Post subject: More Snow... soon?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:06 pm 
Nationalised

I'm hearing murmurs of forecasts indicating we could be in for some more heavy snow sooner rather than later, being mindful of Calgary getting lashed out of it with 40cm or more (yes I know it's Canada but they seem to have gotten caught out badly).

If anyone has some good links as to veracity of such murmurs or predictions please post. Thanks.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: More Snow... soon?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

98FM have this badly written article

98FM wrote:
..........Although this week has seen a fluctuation in temperatures, with yesterday reaching 20C in some places, colder temperatures are expected to settle in very quickly.

UK experts have warned Ireland and the UK could be gripped by a 4 month freeze towards the end of the year with extreme ice storms, similar to the big cold snap of 2010.

That year marked the coldest December since 2010, when records began.

Forecaster James Madden said: “We are expecting a number of widespread snow events to occur during early December and then again around mid-month..............

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:14 pm 
Property Magnate

Open Window wrote:
I'm hearing murmurs of forecasts indicating we could be in for some more heavy snow sooner rather than later, being mindful of Calgary getting lashed out of it with 40cm or more (yes I know it's Canada but they seem to have gotten caught out badly).

If anyone has some good links as to veracity of such murmurs or predictions please post. Thanks.

Do you distrust mainstream meteorology services too? :wink:

Quote:
Forecaster James Madden said:

https://www.skeptical-science.com/people/weird-weather-forecasts-daily-express/

Quote:
Almost every Spring and Autumn for the past couple of years the UK’s Daily Express has run stories such as the above claiming that the season ahead is about to hit extremes. Instead of seeking guidance from a real meteorologist, their source is weather eccentric James Madden, forecaster for his one-man company Exacta Weather.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm 
Nationalised

You beat me to it. Yer man is not a "forecaster", he's a quack whose fairytale prognostications are based on a mixture of sunspots and bolloxology. Why does anybody listen to this shite? You can easily find a one paragraph explanation of why chaos in weather systems prevents reliable weather forecasting more than a few days in advance, even using the most sophisticated computerised weather models. But apparently people want to believe that an unqualified diviner, who is demonstrably wrong almost all the time, can read sunspots like a carnival fortune teller reads tea leaves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 pm 
Nationalised

Evil_g wrote:
Open Window wrote:

Do you distrust mainstream meteorology services too? :wink:

You Bias-ist! :D

Murmurs = inter-familia small talk "they say ..." and I don't forget the bookend snow event of 2010 nor the recent epic event and would like to be prepared in case.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 pm 
Nationalised

Evil_g wrote:
James Madden said

Scammer and charlatan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:20 am 
Nationalised

It seems to be an old tradition. 180 years ago this year, a Cork man living in London published his Weather Almanack on Scientific Principles, Showing the State of the Weather for Every Day of the Year. By sheer luck he predicted "the lowest degree in winter temperature" for Jan 20th, 1838. The temperature fell to twenty below zero, people cooked barbecues on the frozen Thames, and Patrick Murphy became an overnight sensation, getting rich from sales of his book. His luck didn't hold, though, and by the end of the year there were snide jokes about him in the press. Murphy himself blew all his cash betting on movements in grain prices.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=QOtFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT62

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 pm 
Property Magnate

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... 2057917719

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:21 pm 
Nationalised

mortgageboy wrote:
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057917719

I don't see any snow in there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
mortgageboy wrote:

It just looks like a run of the mill autumn storm, lots of wind and some rain.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 am 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
mortgageboy wrote:

It just looks like a run of the mill autumn storm, lots of wind and some rain.

Yup, northern polar night setting in → higher temperature gradient between the tropics and the pole → more energetic jet stream → more turbulent weather in the north Atlantic → autumn gales.

We should be relieved. Some of the freakish weather earlier in the year was attributable to Arctic warming and an unusually low temperature gradient, which gave a weak jet stream and left persistent weather patterns parked over us.