Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tesla - Pimping Elon's Ride?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 am 
Under CAB Investigation

quackquack wrote:
I like tesla, but not sure i'd want one due to the fact that everyone who crashes on becomes an international celebrity, and the company's default position is to blame the driver no matter what the facts are.

unfortunately drivers crash all the time, but the problem is very few people are willing to admit they were the ones at fault, so they blame the car, most of the crashes have turned out to be driver error, if they told the truth from the start there would be no story

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:26 am 
Under CAB Investigation

quackquack wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
HouseBuyer wrote:

"Tesla issued an over-the-air software update to improve the Model 3's brakes". Huh??? That scared the crap out of me. When I see how many times Microsoft has nobbled my laptop with over-the-air updates, I sure as hell don't want anyone tinkering with my brakes. What's next? Out of date software drivers for the local recharger? Inconvenient reboots while cruising on the motorway? Ransomware demands as your steering locks up? :nin

I think you are willfully missing out on the significance of this.

Consumer Reports (a respected constructive reviewer) identified a deficiency with the M3 braking that was different from Tesla's own numbers. Musk personally called them to identify how they were testing the breaking distance as it didn't tally with Tesla's data. They identified a solution and within 2 weeks an over the air software update improved the responsiveness of the M3's breaks such that it shaved 19 feet off the breaking distance in every car over the entire fleet.

(they only do the software updates when the car is parked overnight)

Literally, no other car manufacturer can do that.

Quite simply if Tesla keeps up this pace of innovation (and doesn't go bust) the simple function of Time will make all other manufactures obsolete.

Russia who laughed at Musk and his rocket plans recently announced that it is getting out of the commercial satellite business as it just can't compete with SpaceX. It was SpaceX's pace of innovation that wiped them out. Musk is trying to do something similar with Tesla. While I don't think every car will be Tesla in the future (there are 100 million vehicles added to the world fleet per year, Tesla will do well to make over 0.1 million vehicles this year) I do think they will capture more and more of that market share as they out innovate and eventually become better manufactures. The same way Amazon out innovated so many older traditional business.

So if you think improving a cars breaking distance or acceleration with an over the air update is a gimik then I think (i'm betting) you are going to be on the wrong side of history.

You would think with all that software at their fingertips, they could have identified that the brakes sucked in the first place.
It's not exactly rocket science to do a few emergency stops.

I'm not too sure that I'd want a software update from a company who only days before was saying there was no issue. Either the company is full of sh1t and there was lots of testing done on the update on a known braking issue they kept to themselves, or they slapped a bit of code together and deployed with minimal testing - Not exactly confidence inspiring on a braking system...

I like tesla, but not sure i'd want one due to the fact that everyone who crashes on becomes an international celebrity, and the company's default position is to blame the driver no matter what the facts are.

The real problem is they did the tests and still sent out something substandard. i dont think they should be lauded for being economical wtih the truth and then fixing the problem when they are caught.
The security issue with over the air updates etc is one they and other manufacturers will have to seriously address. If you compare it to your phone/computer, i always leave it a few days before updating as theyre frequently issues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 pm 
Speculator

Eschatologist wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
Musk personally called them to identify how they were testing the breaking distance as it didn't tally with Tesla's data. They identified a solution and within 2 weeks an over the air software update improved the responsiveness of the M3's breaks such that it shaved 19 feet off the breaking distance in every car over the entire fleet.

(they only do the software updates when the car is parked overnight)

Literally, no other car manufacturer can do that.

Do you not see the risk that a hacker can send an OTA update to disimprove the brakes?

What's to stop that from happening? Private keys?

The blockchain of course, duh :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 am 
Nationalised

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4zjy9.html

Quote:
shares surged Wednesday after Musk, Tesla's chief executive officer, said the company was "quite likely" to build 5,000 of the sedans a week by the end of this month. Musk reaffirmed his forecasts for second-half profit and cash generation based on that target, and said he still sees no need to raise more capital.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

More range than a tesla or any other EV

Quote:
New Dutch-built electric scooter claims 400 km range with modular batteries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:06 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

That would be impressive. Do you have a link for that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Terra Incognita wrote:
That would be impressive. Do you have a link for that?

https://boltmobility.com/appscooter

Prepare to be triggered. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Nationalised

werpen wrote:
More range than a tesla or any other EV
Quote:
New Dutch-built electric scooter claims 400 km range with modular batteries

Eschatologist wrote:
https://boltmobility.com/appscooter

Prepare to be triggered. :D

Very neat. Solves one problem instantly -- the battery pack pulls out for recharging so apartment dwellers don't need a 600 foot long cord. Its also configurable/upgradeable for different ranges, and has a choice of engine power. Could see this being very popular. Only thing is ... don't scooters already get about 120 mpg, so the cost justification from fuel savings is weak?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Just ripping off Gogoro.

https://www.gogoro.com/tw/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
Could see this being very popular. Only thing is ... don't scooters already get about 120 mpg, so the cost justification from fuel savings is weak?

It's more to do with cleaning up city air, most scooters have really smelly two stroke engines. Some cities will ban the petrol ones soon to improve the air quality.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 am 
Private Tenant

After doing some research I am convinced this company is heading for trouble. What is the best way to open a modest short position with a +30% protective stop? I have an account on Degiro but it does not allow shorting of US stocks and there is no Tesla CFD.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
I am convinced
What's your reasoning?

Short sellers betting against Tesla lose more than $1 billion in single day as stock pops
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/06/shorts- ... llion.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The problem with shorting is that you have the same information as those who are holding, which means you think they're idiots, and so you're not betting against the company, or even the idiots, you're betting against the supply of idiots.

And unlike bitcoin or Model 3s, the supply of idiots is almost unbounded.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

blades96 wrote:
After doing some research I am convinced this company is heading for trouble. What is the best way to open a modest short position with a +30% protective stop? I have an account on Degiro but it does not allow shorting of US stocks and there is no Tesla CFD.

You might be right, I think the shares are over valued, but your biggest problem is timing it right

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:56 pm 
Private Tenant

OH NO, IT’S ME, A GUY YOU JUST MET, AND I’M ALREADY TALKING ABOUT ELON MUSK

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/oh-no-its-me-a-guy-you-just-met-and-im-already-talking-about-elon-musk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 135  Next