Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm 
Single Home Owner

Just a query here, but could someone explain to me how Bob Geldof has a vote in Ireland and also in the UK. I don't understand this. I thought you had to be ordinarily resident in a country before you could cast your vote in that country.It's my understanding that Bob Geldof voted in the Brexit Referendum in the UK, so this would imply that he is currently registered to vote in the UK as well as Ireland.

BOB'S WARNING Bob Geldof reveals he’s voting in favour of repealing the eighth amendment but has warned both sides to respect each other

The rock legend says that this referendum differs a lot compared to the marriage equality vote which he labelled a 'no-brainer'
By Aoife Finneran
16th March 2018, 6:24 pm
[color=#FFFF00]BOB Geldof has revealed he will vote to repeal the eighth amendment which restricts abortion.[/color]

However, the Boomtown Rat has cautioned that the upcoming referendum is “different” to the marriage equality vote, warning that both sides will have to respect one another’s views.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2318826/bob- ... ach-other/

/static/images/base/harp.jpg

Number 23 of 1992

ELECTORAL ACT, 1992

General provisions relating to the registration of electors.

11.—(1) (a) A person shall not be registered as an elector more than once in any registration area nor in more than one such area.

(b) Where it appears that a person may, prima facie, be eligible for registration in respect of two or more premises, the question of which of such premises he shall be registered for shall, subject to any expression of choice by such person, be determined by the registration authority.

(c) Where the premises referred to in paragraph (b) are situated in two or more registration areas, the registration authority for each such area shall take such steps as it considers necessary to ensure that the person is not registered in respect of more than one such registration area.

(d) The provisions of sections 7 , 8 , 9 and 10 shall have effect subject to the provisions of this subsection.

(2) (a) The qualifying date for every register of electors shall be the date specified for that purpose in the Second Schedule .

(b) For the purposes of this Part, a person's age shall be taken to be that person's age on the date specified for that purpose in the Second Schedule .

(3) For the purposes of this Part—

(a) a person shall be deemed not to have given up ordinary residence if he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up,

(b) a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be accepted as a correct statement.

(4) (a) Where an elector who is a whole time member of the Defence Forces is resident in any barrack or other premises used for military purposes and there are premises in which he would, but for his service, be ordinarily resident on the qualifying date and, not later than the last day for making claims for registration, he furnishes to the registration authority for the registration area in which the last-mentioned premises are situate, a statement of such premises the statement shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be accepted as a correct statement and he shall be registered in respect of those premises.

(b) (i) In this subsection “a whole time member of the Defence Forces” means—

(I) a member of the Permanent Defence Force, or

(II) an officer of the Reserve Defence Force employed continuously on military service or duty during a period during which a proclamation authorising the calling out of reservists on permanent service is in force, or during a period during which reservists are called out on permanent service under section 88 of the Defence Act, 1954 , or

(III) a reservist called out on permanent service.

(ii) In the foregoing subparagraph “the Permanent Defence Force”, “officer”, “the Reserve Defence Force”, “proclamation authorising the calling out of reservists on permanent service” and “reservist” have the same meanings respectively as they have in the Defence Act, 1954 .

(5) Where on the qualifying date, a person is detained in any premises in legal custody, he shall be deemed for the purposes of this section to be ordinarily resident in the place where he would have been residing but for his having been so detained in legal custody.

(6) Where on the qualifying date, a person is a patient or inmate in any hospital or home for persons suffering from mental disability or similar institution, he shall be deemed for the purposes of this section to be ordinarily resident in—

(a) in case the place where he would have been residing but for his having been such a patient or inmate can be ascertained by the registration authority — that place,

(b) in case the place mentioned in paragraph (a) cannot be ascertained by the registration authority — the place where he last resided before he became such a patient or inmate.

Certain persons deemed to be ordinarily resident in the State.

