Board index » The Soup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: Mar 7, 2012
Posts: 3366
Location: Lovely Leitrim
Eschatologist wrote:
Which suggests to me that current Pin voters have exceptional political views for their social/demographic class.


Every demographic has it's own crackpot fringe :lol:

_________________
If Monday was a browser it'd be IE.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31932
Location: Tullamore
Some of yis are forgetting the bloody nose nature of a quarter of the Irish electorate in all circumstances. Their second preference is often more revealing. We should probably have a second preference for refferenda along the lines of "if asked again at a later date, would you say yes instead?" and save ourselves the cost of multiple EU refferenda.

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:19 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Dec 2, 2013
Posts: 2765
temene wrote:
Colette Fizpatrick interviewing Gavin Reilly 17:30 on 27/10
Colette: Who exactly voted for him, Gavin? Was it rural older men?
Gavin: Across the board, but certainly rural older men had a lot of a part to play in it. Certainly, men were his predominate voters based on the exit poll demographic breakdowns that we have seen. But he was also getting support from people who are usually voters of individual political parties...


Well, women psychologically typically score higher on agreeableness they're not likely to be drawn to Casey's combative message

Isn't a rural older man precisely the part of the settled population that has had the most interactions with travellers. Ballygoforwards urban youngsters have usually had zero interactions with travellers.

Newsflash !!!! The Irish demographic who've interacted the most with travellers, don't like travellers ! What could this mean ! We really can't say. How backward !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: May 18, 2007
Posts: 6377
Location: On the Road
Collette's father was a Garda in County Tipperary.

I wonder which way he voted.

As noted above all this is straight out of the playbook from elsewhere, or indeed from Ireland over the past 40 years. If all else fails seek to associate a person or an argument that is deemed 'problematic' (I love that one) with a demographic that is perceived as being uncool. In this case its elderly males in rural Ireland. Elsewhere it would have been variously, white males, 'Gammons ' , Bernie Bros, deplorables etc etc. We had it on this site during the abortion referendum when a poster with a heightened Ballygoforwards demeanour suggested that only the uneducated or unintelligent could conceive of harboring an opposing position with regard to the proposal while discounting other posters presentation to her of articles containing up to date scientific research as it pertained to a related side issue. It's the intellectual equivalent of a genuine pub bore blaming the Chinese for the lack of ducks in the canal.

Essentially, what is being stated in the above Doolally article is that a professional lesbian from south county Dublin is possessed of a wisdom and a love of (and capacity for) reasoned thought and debate that anyone with a penis (editor's insert - potentially 'problematic' but go ahead), born pre 1970 and who lives beyond the Pale, is not. In acknowledging this it should not necessarily cause us (editors note - excellent use of the royal 'we' to include and reward readership through shared group association) to judge them too harshly. Their beliefs are simply a function of their environment and dare I say it, culture (editors note - potential follow up article re allocation of ethnic status to people from Donegal?? Have a think please). If only they could get their act together and be more like us (well done again) ie more tolerant, more diverse, more inclusive.....then we might actually accept them and afford their views a degree of validity. Fuck it, we might even go on holidays there.

_________________
"It is difficult to be certain about anything except what you have seen with your own eyes, and consciously or unconsciously everyone writes as a partisan.”
― George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Jul 24, 2018
Posts: 121
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
Collette's father was a Garda in County Tipperary.

I wonder which way he voted.

As noted above all this is straight out of the playbook from elsewhere, or indeed from Ireland over the past 40 years. If all else fails seek to associate a person or an argument that is deemed 'problematic' (I love that one) with a demographic that is perceived as being uncool. In this case its elderly males in rural Ireland. Elsewhere it would have been variously, white males, 'Gammons ' , Bernie Bros, deplorables etc etc. We had it on this site during the abortion referendum when a poster with a heightened Ballygoforwards demeanour suggested that only the uneducated or unintelligent could conceive of harboring an opposing position with regard to the proposal while discounting other posters presentation to her of articles containing up to date scientific research as it pertained to a related side issue. It's the intellectual equivalent of a genuine pub bore blaming the Chinese for the lack of ducks in the canal.

Essentially, what is being stated in the above Doolally article is that a professional lesbian from south county Dublin is possessed of a wisdom and a love of (and capacity for) reasoned thought and debate that anyone with a penis (editor's insert - potentially 'problematic' but go ahead), born pre 1970 and who lives beyond the Pale, is not. In acknowledging this it should not necessarily cause us (editors note - excellent use of the royal 'we' to include and reward readership through shared group association) to judge them too harshly. Their beliefs are simply a function of their environment and dare I say it, culture (editors note - potential follow up article re allocation of ethnic status to people from Donegal?? Have a think please). If only they could get their act together and be more like us (well done again) ie more tolerant, more diverse, more inclusive.....then we might actually accept them and afford their views a degree of validity. Fuck it, we might even go on holidays there.




Demographic that is deemed uncool subject to commentary/generalisation from demographic that is deemed uncool. So uncool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3646
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
Peter Casey was just on Newstalk.
Talked some sense, clearly wants to go into political office, highlighted most of his votes emerged from rural Ireland


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 6078
Location: SthDub
temene wrote:
Peter Casey was just on Newstalk.
Talked some sense, clearly wants to go into political office, highlighted most of his votes emerged from rural Ireland

And not impressed with the carry-on in Strokestown. If you enter a contract and put your house up as collateral, when you default then you lose your house


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 1, 1970
Posts: 23317
FreeFallin wrote:
temene wrote:
Peter Casey was just on Newstalk.
Talked some sense, clearly wants to go into political office, highlighted most of his votes emerged from rural Ireland

And not impressed with the carry-on in Strokestown. If you enter a contract and put your house up as collateral, when you default then you lose your house


On the point of Newstalk & Casey. Has Casey been signed up to a show on Newstalk recently? I thought I read something to that affect.

_________________
Follow The Pin - https://twitter.com/dailypinster

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Aug 19, 2011
Posts: 1021
@Open Window
According to thejournal.ie, he's working with them on something to be released in the new year.


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

    Board index » The Soup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com