Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: France, popular revolt (Yellow Vests) What's going on?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am 
Too Big to Fail

Skippy 3 wrote:

It's just thuggery folks, yawn and move along.

Yip, the PSNI call the annual riots around the glorious 12th Recreational Violence.

Was chatting with a bobby in England who makes handy overtime every year supplementing the PSNI.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 pm 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:

It's just thuggery folks, yawn and move along.

Yip, the PSNI call the annual riots around the glorious 12th Recreational Violence.

Was chatting with a bobby in England who makes handy overtime every year supplementing the PSNI.

Quote:
New Link:

Previous LInk: https://youtu.be/wK8b4plAlJQ
Alt LInk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... K8b4plAlJQ

8 on 1 - relatively even handed. :|

Well done them , maybe they broke ranks...

Quote:
Police syndicate Vigi announces a strike for this Saturday. Refuses to attack the people. First indications that the #Police #CRS and the French army are now openly turning against #Macron.

https://twitter.com/XiuXes/status/1070387138846515200

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm 
Nationalised

17th Nov

18th Nov (Slurry special delivery)

24th Nov

26th Nov - A mix of clips

Dec 1 (dated Dec 2nd)

Dec 3rd

Dec 5th

https://youtu.be/3a-sg-FsoGw

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Never one to shirk responsibility for defending those in Government, Stephen Collins writes today in the IT in fulsome support of Macron

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/emma ... -1.3721289
Quote:
While politicians are routinely denounced and derided for their lack of vision the events in France over the past few weeks have demonstrated the hazards that lie in wait for leaders who take their courage in their hands and attempt to chart a new course for their societies.....

....The setback suffered by Macron is a salutary lesson for political leaders around Europe as they try to devise the best policies to deal with climate change and other major challenges such as immigration, where the public may not be in tune with what needs to be done....

....Closer to home when Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe unveiled his budget in the Dáil back in October he was widely criticised, including in this column, for his decision not to raise the price of diesel or do anything else of significance with regard to climate change.
Looking at how events have played out in France, the conclusion must be that Donohoe was politically wise to approach the issue cautiously and wait until the public is persuaded of the need for higher carbon taxes before setting off down that road....

....When Ireland was threatened with financial collapse back in the 2008-2010 period a range of severe measures which had a direct impact on the incomes of most people were taken.
There were no riots on the streets and, if anything, a general acceptance that pain had to be endured as the price of national survival. There was, though, a massive political price and the Fianna Fáil government which implemented the cutbacks was trounced in 2011. In politics there is often no reward for doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Braighni wrote:
jmc wrote:
This really has been a very slow motion disaster. Playing out for close to 20 years. The real tragedy is that the financial crisis happened at the beginning of Sarkozys term, not the end. With different timing Sarkozy would have been able to push through the needed reforms. He was given just enough space by the other side to try to pull off a Mendes France. Now too late. And Macron has zero of the political skills of a Sarkozy or even a DSK. The only other guy who could have succeeded politically in pushing through the necessary reforms.

In your opinion what are the necessary reforms?

Well ten years ago I would have said that the plan outlined in Sarkozys book "Ensemble ", if 70% plus of the proposed reforms were forced through, would put France on the right track. After 2008 even though both Sarkozy and the DSK wing of the PS made a valiant attempt to try to put together realistic plans all are doomed to fail due to the lost years due to the financial crisis and the straitjacket of the euro. Macrons "reforms" are just a rehash of the DSK/PS plans wrapped in EU-Speak so are doomed to fail. They solve nothing.

So just more drift and lost years until the Germans pull the plug on the current Euro.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/1 ... mdadH_z2bs

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Now this is getting very interesting..

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2018/12/05/01002-20181205ARTFIG00383-gilets-jaunes-macron-annule-la-hausse-des-taxes-et-corrige-philippe.php?redirect_premium

Quote:
Les services de renseignement auraient carrément signalé à l'Élysée des «appels à tuer et à se munir d'armes à feu pour s'en prendre à des parlementaires, au gouvernement, à l'exécutif et aux forces de l'ordre». Selon nos informations, un ministère important a même reçu consigne d'interdire à ses personnels et aux ministres concernés de se rendre sur leur lieu de travail ce week-end. «Ce sont des putschistes. On est dans une tentative putschiste», avance-t-on le plus sérieusement du monde au palais présidentiel.

The use of the word "putschistes" is very interesting. Very much a dog whistle phrase. As is the claim they will be "armed". The purported source of the leak, direct from the Elysee, is also very interesting.

Then there is the next paragraph..

Quote:
Une chose est sûre, l'«acte IV» du mouvement des «gilets jaunes» peut être un tournant si Paris s'embrase à nouveau. «S'il y a dix morts ce week-end, il n'est pas sûr qu'on puisse garder le ministre de l'Intérieur», glisse un proche du chef de l'État. La perspective d'un remaniement nettement plus large commence à circuler de façon insistante. Au point de changer de premier ministre? «Dans le meilleur des cas, il faudra un nouveau gouvernement avant les élections européennes. Dans le pire, avant Noël», lâche un macroniste du premier cercle.

