Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary Robinson’s Papers / "Presidential Library "
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 am 
Of Systemic Importance

ps200306 wrote:
I assumed this guy was being sarcastic ... then I realised to my horror that maybe he wasnt!

slasher wrote:
Quote:
Sir, –
It’s a pity Diarmaid Ferriter does not explore all the facts surrounding the Mary Robinson Centre in Ballina in his column “Robinson legacy doesn’t need a vanity project in Mayo” (Opinion, October 22nd).
This is not just a library with her presidential papers on display, but will be an educational facility, a human rights centre and will host events as well as being a museum. Ms Robinson is a member of The Elders group which has included among its ranks the late Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter, Desmond Tutu, Martti Ahtisaari, Ela Bhatt among others. Only last year we were graced with a visit from Mandela’s widow, Graca Machel.

This is the scale of what we are talking about. The Mary Robinson Centre exists already in Ballina, it is just that it has no home as yet. In Ballina we are already blessed with the Jackie Clarke library, a collection of historical papers and artefacts.

I recall when Mayo County Council bought an old bank building in disrepair for €2.6 million and spent another few million on it just before the property crash to house the collection, there were many doubters. But it has proven to be a huge success.

The Robinson house on the banks of the Moy will be taken over entirely for this new project and will also be a great success. I suspect that among the begrudgers are many who never forgave Ms Robinson for winning the 1990 presidential election heralding a new era in Irish politics.
– Yours, etc,

BRENDAN CAFFERTY
Ballina, Co Mayo.

Did he not read aloud his letter before posting it! The fact he accentuated that the money was spent at the height of the madness points to this guy being a 'local' fundamentlaist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:55 am 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Quote:
Sir, – How easily they forget! Diarmaid Ferriter clearly has forgotten rule number one: you cannot criticise Mary Robinson, ever!
This rule was brutally beaten into us as children (and adults) by those mean people called journalists who ruled the land by fear throughout the 1990s.
It was horrible, just horrible. Some day, maybe, when we have the courage, we might expose them for what they did.
Not great for a historian to be forgetting such important and contextual information.
Maybe he might write about it some day.

– Yours, etc,
CIONNAITH
O’HEACHTIGHEIRN
Rathfarnham,
Dublin 16.

Whoooah, that guy is clearly nuts. They shouldn't publish letters like that which just cause embarrassment to his friends and family.

Edit: Or maybe he's just being sarcastic? But then why? ffs.

Because the IT love witty sarcastic letters, especially from those readers in Sth Dublin
I'm really confused by this one.

"How easily they forget! Diarmaid Ferriter clearly has forgotten rule number one: you cannot criticise Mary Robinson, ever!" Ok. That's sarcasm. And I get it. Some people feel that journalists don't write enough shit things about MR. Does she deserve more criticism? I don't think so. She's well regarded around the world for highlighting important issues and certainly while she was President she was widely regarded as a good one.

"This rule was brutally beaten into us as children (and adults) by those mean people called journalists who ruled the land by fear throughout the 1990s." Well, that never happened so obviously it's a sarcastic response to the previous sarcastic line? Possible by another, separate voice in the author's own head? It makes no sense. It sets off alarm bells for me.

"It was horrible, just horrible. Some day, maybe, when we have the courage, we might expose them for what they did."Now he's reaffirming it, so that implies that the original sarcasm was intended to be mocking and that anyone who feels that they can't criticise MR is being a bit stupid?

"Not great for a historian to be forgetting such important and contextual information. Maybe he might write about it some day."So where are we now? Is this sarcasm? Obviously the 'important and contextual information' was nothing of the sort, so I assume it is meant to be sarcastic? But then where are we going with this? And why?

Ffs, it's rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 pm 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
"This rule was brutally beaten into us as children (and adults) by those mean people called journalists who ruled the land by fear throughout the 1990s." Well, that never happened so obviously it's a sarcastic response to the previous sarcastic line? Possible by another, separate voice in the author's own head? It makes no sense. It sets off alarm bells for me.

