wrote:

Or else just the salaries!

I don't understand the pay scale for teachers; is a teacher with 25 years experience much better than one with 20 years?Or more likely to be poached into a high flying private sector job

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

slasher wrote:
satechi wrote:
the liquidator wrote:

Or else just the salaries!

I don't understand the pay scale for teachers; is a teacher with 25 years experience much better than one with 20 years?Or more likely to be poached into a high flying private sector job

I saw some research from the Gates Foundation once, which suggested that teachers improve either a lot or not much at all for about the first five years and then reach a steady state of competence or incompetence.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

obese_cat wrote:

The new entrants have not been screwed. They agreed to do the job for the money offered.

It's the old entrants that have been not-screwed, but benchmarking only goes one way apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:03 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The elephant in the room here is as usual, house prices.

30 years ago, a Teacher and a Guard could afford to buy in single digit Dublin post codes. They were sought out by the Banks because of their permanent jobs and security.
Now they have no chance without an inheritance or at least this side of 40.

McWilliams in the Indo yesterday said he recently spoke to a bar owner in D2 who struggles to get good staff anymore as none can afford to live within an asses roar of the area.

Housing is killing the city and killing most of the people who use it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:07 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

FreeFallin wrote:
The elephant in the room here is as usual, house prices.

Not in this room. House prices in the Blanchardstown area are reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Eschatologist wrote:
obese_cat wrote:

The new entrants have not been screwed. They agreed to do the job for the money offered.

It's the old entrants that have been not-screwed, but benchmarking only goes one way apparently.

I guess you missed the various 'benchmarking' exercises known as FEMPI legislation that cut teachers' pay by much more than they ever got under benchmarking. After 8 years now, a flat €1,000 of that was restored this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

satechi wrote:
Quote:
I am a primary school teacher, teaching in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. I finished a four-year teaching degree and graduated in 2011. On the day I started teaching in September 2011, I was discriminated against, simply because of my age. I love my job, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to come to terms with the fact that, over our careers, the teacher in the next room will earn over €100,000 more than me.

In 2010 the Government cut the pay for public servants by an average of 14pc. On top of that, the pay of every new entrant teacher was cut by a further 14pc. We were told this was part of the measures agreed when the government accepted the troika bailout for the banks. The new entrants pay cut was imposed as a budget measure.

Code:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/going-to-college/on-a-teachers-wage-i-may-never-be-able-to-afford-a-mortgage-34523000.html

It begins XX the spiral of demands for ever higher wages.

She should be happy she has a stable job with clear promotion levels and bonuses and a freaking pension, I would kill for both in my area of IT :(

the downturn is now a fait accompli.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:11 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

jehosephat wrote:
I guess you missed the various 'benchmarking' exercises known as FEMPI legislation that cut teachers' pay by much more than they ever got under benchmarking. After 8 years now, a flat €1,000 of that was restored this year.

FEMPI wasn't benchmarking.