Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: New National Maternity Hospital
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nuns- ... 9803508979
Quote:
A religious order that owes millions of euros in compensation for child abuse will retain ownership of the new National Maternity Hospital after it is built with more than €200 million of taxpayers’ money.

The move to increase the assets of the Religious Sisters of Charity has been described as extraordinary following the recent revelation that it still owes €3 million to the state redress scheme.

The new hospital will be built on the Elm Park site at St Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin. St Vincent’s Healthcare Group is run and owned by the Sisters of Charity, which has paid only €2 million of the €5 million it offered to contribute in reparations to abuse victims. Its most recent payment was in 2013.

The religious order will own the maternity hospital as well as a new independent company that has been established to guarantee corporate governance, but the HSE has said that its interests will be protected once construction is completed. The HSE said the land at the St Vincent’s campus was being made available for the new hospital at no cost to the state and that “appropriate security arrangements” would be put in place to protect state interests.

I can't believe this could be true?
Quote:
Sources close to the National Maternity Hospital project said that they were incredulous that a religious order could stand to benefit from owning the hospital after the state paid for its construction.

I had given serious consideration to coming back to Ireland to work on this project....

Post subject: Re: Childrens Hospital Refused Planning
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm 

Confirmed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.3052079

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 pm 
Speculator

Why is it being handed over to a religious order? Why is this happening with zero discussion in the media or anywhere else? What is the logic of it? I literally cannot find an answer to this, its absolutely mind-boggling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thargor wrote:
Why is it being handed over to a religious order? Why is this happening with zero discussion in the media or anywhere else? What is the logic of it? I literally cannot find an answer to this, its absolutely mind-boggling.

Ownership is probably a strong word.

The religious order will retain the title for the land it is built upon.

After that it is not clear exactly how much control they will have, but not a huge amount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 pm 
Nationalised

They will have 4 seats on the board via SVHG as I understand it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It has been discussed in the media, and these governance issues delayed the planning application being submitted by over a year. It just not a very interesting topic for most people until a headline like this.

The Sisters of Charity are the ONLY shareholders of the St Vincents Hospital Group. Vincents is effectively a private hospital which sells a package of services to the state. (everyone just thinks it's a public hospital)

The deal to locate the National Maternity Hospital on the site of vincents is nothing more than the state gifting the sisters a massive asset. The Sisters are not charging the state for the land but they will then sell maternity services back to the state.

The sisters have a board to run the group, at least 2 nuns sit on the board, a sub-board will run the new "Holles St" half the board will be Vincents board members so yes there could be nuns on the board dictating the ethos, and what can and can't be done in the new hospital.

If the 8th is ever repealed, the "Holles St Nua" as the only 100% Nun owned maternity hospital in Ireland may, not offer the full range of services that are available in other women's hospitals due to board policy. We will just have to wait and see what the board supports.

The Minister of Health of the day holds a "golden share" so that the nuns can't turn it into a hotel, or something.

As far as I know all of the above is public domain stuff.

How did we get here? the Nuns held out, and the state blinked first.

As an aside, I have heard a rumour so take this with a pinch of salt, that the Nuns have made provision so that when the last nun dies the property will be vested to Rome. Least the state gets its grubby hands on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 am 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
The orders should have been torn asunder years ago. That they're actually growing influence is insane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The organization that ran the Magdalene Laundries is to be handed ownership of the new National Maternity Hospital. I have heard it said that it sounds like a Waterford Whispers piece. This is very depressing.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/block-si ... y-hospital

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am 
Nationalised

Well WWN do have a good headline:

Religious Order That Won’t Pay Abuse Victims Perfect To Run New Maternity Hospital

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 am 

Well, that scuppers any idea I had to work on this project. I work on large EHR projects and am currently abroad, and had seriously looked at this.

But I'm not going to work for the nuns.

I couldn't give a monkeys about "golden shares" and "reserved powers". Politicians get lobbied. Governments change. Policies change.

This is starting off on the wrong foot and I can't see the supposed ethos being preserved.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 am 
Nationalised

No different from Michael Woods, Fine Gael are just paying their indulgences with the taxpayers money. The fact that it will also cost lives, cause misery and suffering is incidental.

Last edited by Coles2 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 am 
Property Magnate

Is the justification for this that the State can't (or some decision makers' believe that it shouldn't) get it's shit together to put structures in place to run a hospital?

Is it some half arsed Hearniest cargo-cult homage to Thatcherism?

So let's give it to these medieval loons to run?

Statement from the Communications Clinic Department of Health here, which purports to deal with the governance issues but doesn't address the financial implications.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:59 am 
Nationalised

Worth remembering that there was a purpose-build building, free of encumbrances, right around the corner from SVUH that was earmarked for the new maternity hospital. But the govt killed it and it was sold as an office block.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am 
Property Magnate

There's a nice site just around the corner in Montrose as well. On the other side of that huge golf course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 am 

Mantissa wrote:

Except of course there's nothing satirical about that. That's exactly what's happening. They literally couldn't find a way to make the headline more outrageous (and sickening) than the reality.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next