Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Aug 19, 2011
Posts: 865
Quote:
Got to say though JMC delivered. I always come away from those posts thinking I've just been in a Tom Clancy novel.


Those @jmc & @ps200306 posts;

was like vidal vs. buckley :)

very interesting reading their different & contrasting perspectives.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5358
london_irish wrote:
As for 10 people shouting in a room, that seemed to reflect the campaign at large. Around the same number of personalities come to mind from both sides, total.

I like to think of myself as the Una Mullally of the thread, although that may be overselling my rhetorical and intellectual abilities. :D

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Feb 17, 2013
Posts: 870
Interesting data Mantissa, thanks for taking the time to collate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31830
Location: Tullamore
Eschatologist wrote:
london_irish wrote:
As for 10 people shouting in a room, that seemed to reflect the campaign at large. Around the same number of personalities come to mind from both sides, total.

I like to think of myself as the Una Mullally of the thread, although that may be overselling my rhetorical and intellectual abilities. :D

I've decided to model myself on the, erm, lady in the DID Electric ad...

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jun 14, 2012
Posts: 1031
yoganmahew wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
london_irish wrote:
As for 10 people shouting in a room, that seemed to reflect the campaign at large. Around the same number of personalities come to mind from both sides, total.

I like to think of myself as the Una Mullally of the thread, although that may be overselling my rhetorical and intellectual abilities. :D

I've decided to model myself on the, erm, lady in the DID Electric ad...


Ok, I’ll play. I modeled myself on Millie Tant from the Viz.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Oct 20, 2012
Posts: 1994
croquette wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
london_irish wrote:
As for 10 people shouting in a room, that seemed to reflect the campaign at large. Around the same number of personalities come to mind from both sides, total.

I like to think of myself as the Una Mullally of the thread, although that may be overselling my rhetorical and intellectual abilities. :D

I've decided to model myself on the, erm, lady in the DID Electric ad...


Ok, I’ll play. I modeled myself on Millie Tant from the Viz.


No doubt about that

_________________
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
Back Home with Mammy

Joined: Mar 1, 2017
Posts: 71
Mantissa wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
@Mantissa fascinating thread.

Data is everything, without it you are just another person with an opinion!

I’m just disappointed I didn’t make the top 10. Obviously I was going for quality over quantity :wink:


You were actually #11 :-)


Skidooosh!

cyrusir wrote:
also not sure where the charge of misogyny comes from, maybe disagreeing with a female poster makes one a misogynist ?


The charges of Misogyny come from my post on the 8th thread that caused much pant-shitting for Croquette et al and resulted in them appropriating the arguement in the mix of blind panic and existential dread that now envelopes them. 'Victory' is theirs and theyre welcome to it.
Watch this go mainstream! (but remember where and how it was actually presented)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:13 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 16, 2007
Posts: 2978
Location: Oighearland
Sosthenes wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
@Mantissa fascinating thread.

Data is everything, without it you are just another person with an opinion!

I’m just disappointed I didn’t make the top 10. Obviously I was going for quality over quantity :wink:


You were actually #11 :-)


Skidooosh!

cyrusir wrote:
also not sure where the charge of misogyny comes from, maybe disagreeing with a female poster makes one a misogynist ?


The charges of Misogyny come from my post on the 8th thread that caused much pant-shitting for Croquette et al and resulted in them appropriating the arguement in the mix of blind panic and existential dread that now envelopes them. 'Victory' is theirs and theyre welcome to it.
Watch this go mainstream! (but remember where and how it was actually presented)


I forgot to reply, but that poem was a gem. a lot of truth in it especially the observation of the same manias that irish people get caught up in

_________________
advice to future unemployed TDs at the next general election: dont look at it as a failure, see it as an opportunity to 'upskill'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:23 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 16, 2007
Posts: 2978
Location: Oighearland
HiFi wrote:
Fintan O'Toole's piece was an appalling, nasty, arrogant put-down of those who voted to keep the 8th Amendment....all dressed up as some kind of plea for appeasement. He pretends that his description of "them" is historical and then goes on to convince himself and everyone else that it isn't - that they haven't gone away you know.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fint ... -1.3511618

...There were middle-aged country men in shiny suits with Brylcreem-ed hair. There were women in elaborate frocks, some with rosary beads in their hands, some carrying pictures of embryos in lurid colours

We shouldn’t need there to be freaks in order to make the rest of us feel normal. The No voters must be allowed to be normal Irish too.

...There are diehards on the No side who will, like Japanese soldiers who were still being found in remote jungles in the 1970s, go on fighting the war. Let them.


Fintan needs to be more concerned about the disturbing reaction that the yes side were displaying in dublin castle on saturday. Trouble in paradise, that the leaders arent getting the kudos that they think should be coming to them. gobhoradiaorainn

_________________
advice to future unemployed TDs at the next general election: dont look at it as a failure, see it as an opportunity to 'upskill'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10809
jmc wrote:
...all that patronizing misogynist shite from the usual parties. As always they are men and as always it is directed towards women. And it is patently obvious they have never been personally been involved in any of these very difficult situations...

So you've been dissected and suctioned recently, have you? Doesn't get more difficult than that.

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Location: To the right of the decimal place
Here is a graph per calendar week of the number of unique posters who posted that week, and the posts/user that week. I have removed two large blocks of time where there were no posts (marked ~~~ on the x axis) to increase readability.

Image

Some observations:

* The number of posters increased as the referendum neared. I guess people dropped out and then came back at the end (like croquette said she did)
* There is a strong correlation (r=0.95) between the number of posters and the posts/user in a specific week. In other words, the more individuals that post, the more each person posts.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Aug 19, 2011
Posts: 865
@Mantissa
What tools did you use to extract, process and present this data? Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Location: To the right of the decimal place
snaps wrote:
@Mantissa
What tools did you use to extract, process and present this data? Thanks


I wrote a 63-line PERL script that iterates through the thread, pulling each page up to the date in question using LWP::Simple. It extracts the poster and date of each post using *shudder* regular expressions. It uses Date::Parse to interpret the dates and DateTime to get the week and year of the posts. It builds associative arrays as it goes through each page, and spits out some CSV at the end with the various totals. I then drop that into Excel to clean it up and draw the graphs.

I would like to analyse the post contents also, but the way in which PHPBB handles quotes makes that really difficult -- you need to look only at the non-quoted text in each post, which is nontrivial.

Obviously, this is a terrible way to do it. Relevant O'Reilly book:

Image

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Aug 19, 2011
Posts: 865
Good setup. I wonder would it be possible to extract the themes of the discussion with word/phrase frequency analysis?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The 8th Amendment thread -- who said what
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10809
I'd probably use a Java library like JSoup to parse the HTML, just because Java is my most familiar environment. But recently I've been doing a lot of stuff in Python which -- in spite of not being the prettiest -- seems to be a favourite among the scientific community. It benefits from a very broad array of numerical and scientifically-oriented libraries, and can do things like word frequency analysis very compactly.

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Doomed and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Click for Latest Posts LATEST POSTS Click for Forum List FORUMS   

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster

  

Pyramid Built, Is Better Built!