That one made me smile. It's a sly reference to journalists constantly banging on about how Ireland was ruled by fear in past decades. Can't believe you don't get it. There was a prime example of a journalist doing it in another Pin thread literally this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:27 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

That one made me smile. It's a sly reference to journalists constantly banging on about how Ireland was ruled by fear in past decades. Can't believe you don't get it. There was a prime example of a journalist doing it in another Pin thread literally this morning.
I got the reference alright, but it makes no sense to introduce it. It's all absurd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:08 pm 
Nationalised

Maybe one man's witty sarcasm is another man's off-colour tasteless remark? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 pm 
Property Magnate

'The Elders' :roll: Pass the sickbag.

Coles2 wrote:
certainly while she was President she was widely regarded as a good one

The president doesn't do anything. A good one is one who shuts up, stands where they're supposed to and doesn't get sick in the ambassador's lap. It's not a high bar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 pm 
Nationalised

tinneym wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

The president doesn't do anything. A good one is one who shuts up, stands where they're supposed to and doesn't get sick in the ambassador's lap. It's not a high bar.
Are you too young to remember her election and presidency? (christ, I'm starting to sound like jmc). Before her election the presidency was for faithful old party hacks who smelled of gin and piss. Of course our president is confined by the Houses of the Oireachtas, but it is an office that can articulate our principles and ethics in a way that a political partisan figure like the Taoiseach could never do. Mary Robinson created that role and it was during that period 1990-1997 that Ireland really started to emerge from the pit of years of despondency, socially, economically and politically. Much of what we now take for granted as modern Ireland was what she represented.

I genuinely think she deserves our respect. This whole malarcky about the building in Ballina, her library and papers doesn't put her in a good light, but I think it's more likely that she has feck all to do with it directly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Coles2 wrote:
tinneym wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Are you too young to remember her election and presidency? (christ, I'm starting to sound like jmc). Before her election the presidency was for faithful old party hacks who smelled of gin and piss. Of course our president is confined by the Houses of the Oireachtas, but it is an office that can articulate our principles and ethics in a way that a political partisan figure like the Taoiseach could never do. Mary Robinson created that role and it was during that period 1990-1997 that Ireland really started to emerge from the pit of years of despondency, socially, economically and politically. Much of what we now take for granted as modern Ireland was what she represented.

I genuinely think she deserves our respect. This whole malarcky about the building in Ballina, her library and papers doesn't put her in a good light, but I think it's more likely that she has feck all to do with it directly.

Ireland would have 'emerged' during that period with or without Robbo....nothing to do with her.
And as for your final line....thats one hell of an assumption. This story broke a while ago in the Phoenix and went mainstream this weekend. She hasn't been out to deny it yet.
This loos like something her whole family are in on and they're hardly doing it without her help

Last edited by FreeFallin on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Perspectives differ.

For me the best thing about her presidency was the day I got off school for her inauguration.

No politician is a saint and in a democracy it is perfectly acceptable to challenge this kind of wheeze.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:39 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Irelad would have 'emerged' during that period with or without Robbo....nothing to do with her.
It was everything to do with her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Irelad would have 'emerged' during that period with or without Robbo....nothing to do with her.

How? How did she effect such colossal change in a role such as that of President of Ireland?
She attended events, made lots of speeches, cut ribbons, stucka candle in a window etc etc. Tokenistic stuff that comes with that role

So according to you, without her, there'd have been no economic boom, social changes etc from 1990-97!!!
Imagine if she hadn't ran off when the UN came calling - we'd be world leaders in everything by now :roll:

Last edited by FreeFallin on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

How? How did she effect such colossal change in a role such as that of President of Ireland?

So according to you, without her, there;d have been no economic boom, social chnges etc from 1990-97!!!
Imagine if she hadn't ran off when the UN came calling - we'd be world leaders in everything by now
(it's best to avoid this kind of stuff)

Do you mind me asking roughly how old you are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Nice. The real Coles2 is definitely back

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:13 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

What was the causal mechanism?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

the only reason she was elected was because FG fielded a candidate a more worthy but too weak to capitalise on Lenihan's faux pas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next