Post subject: WIW Hendre St Georges Avenue Killiney Co Dublin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Both - on one acre, very large, very new and very modern.
Bing Maps (don't know how to past in photos) shows them in construction at same time (quite close).
One for auction and the other on privately - big gap in price.

Hendre on St Georges Avenue Killiney Co Dublin
€3,650,000 - 6 Bed Detached House 603.87 m² / 6500 ft² For Sale
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/2607350

Paddock Wood on Killiney Hill Road Killiney Co. Dublin
AMV: €2,000,000 - 6 Bed Detached House 780 m² / 8396 ft² For Sale By Auction
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/2634401

Last edited by observer35 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: WIW Hendre St Georges Avenue Killiney Co Dublin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Some discussion of Paddock Wood here: http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=60830

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Cloneevin which only just sold for 2.9m on the same road was also almost 6,500 sq ft on 1.3 acres
Cloneevin was also in very good condition internally and was also a beautiful period house
Should be more like 2.6m (1m @ 1 acre of land + 6500 sq ft @ 200 sq ft build + margin [tbc?])
The asking of 3.65m seems out of line ?
Just last week I believe 2 Shrewsbury Road sold for 4m while 1 Ailesbury Road for 3m

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This is a reciever sale so it will happen.
Highest bid is just over 2m (1m for the acre + 1m for cost of build).
Makes sense and fits in with other similar 'developer' homes like Paddock Wood (Killiney) and Harlech House (Goatstown).
Some of these homes are really well made but some are definately not and are already showing issues.
Get a good survey and be careful of very advanced features that will cause financial pain later on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I see price has been dropped from 3.65m to 2.85m this morning.
A large drop of over 20% (0.8m) but the right choice - the initial price was too high.
There are several others at this level on myhome which should do the same :x
I still believe the property will not sell at this new level - more like 2.4-2.5m in my view.
Even at that level, still need to find somone who will want the developers design and spec which takes time.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hendre-st-georges-avenue-killiney-co-dublin/2607350

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 pm 
Nationalised

Hendre now AMV 2.2m (down 1.45m, or 39.7%)
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=728413

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Probably a good move to go the auction route.

Especially as Paddock Wood ended up selling for €4m

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

+1

Interesting comparison with Paddock Wood:
1. Hendre land is 1.0 acre vs. 1.6 acre for Paddock Wood (63%)
2. Structure is 6,500 sq ft. vs. c 9,500 sq ft. for Paddock Wood when you include all structures (67%)
3. Hendre looks a cheaper build (170 sq ft. max) while Paddock Wood was ultra high end (+300 sq ft.) but with issues (100 sq ft. cost)

Paddock Wood structure was probably worth c. 200-250 sq ft. net of issues (c. 1.9-2.1m)
Paddock Wood land was priced at c. 1.0-1.2m an acre (most land in Killiney works out at less than 1m an acre).

On the same basis, Hendre should be worth 1.1m for the structure plus c. 1m for the land (views are not as good as PW).
Therefore 2.2m (the AMV) would be the Hendre equivalent of 4m (achieved) for Paddock Wood in my view.
If you believed that the two structures (net of PW issues) and land were equivalent, at c65% of PW, Hendre would be worth 2.5-2.6m

Will be interesting to see how this works out and whether the under-bidders turn out for Hendre ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Auction day for Hendre
If anybody is going, would be interested to hear outcome?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Just seen on the Ganley Walters website
November 20, 2013 • Auctions, Dublin Residential, sales Hendre, St. George’s Avenue, Killiney, Co. Dublin:
Sold at Auction, under the hammer by Robert Ganly, Wed 20th November at 3pm, 34 Percy Place, Dublin 4:
For €2.2million

http://www.ganlywalters.ie/blog/latest-auction-results-hendre-st-georges-avenue-killiney-co-dublin/
€338 sq ft for brand new house in Killiney on 1 acre

Will be interesting to see how long some other very asking prices in this part of the world are kept

Galeen - 40% of the house and 40% of the site for 10% more than Hendre
Abbeylands - 70% of the house and 50% of the site for 30% more than Hendre

there are more .....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:27 pm 
Property Magnate

observer35 wrote:
Sold at Auction, under the hammer by Robert Ganly, Wed 20th November at 3pm, 34 Percy Place, Dublin 4:

For €2.2million

http://www.ganlywalters.ie/blog/latest-auction-results-hendre-st-georges-avenue-killiney-co-dublin/

Well spotted. Thanks for the update observer35. Apologies for referring to you as an Estate Agent on another thread, I was surprised by your ability to get information on high-end deals.

This house wouldn't be to my taste, but the price achieved looks like reasonable value in the current market. Your estimate above (and AMV) were spot on, although I suspect the vendor might have expected AMV plus a few hundred thousand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:48 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

BillG wrote:
observer35 wrote:

For €2.2million

Well spotted. Thanks for the update observer35. Apologies for referring to you as an Estate Agent on another thread, I was surprised by your ability to get information on high-end deals.

This house wouldn't be to my taste, but the price achieved looks like reasonable value in the current market. Your estimate above (and AMV) were spot on, although I suspect the vendor might have expected AMV plus a few hundred thousand.

My pleasure BillG - I know so many EAs over the years that I may now come across as one (oh dear).
Favourite subject is higher end homes and while I used to buy and sell them, it is purely for interest now.
I agree re your view that the agent would have expected a few hundred thousand more (as would I).
I note if a high end home is not on (1) a great road or (2) is inspiring / beautiful, interest (and price) drops significantly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:29 am 
Speculator

BillG wrote:
observer35 wrote:

For €2.2million

Yes. Tipping my hat to Observer35. I thought your analysis made sense. Then the hammer price today verified it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 am 
Under CAB Investigation

10/12/2013 €2,200,000.00 HENDRE, ST GEORGES AVENUE, KILLINEY

Great lesson in property in Killiney.

1. Anything on and below Killiney Hill Road is prime. Above Killiney Hill Road towards Glenalua Road, Church Road etc., less so. Killiney Hill Road recovered well in 2013 / early 2014 (Paddock Wood, Dorset Lodge, Galleen, Dromeen etc.), the rest, no so much (i.e. Ballybrack House).
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=60830&p=831479&hilit=paddock+wood#p831479
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=61097&p=826273&hilit=galleen#p826273
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52354&p=831028&hilit=dromeen#p831028

2. Building an impressive new house - even with issues like Paddock Wood - is of value. Building a cheap badly laid out one - even if it is brand new - is value destroying. I would guess that this 1 acre site would have sold for c 1.4-1.6m at auction. i.e. not the pricing basis of Dromeen (1.8m an acre), but better than the Glenalua sites (c. 1-1.2m an acre). The act of building a brand new 6,500 sq ft. house on the site, certainly destroyed value in my view. Hendre's layout and design was awful. Its materials looked like they came from a non-descript office. Their two large and ridiculous light-wells on the main terrace said it all. This was built like cheaply done office, not a high-end residence off a very good road. The ultimate pricing reflected this.

Ultimately the new owners have bought this cheaply enough to fix some of Hendre's more fundamental design issues !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:11 pm 
Homeless

Noticed this is back on the market at 3.9m? Cant' see anything 'done' to warrant a 1.7m jump in less than 4 years? 77% increase?