Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm 
Nationalised

jess wrote:
I participated in dialogue elsewhere on the internet but with the shite I saw posted here I mostly just walked away.

I eventually came to the same conclusion, it just took me 100+ posts to get there :-D

That's one reason I want to do the analysis over time. I wonder how many people just gave up on the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

My motive for participating was to make clear that misogynistic views will not, and should not, go unchallenged. Did I expect to ever make them understand my viewpoint? No. However, there may well have been plenty of people reading, but not participating, and I felt it important that there not be a corner of the internet where women, and their rights, could be trashed without question. It was, of course, a futile thread in terms of the participants ability/willingness to actually engage at all, let alone constructively, but it may have had an impact on unknown readers. I hope, at least, that those with misogynistic tendencies (readers) took away an understanding that women will not entertain their views anymore. Expect push back.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 pm 
Real Estate Developer

imho that's 1 problem /w internet & internet discussions & info society we are living in 2018...

How do you know it's shite?...you have to read it 1st and engage to understand what's being said.
If you take 1 look at discussion and say no, not getting involved... you can't fairly criticize discussion.

Then if you go to where you find discussions you agree with... you're living in a filter bubble.

its a catch 22, time is valuable too.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

This is fantastic, thanks Mantissa.

I'm v surprised there were only 100 from Open Window :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm 
Nationalised

croquette wrote:
My motive for participating was to make clear that misogynistic views will not, and should not, go unchallenged. Did I expect to ever make them understand my viewpoint? No.

I don't recall seeing any misogynistic views on the thread. I did see some people who think it's misogynistic to say that killing babies is bad.

Did I expect them to understand my viewpoint? Sure I did. It's not difficult to take the time to understand another person's viewpoint. I certainly understood theirs -- the abortion debate really isn't that complex.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:

Indeed, well done to Mantissa Analytica for taking the time and effort to crunch the numbers. The y/n %'s were very interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_intelligence

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Thanks Mantissa, it was interesting to consider and I was surprised I even made that many posts. I looked back over it and probably contributed more at the start than at the end. I think from the reports of the Citizens Assembly onwards I felt the matters raised and discussed there covered all my voting concerns and probably felt little need to trash it out here.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It was nice to see that the pinsters i admire live in the same locality. I better be nice to the strangers I bump into when oot'n'aboot.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Thing Fish wrote:
It was nice to see that the pinsters i admire live in the same locality. I better be nice to the strangers I bump into when oot'n'aboot.

When was this revealed?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:38 pm 

I dropped out at some point and reappeared a couple of weeks before the vote. I dropped out because it was clearly going nowhere, took a breather and reappeared because I felt that a lot of what was being said was just wrong and that it shouldn’t be left unchallenged so soon before the vote.

Mantissa, thanks. Very interesting.

( @ps If you could quit trolling me now, that would be great. Thanks.)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:08 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

croquette wrote:
I dropped out at some point and reappeared a couple of weeks before the vote. I dropped out because it was clearly going nowhere, took a breather and reappeared because I felt that a lot of what was being said was just wrong and that it shouldn’t be left unchallenged so soon before the vote.

Mantissa, thanks. Very interesting.

( @ps If you could quit trolling me now, that would be great. Thanks.)

Big thanks to you for all your comprehensive contributions

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 pm 
Property Magnate

jess wrote:
I participated in dialogue elsewhere on the internet but with the shite I saw posted here I mostly just walked away.

indeed i should have bowed out i cant believe i posted that much, but some posters moved me from not really s caring that much but leaning to no, to definitely no.

but you are right, there was a lot of shite posted, unfortunately i took the bait :oops:

also not sure where the charge of misogyny comes from, maybe disagreeing with a female poster makes one a misogynist ?

Last edited by cyrusir on Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Got to say though JMC delivered. I always come away from those posts thinking I've just been in a Tom Clancy novel.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

purple24 wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:

When was this revealed?

it wasnt but we all leave hints :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 pm 

purple24 wrote:

I'm v surprised there were only 100 from Open Window :lol:

There was always a subtext to his postings that perhaps meant they weighed more heavily on the conversation than others. :nin
As for 10 people shouting in a room, that seemed to reflect the campaign at large. Around the same number of personalities come to mind from both sides, total.
Am surprised I made the top 10 TBH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next