Post subject: Electric Cars and the latest models.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:

different cohorts/types of people at each protest? Or people not following the logic that tackling climate change means less fossil fuel use. The reality is that people are already here and must be able to afford to live and they do not like being pushed into poverty or even having their standard of living decreased much. They cant all afford teslas

I reckon the next couple of years are game changing on the global electric car market with cost plunging as demand increases. I really like the look of the Honda EV which was the star of the Frankfurt car show and is tipped to be make as big an impact on the car market as the VW Golf which ushered in the hot hatch trend.
Due out in 2019.

And how the power is generated to charge them is changing too..
Quote:
A new report reveals 42% of global coal capacity is currently unprofitable, and the United States could save $78 billion by closing coal-fired power plants in line with the Paris Climate Accord’s climate goals. This industry-disrupting trend comes down to dollars and cents, as the cost of renewable energy dips below fossil fuel generation.

Across the U.S., renewable energy is beating coal on cost: The price to build new wind and solar has fallen below the cost of running existing coal-fired power plants in Red and Blue states. For example, Colorado’s Xcel will retire 660 megawatts (MW) of coal capacity ahead of schedule in favor of renewable sources and battery storage, and reduce costs in the process. Midwestern utility MidAmerican will be the first utility to reach 100% renewable energy by 2020 without increasing customer rates, and Indiana’s NIPSCO will replace 1.8 gigawatts (GW) of coal with wind and solar.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinno ... 7796231f31

But I really really like the look of the Honda's EV coupe

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post subject: Re: France, popular revolt (Yellow Vests) What's going on?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The new KIA e-Niro EV is up there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5sDwF5aBM

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 am 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:

Nice. I'd be a total convert for long distance if it can get up to 600klm between charges.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 am 
Nationalised

People are going to get upset when everyone goes electric and taxes are levied on them.
Dont take this as an argument against electric cars or renewables, just pointing out the huge gap in funding that will need to be filled somehow and how people wont join the dots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 am 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

Nice. I'd be a total convert for long distance if it can get up to 600klm between charges.

2020 Tesla Roadster rumoured to have 1,000km range.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm 
Too Big to Fail

mr_anderson wrote:
catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

2020 Tesla Roadster rumoured to have 1,000km range.

That sounds fantastic although as others have said the lost revenue on petrol will have to clawed back somehow. Tax breaks for EV will go for a start as they become more common.

Sorry for going off topic but if fuel price was the spark then the rise of the EV market will seem like a fortuitous response that will keep environmental protestors happy too.

I got to say I was really taken by surprise by the commitment of the environmental protesters in London a few weeks ago when they blocked all the central bridges. It's a movement that seems to have entered a new phase generally unnoticed.

I guess if young people feel the economy is stacked against them then they'll pour their energy into fighting for their environment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm 
Nationalised

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
People are going to get upset when everyone goes electric and taxes are levied on them.
Dont take this as an argument against electric cars or renewables, just pointing out the huge gap in funding that will need to be filled somehow and how people wont join the dots.

You get a new shiny cage but not freed from the cage. Gawd no! Are you mad Ted! What you're talking about here is the smart metre, part of the total control grid, apply (any) tax at point, every device on your homes power network will be monitored and know 24/7. I'm sure GDPR will be exempted. :nin :x :nin :x

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm 
Too Big to Fail

catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

For me, a 300km range would suit almost 100% of my normal driving, only once in the past 3 years have I exceeded 300km in a single journey.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars and the latest models.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It gets better, retrofitting classics as EVs!
https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/classi ... -classics/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

dolanbaker wrote:
For me, a 300km range would suit almost 100% of my normal driving, only once in the past 3 years have I exceeded 300km in a single journey.

Yeah, careful with those range figures though. As I posted in the Tesla thread....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 am 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

Yeah, careful with those range figures though. As I posted in the Tesla thread....

To be honest, I'm very forgiving of those claims.
20 years ago you couldn't get 10 miles out of such an electric car.
Now you can basically travel anywhere in Ireland on a single charge.
In another 10 or 20 years, you'll be able to travel throughout Europe on a single charge.
The development has been incredibly rapid and continues to evolve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Sure, they're great. You just need to factor in that they only get something like 75% of the WLTP range at motorway speeds.

The Opel Ampera is the daddy for long range (380km WLTP) at affordable price, but unfortunately LHD only.

https://www.thejournal.ie/autobest-ev-t ... 6-Jul2018/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 am 
Under CAB Investigation

mr_anderson wrote:

You would be brave to rely on a Model S to get you from Dublin to the SW or NW coast on a single charge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Back Home with Mammy

mr_anderson wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

To be honest, I'm very forgiving of those claims.
20 years ago you couldn't get 10 miles out of such an electric car.
In another 10 or 20 years, you'll be able to travel throughout Europe on a single charge.
The development has been incredibly rapid and continues to evolve.

As a general rule you should charge your EV beyond 80% or your wrecking the battery. Occasionally charging to full might be fine

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars and the latest models.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm 
Real Estate Developer

That's wrong.
Best practice is 10 to 90% charge range
Some people say 20 to 80%

Avoid keeping the battery charged at 100%
If the car is to be left unused for a long time you should keep it plugged in with the charge at 50%

Avoid depleting the battery completely

Judicious use of fast charging
Fast charging can lead to battery ooverheating
Heat is a battery killer