Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 am 
Nationalised

Here is an investing an example of the many factional groups who have been mobilised and united under the umbrella of activism.

Quote:
GCN MAGAZINE ISSUE 342 - June 2018

We’re out in the nick of time with our special Repeal issue, featuring an iconic photo by Katie Donohoe, taken the fateful day Maser’s repeal mural on the wall of The Project was painted over. Inside we reveal the results of our survey on the queer referendum vote, ask LGBT’s about the issues involved and speak to Anna Cosgrave, the creator of the Repeal Project. We meet the powerhouse protest group Radical Queers Resist and the writer and director behind ‘A Day In May’, a major stage production celebrating the 2015 marriage equality referendum victory. It’s a choc-a-bloc issue with a queer activism heart. Read it now!

https://gcn.ie/magazine/repeal-issue/

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 am 
Of Systemic Importance

I see both the Indo and the IT online have the same banner picture....bring out the boogey man for 1 final scare at bedtime!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:29 am 
Under CAB Investigation

This campaign has been divisive - but has managed to bring together the Catholic Church and anti-Catholic Orange Order :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:35 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Here is an investing an example of the many fractional groups who have been mobilised and united under the umbrella of activism.

https://newrepublic.com/article/148518/ ... referendum
Quote:
For the Christian right, in America and abroad, Ireland’s abortion vote is therefore significant: It will either bolster or damage a legal regime that enforces one of its most closely held religious positions. The fight to restrict abortion is a global one. The American Christian right, in particular, has taken a keen interest in the referendum, and there’s concrete evidence that some factions have tried to influence the vote, both by purchasing Facebook ads and sending activists to Ireland to campaign on behalf of the Eighth Amendment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/23/euro ... index.html
Quote:
"We were deathly afraid we were going to get turned away at the gate," says Berning, and "wanting to make sure that people didn't feel threatened by us coming."
Groups dedicated to repealing the Eighth Amendment described the couple's tactics as deceptive.
Faulkner said she and Berning arrived at Dublin airport in early May and told immigration officers they "had no specific plans for the trip other than documenting" the campaign. Once they were let through the airport gates, the pair began to mobilize, designing canvassing materials they described as "information outreach" that another member would carry to Ireland from the US.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Eschatologist wrote:
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
[The above is a simple comparison of legislative protections that will be afforded to personal data versus that which will be afforded to an unborn child in the event of the proposal being carried and the proposed legislation being enacted as is.

You're free to identify an error is said comparison if you so wish.

You're comparing GDPR and abortion regulation? Is that where the debate is now?

A much better comparison would be tennant law:

Non paying tenant remains for years in property against owners wishes - at least the woman knows with certainty her unwelcome guest is going to leave with 9 months

The government denies landslords free hand on deciding who get to visit and live in their property.
Interference in the management of property e.g. rent caps

I could go on :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 am 
Under CAB Investigation

let me guess none of the repealers will be doing anything for the next general election.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Eschatologist wrote:
You're comparing GDPR and abortion regulation? Is that where the debate is now?

No Im not. Im contrasting the protection afforded an individual's PPS nunmber by the State with your proposal to afford zero protection to the life of an unborn child. Its a pretty bizarre state of affairs for a civilised country.

Quote:
Since we're pretty much out of time, let me attempt summarise your position

- You claim to want to support legal abortion in Ireland

Im against the Government's proposal to provide for unrestricted access to abortion for no reason whatsoever up until 12 weeks and on vague mental health grounds to 6 months thereafter. Im in favour of access to abortion under certain circumstances.

Quote:
- You like almost all of the proposed legislation except that you'd like to insert a couple of words to ensure that the doctor approves of the procedure.

Ive stated that Im of the view that if the proposed legislation had been a little less expansive it would have passed comfortably. Currently, the result appears to remain in doubt.

-
Quote:
You like aspects of the models operating in other European countries, including Denmark, where abortion is permitted past 12 weeks for various reasons including socioeconomic.

In response to your badgering, I provided you with Denmark as an exampe of an EU state that has legislation in place that provides for abortion in certain specific circumstances ie rape....something which you and others have suggested cannot be done

Quote:
- You are going to vote No regardless, the result of which will be no legal abortion in Ireland.

Im abroad and so I dont have a vote. I would have voted No if I was in Ireland.

Quote:
This position is entirely incredible, but representative of a dishonest subset of the No campaigners who are using the "not this, something else" as a tactic to sow FUD and persuade undecideds to conservatively opt for the status quo until something else comes along that satisfies your objections.

Something else isn't going to come along. All main political parties are aligned behind Repeal. If No is carried, we'll be back to what we have now for another political generation, for at least a decade.

In the meantime, Irish women will continue to have zero medical support with crisis pregnancies, and Ireland will continue to export its abortions to the UK.

My reading is as Ive previously stated as follows ...

Quote:
You have been provided with the proposed legislation. Therefore you know the outcome in the event of the proposal being passed.

To simplify, if you are in agreement with the Government proposal to remove/strike down the right to life of the unborn from the constitution, and to legislate for a regime that permits unrestricted access to abortion services up to 12 weeks and thereafter on vague mental health grounds up to 6 months, then you should vote Yes.

If however you believe the current proposal goes too far and you oppose abortion on demand ie you feel that there should be more (some!) restrictions in place with regard to what is permitted, then you stand in opposition to the Government proposal and should vote No.

It's that simple.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

The rules state that you must remove any badges, etc., when within 50 meters of the polling station, so I did. Very annoying to see a few really old men going in to vote while wearing their no badges and nobody telling them off. Typical.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 am 
Too Big to Fail

croquette wrote:
The rules state that you must remove any badges, etc., when within 50 meters of the polling station, so I did. Very annoying to see a few really old men going in to vote while wearing their no badges and nobody telling them off. Typical.
You should've reported it to the registrar.
I remember years ago, inside the door, voting stations had stacks of free copies of the Indo with a screaming biased headline. When I reported it ~1600, I was viewed as a crank.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am 
Too Big to Fail

Plane hits plane in London, yet it figures our referendum in the headline

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

croquette wrote:

Of the six people in my polling station 2 x wearing yes stickers plus 1 wearing a repeal t-shirt.

Sticker wearing - probably related to the 2 teams giving them out at the top and button of the road. The team on the Ballsbridge side was definitely with 50 mts of the polling station.

As a No voter - I thought nothing of this but than again I am a landlord And have a thick skin :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 pm 
Too Big to Fail

FreeFallin wrote:
I see both the Indo and the IT online have the same banner picture....bring out the boogey man for 1 final scare at bedtime!

That image link changed by itself! :shock: :o

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

I just seen that! Divine intervention :P

I'll put the original image in here for posterity

Last edited by FreeFallin on Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:48 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
temene wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

I just seen that! Divine intervention :P

There must be 100 times more processions of blue haired feminists voting today than nuns. Where's that photo ? :P

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

They always show nuns voting - never understood why.

Particularly amusing on this occasion though. I wouldn't be sure they'd all vote No. Some very pragmatic nuns out there. (And I'm an atheist)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next