Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Presidential Election 2018 Poll (you may change your vote)
Peter Casey 53%  53%  [ 31 ]
Gavin Duffy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Joan Freeman 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Seán Gallagher 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Michael D. Higgins 31%  31%  [ 18 ]
Liadh Ní Riada 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Spoil Vote 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election 2018 Poll
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Turnout forecast <50%
Handy that Casey is top of ballot paper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:41 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

catbear wrote:
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
In the grand Irish tradition, we will preumably continue to adopt trends from elsewhere long after they have ceased to be relevant. Currently, we appear to be in something resembling a 70s Liberalism (with a dash of New labour PR) mode at a time when such a world view is in retreat almost everywhere else. Of course, when such an approach was actually progressive in the real sense, we were on our knees praying, having adopted and retained a version of hardcore fundamentalist Christianity long after it had been abandoned eveyrwhere else.

Ironically Ireland I believe is the one country in Europe that's never had a centre Left government in the last century!

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 pm 
Old Time Landlord

Casey has a very international background, having been successful in Australia and the USA, he appears relatively mild. It will be very difficult to off load Higgins and Sabina, they never put a foot wrong and did some service to the Nation. Casey being first on the ballot paper will improve his chances that extra 5 per cent of undecided voters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
It really says a lot about the poverty of Irish public life when a guy who nobody ever heard of until last week is running second in line to be President on the back of a few not that controversial statements about entitlement and Travellers.....

Epic post. Set me up for the day :lol:

Indeed.

"It really says a lot about the poverty of Irish public life " At the reception in Dublin castle when Pope Francis visited Dublin 2 months ago, I looked at the attendees all drawn from the good and the mighty and saw all former taoisigh, presidents, ministers and (QUA)NGO hangers on, and thought that not one of them could hold their head up high and for whom I would vote for president, nevermind me campaigning for any of them to be president.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:51 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Just back from voting, fairly busy with end of work visits.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It's looking good for Casey! :lol:

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:16 pm 
Property Magnate

And so it begins. The alt-right are interfering to manipulate support for Casey, they "appear to have skewed the results of online polls, to place him as the leader or second favourite, despite the most recent opinion poll placing him on 2%"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:33 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I thought that it was illegal to comment on the election in such a way as to influence voters on polling day?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:38 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
I thought that it was illegal to comment on the election in such a way as to influence voters on polling day?

I think you're right. The Irish news sources seem to be just talking about voter turnout etc..

Being a UK publication they may have jumped the gun on this. The UK has very different rules, or actually no rules really as in the last election in the UK there were flyers for the parties in my actual voting booth!

I wonder if Casey could challenge for a rerun of the poll because of this?

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:41 pm 
Property Magnate

dolanbaker wrote:

I think it may only apply to broadcast media - i.e tv and radio.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:45 pm 
Too Big to Fail

catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

I think you're right. The Irish news sources seem to be just talking about voter turnout etc..

Being a UK publication they may have jumped the gun on this. The UK has very different rules, or actually no rules really as in the last election in the UK there were flyers for the parties in my actual voting booth!

I wonder if Casey could challenge for a rerun of the poll because of this?

It appears to me to be saying "if you don't want Casey in you better get out and vote as he may win it (but we won't admit that, instead we'll say the opinion polls are being rigged!).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:51 pm 
IMF'd

Barmiest Loon wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

I think it may only apply to broadcast media - i.e tv and radio.

And it only applies to Irish based media.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:00 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
It appears to me to be saying "if you don't want Casey in you better get out and vote as he may win it (but we won't admit that, instead we'll say the opinion polls are being rigged!).

I'm not convinced, the UK media, including even the Daily Mail now have been pumping the whole social media interference thing over here in blighty as Brexit starts to splutter out. They're lining up a scapegoat for their own anti-EU arrogance that goes way back before social media and they'll latch on any vote, including ours, to get out of the hole they dug themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Early feedback suggest our new president is Blasphemy! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barmiest Loon wrote:
And so it begins. The alt-right are interfering to manipulate support for Casey, they "appear to have skewed the results of online polls, to place him as the leader or second favourite, despite the most recent opinion poll placing him on 2%"

How nice of the media to think that Casey voters are larping for the alt-right. A poll commissioned by a newspaper isnt democracy, and that poll was taken just after the first debate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next