Post subject: Leo Vardakar suggested using online shills, allegedly.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 pm 
Nationalised

Guess this is only hitting the news now because it's part of a book on Varadkar but this story has been out in the wilderness for some time in advance.

Quote:
Mr Varadkar is alleged to have floated the idea while he was contesting the Fine Gael leadership race.

The claim - included in a new biography of Mr Varadkar - has been described as "shocking stuff" by Fianna Fáil TD James Lawless.

Mr Lawless claimed that suggesting "fake accounts should be deliberately deployed for political advantage" could amount to "electoral fraud" and "fake news".

Last night, a spokesman for Mr Varadkar insisted "the alleged course of action wasn't taken and was never seriously considered".

A detailed account of the Fine Gael leadership contest is included in a new biography - 'Leo: A Very Modern Taoiseach' - by Irish Independent Deputy Political Editor Philip Ryan and Government adviser Niall O'Connor.

The book outlines how Mr Varadkar brought a team together to make his bid to succeed former Taoiseach Enda Kenny as Fine Gael leader. It describes how the campaign's social media strategy was devised.

The book says: "At one point, Varadkar floated the idea to one TD of creating anonymous accounts to make positive comments under online stories on popular news websites. It's unclear how far the proposal was pushed."

Last night, Mr Lawless accused Mr Varadkar of being "obsessed with spin". He claimed the allegation in the book shows why his proposed Online Advertising and Social Media Bill has stalled. Mr Lawless accused Mr Varadkar of offering "lame excuses" for refusing to support the bill.

Read More here - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 75799.html

Stripping out the politicing by Lawless, that's a nicely crafted side step = No explicit denial, as of yet, that Leo Varadkar actually made these comments.

Fascinating insight all the same. Thanks Mr Spokesman! :nin

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: Leo Vardakar suggested using online shills, allegedly.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 pm 
Neo Landlord

must pop Leo an email about how he could automate that :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
I've been made aware of a post on social media saying I had a free meal at a concert the other night. This is not true. There was no meal, we only had drinks and I paid. I have the receipt to prove it too.

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/stat ... 2657199106

Not sure what's going on with Mr. Varadkar of late....
Given that Mr. Varadkar is a good political operator (as Mr Farage described him), I wonder what's this comment really about?
Is it a case of, no such thing as bad publicity....
or perhaps there's something else that needs attention take away from?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:34 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

He's on the Late Late Show tomorrow night. Given the state of Housing, Health etc, I fully expect Tubs to go hard after him even to the point of trying to intimidate him.

I'm sure Varadkar will get 10 times the rough treatment that Peter Casey got.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

FreeFallin wrote:
He's on the Late Late Show tomorrow night. Given the state of Housing, Health etc, I fully expect Tubs to go hard after him even to the point of trying to intimidate him.

I'm sure Varadkar will get 10 times the rough treatment that Peter Casey got.

Please - Tubs the hardened journo. Miriam would be tougher........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 am 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
Quote:
Mr Varadkar is alleged to have floated the idea while he was contesting the Fine Gael leadership race.
The claim - included in a new biography of Mr Varadkar - has been described as "shocking stuff" by Fianna Fáil TD James Lawless.

Shocking indeed, but as the Fianna Fail years proved, allegations are one thing, but making them stand up is another

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:23 pm 
Nationalised

temene wrote:
some pictures

what's the point of this?

He doesn't have a family. He goes out with his friends instead.

Do you expect him to stay in his office all the time or why do you keep posting this? It's a tabloid level critique. Is "Anger at Leo" :roll: from Aodhan "White Knight" O'Riordain really news? That stupid bell end isn't one to be critiquing anyone's social media output

It's cringy to be sure but is it really some sort of scandal? most of it is posted by other people

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

"Anger as posters on a property discussion forum argue over Leo Varadkar's social media output while the country is in the grip of a housing crisis"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 pm 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
"Anger as posters on a property discussion forum argue over Leo Varadkar's social media output while the country is in the grip of a housing crisis"

Quote:
"Anger as posters and media focus on Leo Varadkar's social life while the country is in the grip of a housing crisis"

fixed that for you

What next, opposition politicians focusing on Leo Varadkar's sartorial choices??

oh, wait
Quote:
Brid Smith

Here's something to think about when you get your heating bill for the last week. Leo's jacket here. It's a Moncler. On their website and in Brown Thomas, a Moncler jacket will set you back €600 to €700. That's a lot of briquettes! One Winter for the rich, another for the poor.

Quote:
Cllr Sarah Holland@VoteHollandSF

The Taoiseachs €600 jacket has divided opinion today. Personally, I'm not a fan of conspicuous consumption and think the overpriced coat illustrates the divide between Leo's Ireland and the average earners' Ireland. Others think he should wear what he likes. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 am 
Under CAB Investigation

He makes 185k, works long hours and doesn't have kids. If he wants to treat himself to an expensive coat and go to half a dozen gigs a year - or a dozen, I dunno - who cares? If he goes to these things, he can get into the VIP lounge. It's probably nicer in there and he gets less grief from random drunks on his night off.

The fake social media accounts is separate. It's not a great instinct, it must be said. Funny that he actually had his own fake Facebook account - calling himself Eric Howell - so he could use it to stay in touch with his friends/family. (He handles that non-scandal better than his tetchy response to the non-scandal about him living it up at Kylie)

Anyway, the authors of that biography ran the book by Varadkar so it's weird that he didn't suggest rephrasing the line about fake social media accounts. Maybe, as others suggested, he was happy enough with the inevitable headlines that would follow?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

slasher wrote:
Do you expect him to stay in his office all the time or why do you keep posting this? It's a tabloid level critique. Is "Anger at Leo" :roll: from Aodhan "White Knight" O'Riordain really news? That stupid bell end isn't one to be critiquing anyone's social media output
It's cringy to be sure but is it really some sort of scandal? most of it is posted by other people

Same reason why French citizens post photos of Macron being 'aloof' and 'out of touch' with ordinary citizens. Remember, Varadkar is leading this country and ensuring citizens are suffering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 am 
Nationalised

The Taoiseach should be an unpaid volunteer. It's the logical conclusion of not being allowed to lead a country in which anyone earns less then you. He could live off nicked Dáil toner cartridges like the Shinners. Though I believe it's unwise to burn them as briquettes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:14 am 
Nationalised

temene wrote:
slasher wrote:

Same reason why French citizens post photos of Macron being 'aloof' and 'out of touch' with ordinary citizens. Remember, Varadkar is leading this country and ensuring citizens are suffering

"French citizens" - so you can't articulate exactly what his social life proves or affects anything but just use the actions of losers in other countries to justify reposting tabloid reportage of Aodhan O'Riordans ramblings.

It's Ad Hom shite. Nothing more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 am 
Nationalised

Ixelles wrote:
The fake social media accounts is separate. It's not a great instinct, it must be said.

Agreed
Quote:
Funny that he actually had his own fake Facebook account - calling himself Eric Howell - so he could use it to stay in touch with his friends/family.

Hardly a fake account as such?

A lot of people change their names slightly on the Interweb to maintain a degree of privacy. Par for the course for teachers I understand