Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: A Post 8th Amendment world.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 pm 
Nationalised

Terra Incognita wrote:
Conflating these two issues is misleading at best and it deliberately seeks to link abortion with euthanasia which is wrong.

... in your opinion. If one chooses to view human life as a continuum from conception to death (i.e. the common-sense and scientific view), they are linked.

Post subject: Re: A Post 8th Amendment world - Culture of Death
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm 
Nationalised

Nice.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:10 am 
Nationalised

Ah yes. She of the compassionate vote.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

There's a word for that, starts with a 'B' and ends with something you scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:58 pm 
Nationalised

A historical snapshot for the record: According to Wikipedia, the second and highly controversial Lisbon Treaty referendum vote was pushed through by being packaged with assurances tailored for Ireland, guarantees no less, with one specifically relating to abortion and that was enough for the Irish voting public approved the treaty in 2009.

Quote:
Treaty of Lisbon

Only one member state, Ireland, obliged by their constitution, decided on ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 2008 (Ireland), 12 June 2008, 53.2% against, turnout 53.1%

In 2008, Irish voters rejected the Treaty of Lisbon.

Ireland — a referendum to approve the Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland, 2 October 2009, 67.1% in favour, turnout 59.0%

After the first vote by Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Council and the Irish Government released separate documents, referred to as the "Irish Guarantees", that stated the other member countries would not use the possibility in the Treaty to diminish the number of permanent commissioners in favour of a rotating system with fewer commissioners, and not threaten Ireland's military neutrality and rules on abortion.[1][2] With these assurances, the Irish approved the unchanged Lisbon Treaty in a second referendum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendu ... pean_Union

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:26 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

A decade is a long time in a goldfish bowl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:45 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
A historical snapshot for the record: According to Wikipedia, the second and highly controversial Lisbon Treaty referendum vote was pushed through by being packaged with assurances tailored for Ireland, guarantees no less, with one specifically relating to abortion and that was enough for the Irish voting public approved the treaty in 2009.

Wikipedia also lists a couple of opinion polls taken after the first referendum which asked why people voted 'no' in 2008. Abortion didn't even make the list of reasons in the first opinion poll and was down at 2% in the second, but even then not in its own right but lumped in with euthanasia and same sex marriage. So, while views on abortion may have had some significance in swinging a narrow defeat in 2008 to a narrow pass in 2009, those votes as a whole cannot really be viewed as a barometer of the country's views on abortion at that time. Military neutrality and loss of influence where much bigger issues according to the polls at the time.

Post subject: Re: A Post 8th Amendment world.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am 
Under CAB Investigation

ps200306 wrote:
... in your opinion. If one chooses to view human life as a continuum from conception to death (i.e. the common-sense and scientific view), they are linked.

Remind me again: does human life start at conception or implantation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17