Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: New nationalist, anti-immigration party launches in Irel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
They are very very very quiet.

Considering Europe is shifting, with anti-immigration govts in AT, DK, CZ, PL, HU, SK. Strong votes in NL, FR, DE, IT, SE, FI, GR, etc.
Why no similar party making waves in Ireland?

A few things I believe explain we haven't seen a similar reaction.

1. Eastern Europeans wanting to live in rural Ireland has seen a reversal of rural decline that has dogged national politics for a century. They're church going and on a night out in a pub with the music up, superficially there's no discernable difference. The national basketball scene got a tremendous shot in the arm from this influx.

2. We are an emigrant nation, we understand apartness and we understand that an emigrant will always have an eye towards home and we don't begrudge them that.

3. We haven't had the major influx that other former colonial nations have experienced. Parts of Manchester where I am at the moment feel practically like a different country. That apartness has actively encouraged by previous administrations not tackling schools that didn't even teach english, entrenching cultural and ethnical insularity.

4. We already have foreigner problems with British Nationalists in ulster who think Irish people speaking Irish is an act of cultural supremacy so we're well used to ignoring the "muh culture" excuse when it's used as a vehicle to attack us.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post subject: Re: New nationalist, anti-immigration party launches in Irel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Looks like FF may be going down this route :)
FF Louth Cllr Emma Coffey
"I am calling for a hard border to be implemented to protect our local and national economy and to protect the influx migration entering Europe in my country, Europe's back door."
Fianna Fáil should "call it as it is, and state that a hard border must be implemented to protect not just our national integrity but also our rights as European citizens".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9