12.—(1) In this section—

“appropriate registration authority” means the registration authority for the area in which the premises referred to in subsection (3) (a) are situate;

“qualified person” means a citizen of Ireland who has reached the age of 18 years and is a civil servant and is a member of a mission and who, for the time being, because of the requirements of his duties, is serving outside the State;

“member of a mission” means a person—

(a) falling within the definition of “members of the mission” contained in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations done at Vienna on the eighteenth day of April, 1961, as set out in the First Schedule to the Diplomatic Relations and Immunities Act, 1967 , or

(b) falling within the definition of “members of the consular post” contained in the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations done at Vienna on the twenty-fourth day ofApril, 1963, as set out in the Second Schedule to the said Act, or

(c) who is a member of a Permanent Mission of Ireland to an international organisation;

“spouse” means a person who is the spouse of a qualified person and is a citizen of Ireland and has reached the age of 18 years and is residing with the qualified person outside the State.

(2) A person, who satisfies the appropriate registration authority that he is a qualified person, and the spouse of such person shall, for the purposes of this Part be deemed to be ordinarily resident on the qualifying date in the premises in the State in which, but for the requirements of his duties, the qualified person would be resident.

(3) A qualified person may, not later than the date specified for that purpose in the Second Schedule , send to the appropriate registration authority a statement in the form directed by the Minister providing the following information—

(a) the address of the premises in the State in which, but for the requirements of his duties, he would be resident on the qualifying date; and

(b) particulars of his spouse (if any).

(4) Every statement by a person pursuant to subsection (3) shall be accompanied by a certificate in the form directed by the Minister from the Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs certifying that such person is a qualified person.

(5) A statement by a qualified person as to the premises in the State in which he would be resident on the qualifying date shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be accepted as a correct statement, and he and his spouse (if any) shall be registered in respect of those premises.

(6) A person who submits a statement to a registration authority pursuant to subsection (3) shall supply to the registration authority any information which such registration authority may require for the purposes of this section and the provisions of section 133 (1) shall apply to a requirement by a registration authority under this section.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992 ... print.html

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 pm 
Too Big to Fail

That's it done. Myself and herself both voted No.

I was on the fence when this thread started. It doesn't appear that it managed to sway people from one side to the other but with regards undecided its served its purpose.

Thanks for all the posts from both sides.

I believe repeal will win the day, I just hope we're not left in limbo with regards to legislation too long. Contradictorily I really hope the proposed legislation gets reigned in somewhat.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Heard from my mother that she met a lot of her friends from her bridge club at the polling station, and they had all proudly voted no. Men and women in their 70s and 80s, rural.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:08 pm 
Property Magnate

I think men under 45 will be the demographic that will make or break this referendum. They have generally been silent in this campaign, understandably so.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

TheHiddenHand wrote:
Just a query here, but could someone explain to me how Bob Geldof has a vote in Ireland and also in the UK. I don't understand this. I thought you had to be ordinarily resident in a country before you could cast your vote in that country.It's my understanding that Bob Geldof voted in the Brexit Referendum in the UK, so this would imply that he is currently registered to vote in the UK as well as Ireland.

(3) For the purposes of this Part—

(a) a person shall be deemed not to have given up ordinary residence if he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up,

(b) a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be accepted as a correct statement.

(6) A person who submits a statement to a registration authority pursuant to subsection (3) shall supply to the registration authority any information which such registration authority may require for the purposes of this section and the provisions of section 133 (1) shall apply to a requirement by a registration authority under this section.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992 ... print.html

If there is a narrow margin - theres the court challenge.
Thousands of tweets about coming home to vote could scupper the whole thing....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:58 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Just voted in Brigid's Boys school (Mart Lane, Foxrock) In my 15-plus years in the area, I've never seen such a large crowd on polling day - and I always vote in the evening. What this means in terms of the outcome, I'm not sure - the demographic was quite broad.

(Voted NO by the way.)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm 
Property Magnate

Sosthenes wrote:
If there is a narrow margin - theres the court challenge.
Thousands of tweets about coming home to vote could scupper the whole thing....

I really hope not. One thing I hate more than whining about votes influenced by fake news and Russians is legal challenges to an election.
I'd rather see a thumping YES victory than a court case about tweets.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

will there be an exit poll after 10pm?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

AWAAF wrote:
will there be an exit poll after 10pm?

Both RTE and the Irish Times are compiling exit polls, I imagine it'll take a little time to complete.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm 
Nationalised

New thread here - A Post 8th Amendment World

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118