They are talking about the political consequences of "dix morts ". Ten dead bodies. Very unusual.

My best guess, in the context of French politics, is that Macron has ordered a showdown this week end. A show of force. That the CRS heavy squad will have live rounds ready to use. And will use them if given the oppertunity. And given past performance by some of the state players dont be too surprised that if some of the casseurs who are shot while rioting weapons will be conveniently found close by. Thats how this game has always been played. Both sides know the rules.

All this makes the surprise resignation of the Interior Minister Gerard Collomb back in October far less of a surprise. He would have had access to unparalleled real time intelligence from the monthly reports from the 10,00 maries across France of what was going on at a local level. And given that he is reported to alluded to an atmosphere of near "civil war" in his resignation address he would have been getting very accurate reports of just how bad the situation was right across France. The media reports are that he tried to tell Macron how bad things were, Macron would not listen, so Collomb decided, fuck this, I've had enough, I am going back to being Mayor of Lyon. Which given what has happened over the last few weeks was an exceptionally astute move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm 
Nationalised

@jmc There has been a leaked photo circulating of the instruction for a full deployment of the police on or by the 8th. All holidays suspended. I’ll try dig it out but that seems to tie in with your observation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm 
Too Big to Fail

According to the BBC the French government are planning for a showdown.
Quote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46466268
Prime Minister Édouard Philippe said that "exceptional means" would be used on Saturday. He said 89,000 police officers would be on duty across France and armoured vehicles would be deployed in the capital - the first time since 1968.

Confirming that the fuel tax had been abandoned, he told senators that the calm of most protesters around the country contrasted with the "extreme violence" seen in Paris.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Meanwhile the eco leftie loones who refused to call off the demo for "Ecological Justice" planned for Paris on Saturday published this declaration today..

https://www.liberation.fr/debats/2018/12/06/justice-sociale-justice-climatique-c-est-un-changement-de-cap-qu-il-faut-imposer_1696384

Talk about tone deaf and clueless. Lay claim to "solidarity" with the gilet jaune but just the usual trite marxist ecobabble. Change some of the phrases, the bogey men, and the targets of abuse and its exactly the same document as would have been written by the same sort of people in 1978. About two thirds of the signatories are the unreconstructed Communists of the CGT and PCF, and assorted marxists of various hues. Mostly blood red. The rest are your typical european eco's. Overwhelmingly urban, middle class, disproportionately public sector, and very low information especially when it comes to science. Despite their pretensions to being well informed.

I hope the CRS have more than enough tear gas on hand to fire at these people if they turn out en-mass on Saturday. Richly deserved.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm 
Nationalised

Not sure it’s clear yet that both sides are not being played off against each other intentionally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
@jmc There has been a leaked photo circulating of the instruction for a full deployment of the police on it by the 8th. All holidays suspended. I’ll try dig it out but that seems to tie in with your observation.

There seems to be a battle royal going on at the moment over who controls what. The talk about declaring a state of emergency, again, I suspect was more to take away discretionary power from the presidential office, via Interior and the Prefet De Police, than the actual seriousness of the situation. Given the amount of bad blood between Macron and the military establishment Macrons people dont want the state of emergency declared even though the military, via the Gendarmerie, are better suited to deal with the current situation. Plus Macrons people have a track record of not listening to good advice from the various parts of the security apparatus. Hence the inept deployments of forces in central Paris that let last weekends riots get totally out of hand. The police on the ground were very vocal to reporters in letting it be known that it was the "superiors" i.e Place Beauvau that was responsible for placing them in the wrong locations. And refused to redeploy forces as the situation changed during the day. The body language of the police at the Arc when Macron did his photo op tells you all you need to know how little they like him. Apart from the running battles with the casseurs the police so far have been remarkable tolerant and friendly to the gilet jaune in the rest of France. Who are basically people just like themselves.

Which will make any attempted crackdown by Macron very interesting. Because unlike DeGaulle Macron has no substantive support among the military or the police. Nor I suspect in any of the state agencies who usually "make things happened" when need-be. As I said, it will be an interesting weekend. As Macron does not have the political "flexibility" of a Mitterand he wont adapt to the new political reality so he's probably a very lame duck president for the rest of his term.

So another zombie head of state. Just like in Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 am 
Real Estate Developer

They will get sick of the disruption ....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am 
Too Big to Fail

Interior Minister Castaner: "Everything suggests that radical elements will try to mobilize" Saturday
The Elysee fears major new excesses Saturday on the occasion of "act 4" of the mobilization of yellow vests. "Everywhere in France, the mobilization of the police is total. A large-scale device will be implemented throughout France tomorrow," Christophe Castaner also confirms that 89,000 members of the police will be mobilized in France, including 8,000 in Paris.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am 
Real Estate Developer

Paris riots: Children as young as 12 among 153 arrested at high school near French capital
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/c ... 11081.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next