Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Future

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1943 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tesla - Pimping Elon's Ride?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:18 am 
Real Estate Developer

the dude wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
In short, Tesla may have proved that you can accommodate vast amounts of renewables with only 2% of total capacity backed up by grid storage. That's great for renewables, perhaps not so great for Tesla. Especially if you also consider that lithium batteries are overkill for stationary applications, and less efficient (but cheaper and more scalable) flow batteries may take over. I still give Musk kudos for having the balls to go for South Australia.

You might be right, but keep in mind that parked cars are a form of stationary storage, I think its a bit early to predict where this all goes

But its slowly getting interesting

The concept of using parked cars as a storage system and using pricing as a mechanism to encourage the most efficient use of the available power was covered by Friedman in his book 'Hot flat and crowded' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot,_Flat,_and_Crowded.

The point about thinking of Tesla as a technology company is well made. If I was an investor I would be trying to encourage Musk down that road. The mass production of automobiles has become an obsession with Musk and he should have stayed well clear of it - his ego won't let him back off. If he stuck to the high end cars, the space business and licensing the technology his company seems to be very good at creating he would be on a winner - at the moment he is just burning money to create what will be a low margin business - ask any mass market car manufacturer. Nissan and Toyota are a country mile ahead of him in the EV mass market - he will never catch up. Even Chevy could stay ahead of him, VAG might get in and overtake as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Nationalised

metalmike wrote:
Nissan and Toyota are a country mile ahead of him in the EV mass market - he will never catch up. Even Chevy could stay ahead of him, VAG might get in and overtake as well.

He’s already ahead of all of them in the US :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

metalmike wrote:
The point about thinking of Tesla as a technology company is well made. If I was an investor I would be trying to encourage Musk down that road. The mass production of automobiles has become an obsession with Musk and he should have stayed well clear of it - his ego won't let him back off. If he stuck to the high end cars, the space business and licensing the technology his company seems to be very good at creating he would be on a winner - at the moment he is just burning money to create what will be a low margin business - ask any mass market car manufacturer.

When Tesla started nobody wanted to build EVs, that was Musks reason for getting involved

metalmike wrote:
Nissan and Toyota are a country mile ahead of him in the EV mass market - he will never catch up. Even Chevy could stay ahead of him, VAG might get in and overtake as well.

Nissan are doing well, Toyota are way behind, still building the Mirai by hand one at a time

Last edited by the dude on Sun May 13, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I've been driving a petrol electric hybrid this week and it's interesting. Sounds like a tube train coming to a halt. Now I want an electric car.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am 
IMF'd

Eschatologist wrote:
I've been driving a petrol electric hybrid this week and it's interesting. Sounds like a tube train coming to a halt. Now I want an electric car.

I want one too, but I want a 4WD estate. Range is not really an issue for me (for that car).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:50 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:

I want one too, but I want a 4WD estate. Range is not really an issue for me (for that car).

I would imagine that it would be much easier to produce an electric SUV type of vehicle as there will be loads of "dead space" for batteries between the floor and the ground.

The only issue would be waterproofing in the unlikely event that someone actually uses it off road and goes through a ford.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:17 pm 
Real Estate Developer

@dolanbaker
The Tesla battery seems quite well sealed.

I had a look at that Tesla youtube channel from which you linked a video. There's a video of a fresh water submerged Tesla being salvaged. Battery cells were intact.

The big thing that Tesla excelled over the competition was the battery. They were 1st to use laptop cells. Their packs seem very well made.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
Too Big to Fail

snaps wrote:
@dolanbaker
The Tesla battery seems quite well sealed.

I had a look at that Tesla youtube channel from which you linked a video. There's a video of a fresh water submerged Tesla being salvaged. Battery cells were intact.

The big thing that Tesla excelled over the competition was the battery. They were 1st to use laptop cells. Their packs seem very well made.

I've seen those videos but they still are not completely waterproof, the electronics were destroyed, that's why I made the comment.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:08 pm 
Real Estate Developer

That car was submerged for a prolonged period of time and it held up quite well.
I'd guess if they were going to build an SUV type EV they would up the specs even more.

Electric boats are now a thing so electric SUV should be doable.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

With the correct levels of waterproofing, there won't be any issues at all.
Being submerged in a flood is extreme in the least and usually results in a car being written off, regardless of fuel type.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm 
Real Estate Developer

@dolanbaker
I enjoyed looking through that guys yt channel. It's a good sign for a car if a community of enthusiasts develops that are into dissembling/modding etc...
I've heard the Tesla's rolled off the production line so far have various quirks (in a good way) that give the car more of personality/character Vs. cars from the big car manufacturers.
The early Tesla's will probably become classic cars over time.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

snaps wrote:
@dolanbaker
I enjoyed looking through that guys yt channel. It's a good sign for a car if a community of enthusiasts develops that are into dissembling/modding etc...
I've heard the Tesla's rolled off the production line so far have various quirks (in a good way) that give the car more of personality/character Vs. cars from the big car manufacturers.
The early Tesla's will probably become classic cars over time.

Yes, it's good to see how they succeed in "salvaging" cars from the likes of the Texas floods, but I do dispair at the way Tesla are trying to prevent them from using the cars as they're intended, despite the build being every bit as good as what is leaving the factory. Qurky probably summs them up well.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 am 
Under CAB Investigation

snaps wrote:
Electric boats are now a thing so electric SUV should be doable

A lot of interesting things are happening now

Even some of the DIY amateurs are building great conversions

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

you would imagine the hike in oil prices will be good for tesla and other manufactures who have embraced EVs

In other news Soros appears to be 'investing' in Tesla

https://www.investopedia.com/news/what- ... as-future/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1943 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 130  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Future