Board index » The Soup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mortgage
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Nov 20, 2014
Posts: 994
Quote:
I am a primary school teacher, teaching in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. I finished a four-year teaching degree and graduated in 2011. On the day I started teaching in September 2011, I was discriminated against, simply because of my age. I love my job, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to come to terms with the fact that, over our careers, the teacher in the next room will earn over €100,000 more than me.

In 2010 the Government cut the pay for public servants by an average of 14pc. On top of that, the pay of every new entrant teacher was cut by a further 14pc. We were told this was part of the measures agreed when the government accepted the troika bailout for the banks. The new entrants pay cut was imposed as a budget measure.


Code:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/going-to-college/on-a-teachers-wage-i-may-never-be-able-to-afford-a-mortgage-34523000.html


It begins XX the spiral of demands for ever higher wages.

She should be happy she has a stable job with clear promotion levels and bonuses and a freaking pension, I would kill for both in my area of IT :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:26 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Posts: 641
Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 am 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Nov 20, 2014
Posts: 994
the liquidator wrote:
Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?


They should take homes from old teachers and hand them to new teachers 8-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Jan 25, 2016
Posts: 117
Surprise surprise they fail to mention their salary and the level of mortgage they 'may never be able to afford'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:38 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5520
OK, so a local 3-bed semi can be had for 220k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... 15/3397017

FTB would need 10% deposit (22k).

That leaves 198k for mortgage. 3.5x LTI would require household income of 56.5k.

Two people on the lowest point on the post-2011 scale would earn €28k (~ €1979/mo) each, meeting the LTI requirement.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/p ... uary-2011/

Mortgage payments would be under a grand a month, or about 25% of NDI.

So not only can she one day afford a mortgage on a normal family house (with a similarly earning partner) but they could do so on the lowest point of the lowest salary scale.

As I read it she would be bumped one point on the scale each year, and in 2016 be earning €34,113.

(admittedly I have no idea how the pension deductions affect net pay, and haven't attempted to include those, but there still seems to be plenty of headroom)

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Oct 7, 2014
Posts: 1015
The only reason new entrants pay was cut was because it was the cut the union would agree to (who gives a sh1t about new teachers - they aren't union members yet!).

I don't see any reason that two people in the exact same job should be on different payscales (not just different pay, but totally distinct payscales). Not to mention that those new entrants are further down the ponzi scheme that is the state pension. Teachers nearing retirement will enjoy that pension, but if I was a 22-year-old teacher I wouldn't be betting on the cash being there to pay that in 45 years.

By the way - why is it "entitlement" when younger people want something, whereas older people looking for something (eg pensioners marching against cuts to the pension that they haven't even almost paid for) aren't described in those terms?


tl;dr Ah yes, the auld "back in my day I worked 48 hours a day in the mines, and ate dirt when I was hungry. Young people don't know they're born!" culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 26, 2008
Posts: 1507
2001 all over again. But yeah, the new entrants have been screwed.

_________________
The bust is getting bustier.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:59 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Posts: 8799
Location: London, innit
satechi wrote:
the liquidator wrote:
Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?


They should take homes from old teachers and hand them to new teachers 8-



Or else just the salaries!

I don't understand the pay scale for teachers; is a teacher with 25 years experience much better than one with 20 years?Or more likely to be poached into a high flying private sector job


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Posts: 4760
slasher wrote:
satechi wrote:
the liquidator wrote:
Ah yes, the auld 'someone else has something and I don't' culture is alive and thriving as strong as I have ever seen it in Ireland. As a new entrant she had her difficulties, but did she not benefit from lower house prices in recent years compared to the madness of those entering in the mid to late 2000s?


They should take homes from old teachers and hand them to new teachers 8-



Or else just the salaries!

I don't understand the pay scale for teachers; is a teacher with 25 years experience much better than one with 20 years?Or more likely to be poached into a high flying private sector job


I saw some research from the Gates Foundation once, which suggested that teachers improve either a lot or not much at all for about the first five years and then reach a steady state of competence or incompetence.

_________________
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.


Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On a teachers wage, I may never be able to afford a mort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5520
obese_cat wrote:
2001 all over again. But yeah, the new entrants have been screwed.

The new entrants have not been screwed. They agreed to do the job for the money offered.

It's the old entrants that have been not-screwed, but benchmarking only goes one way apparently.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

    Board index » The Soup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com