Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Worst cliches in interior design?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:43 pm 
Single Home Owner

Ooohh don't get me started on wedding gifts of Waterford Crystal. And Newbridge silverware. Such a waste of money. Yes im ungrateful, but pretty sure a lot of them are re-gifts. One box i got looked like it had been through 4 or 5 couples by the time it got to us.
Took a while to flog it online!
Seriously though, most of these type of gifts didn't seem very thoughtful, more convenient for unimaginative people.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 pm 
Speculator

fuse wrote:
Ooohh don't get me started on wedding gifts of Waterford Crystal. And Newbridge silverware. Such a waste of money. Yes im ungrateful, but pretty sure a lot of them are re-gifts. One box i got looked like it had been through 4 or 5 couples by the time it got to us.
Seriously though, most of these type of gifts didn't seem very thoughtful, more convenient for unimaginative people.

Wine glasses - never used or unboxed.
Cutlery - the same.
I regret not flogging them immediately!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:57 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I think the fact I never got round to doing the wedding thing probably has something to do with it - the number of gifts we've got over the years is probably exponentially smaller than most couples, so easier to display without feeling nauseous at the sight of 10 Waterford Crystal Bowls!

Any time I've got presents smart glasses or cutlery, I've put them in the cupboard and used them along with the day to day stuff. They eventually break or go missing, but I prefer that than having them sitting in the attic unused.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 am 
Property Magnate

Centre of coffee table adorned with:
Waterford Crystal bowl you got as a gift = fine
Waterford Crystal bowl you bought for yourself = questionable (depends on which line)
Burnished copper-coloured 'is it glass/ is it plastic' platter you got in Woodies = tsk, tsk, tsk

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am 
Single Home Owner

fuse wrote:

I'm afraid I have no sentimentality at all when it comes to that stuff, if it doesn't fit in, it goes out the door.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The decline of Waterford Crystal is evident here.

I'm a wine lover, and I have lots of Riedel vinum glasses, which are crystal, but uncut crystal. They're thin, and shaped differently depending on the wine, to allow the drinker to appreciate the particular characteristics of the wine. They have a fairly modern, but classic aesthetic. I love them. They really are just vessels for the wine, and really add to the enjoyment of the same.

The old school Waterford cut crystal glass are just too fancy, fussy and heavy to allow enjoyment of wine. I gave some to my mother in law, who was delighted to get them, but promptly put them at the back of a cupboard where I suspect they will always stay. Newbridge cutlery I don't mind so much, although I prefer the stainless steel ones (which I actually use) over the silver plated kings pattern (again, more fussiness).

We got plenty of both for our wedding. Wine glasses aren't necessarily a bad present, but I already had loads, and can't figure out why someone thought I needed more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:03 pm 
Nationalised

anyone else think that Newbridge silver is rubbish quality and naff design? or maybe it's the marketing that's off-putting?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

slasher wrote:
anyone else think that Newbridge silver is rubbish quality and naff design? or maybe it's the marketing that's off-putting?

I don't have anything to compare it with, so I've no idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm 
Single Home Owner

slasher wrote:

I wonder does anybody actually choose to buy Newbridge Silver for themselves? Or is it just a handy gift option for the unimaginative type?
I brought back a duplicate cutlery set we received and they were good enough to offer credit note.... really struggled to find something to pick up instead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 pm 
Property Magnate

Got strange looking enormous goblet-type Wateford "wine glasses" as a housewarming gift recently, and the other half has identified them as being useful for pouring generous G&Ts.
Every cloud...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 pm 
Nationalised

mambo wrote:
What are the worst / most common cliches in interior design?

My nomination: Pictures of Audrey Hepburn

Here she is again :-)

From http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... -3/3319489

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:37 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mr Deeds wrote:

Toilet-bowl mats. :sick:

AKA toilet bibs.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Nationalised

mambo wrote:
What are the worst / most common cliches in interior design?

My nomination: Pictures of Audrey Hepburn

Here are two examples from houses currently for sale in Dublin. I'm sure I've seen plenty others.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sa ... in-1119921

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sa ... in-1101016

And yet another Audrey Hepburn in this modernist house in Cork
http://www.thejournal.ie/cork-home-carr ... 1-Apr2018/

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9