Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 289  Next
 Post subject: Re: Britain leaving the European Union.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
catbear wrote:
Saibhreas wrote:
There is no majority in Parliament for a hard brexit and that will not happen. The UK is screwed, and they know it.

I wonder what the reaction on the streets will be when the average punter realises that too.

Will the sense of powerlessness only fuel the likes of For Britain etc...?

All my English friends appear to harbour deep dislike and distrust for the establishment.

However they will only utter what are non PC view points in private. This is unhealthy and will ultimately provoke a reaction.

If Brexit is shot down or substantially diluted , (throw in England winning the World Cup (God forbid!)), I could see such views coming out into the open.

20,000 people marched in London recently in support of Tommy Robinson. It was barely reported on in any mainstream media outlet.

Abandonment/substantial dilution of Brexit would surely spark serious anger across the UK

What are they going to do about it, whinge? Vote out the tories?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm 
Nationalised

werpen wrote:

Farage is threatening to come out of retirement...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

slasher wrote:
werpen wrote:

Farage is threatening to come out of retirement...

Isnt he an MEP, :-GC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am 
Too Big to Fail

Rumours abound that the EU is considering rejecting May's plan. I cannot see how a hard Breixt is not inevitable.

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm 
Nationalised

Boris Johnson in his resignation letter wrote:
“If a country cannot pass a law to save the lives of female cyclists — when that proposal is supported at every level of UK Government — then I don’t see how that country can truly be called independent.”

imagine that the EU would block the UK from saving female (female!!) cyclists!!!

Quote:
What have female cyclists got to do with Brexit?
Mr Johnson is known for his sometimes-tangential anecdotes — as anyone who remembers his speech at the 2008 Olympics, in which he claimed the British invented table tennis under the name “whiff whaff”, will tell you.

But we were still a little surprised to discover that this parting missive on the issue of Brexit — which he was apparently still writing when Number 10 confirmed his departure — spends a lot of time on vehicle regulation.

The former Foreign Secretary wrote: “we seem to have gone backwards since the last Chequers meeting in February, when I described my frustrations, as Mayor of London, in trying to protect cyclists from juggernauts.

“We had wanted to lower the cabin windows to improve visibility; and even though such designs were already on the market, and even though there had been a horrific spate of deaths, mainly of female cyclists, we were told we had to wait for the EU to legislate on the matter.”

His concluding thought on the issue: “If a country cannot pass a law to save the lives of female cyclists — when that proposal is supported at every level of UK Government — then I don’t see how that country can truly be called independent.”

“Supported at every level of UK Government”?
That’s quite a compelling account of how the EU has stifled common sense policy-making by a national government. The problem is, Mr Johnson is wrong.

It’s true that when he was Mayor of London, Mr Johnson campaigned to introduce tougher rules on lorry safety to protect cyclists.

But he’s left out some key details.

For one thing, he neglects to mention that the regulations he’s talking about were in fact put forward by the European Parliament, and backed by 570 MEPs, with 88 voting against. He also fails to acknowledge that those laws have actually been passed.

More crucially, Mr Johnson is wrong to say that the laws in question were “supported at every level of UK Government.”

When the regulations were put forward by the EU, the UK government explicitly did not support the proposals.

A government spokesperson told BBC News in 2014: “Where we are not supporting European Parliament proposals, it is simply because they will not produce practical changes in cab design and could lead to additional bureaucracy for Britain.”

The European Council, which includes representation from the UK government, later adopted the directive.

Mr Johnson should know he is wrong
It’s curious that Mr Johnson has chosen this particular example to demonstrate what he sees as the problems with EU regulation.

Not only did he know that the European Parliament had proposed the laws, he also knew that the UK government opposed them — because he explicitly called out ministers on the issue at the time.

In January 2014, Mr Johnson said: “If these amendments, supported by dozens of cities across Europe, can succeed, we can save literally hundreds of lives across the EU in years to come. I am deeply concerned at the position of the British Government and urge them to embrace this vital issue.”

Perhaps in his hasty drafting, Mr Johnson has misremembered the exact chain of events.

A source close to Mr Johnson told FactCheck: “Boris called for change more than a year before EU measures came into force. If we had taken back control we could have implemented them immediately in order to save lives.”

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... ion-letter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm 
Too Big to Fail

And now for something completely different - John Cleese is emigrating:

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am 
Of Systemic Importance

werpen wrote:
Poacher turned gamekeeper wrote:
catbear wrote:
Saibhreas wrote:
There is no majority in Parliament for a hard brexit and that will not happen. The UK is screwed, and they know it.

I wonder what the reaction on the streets will be when the average punter realises that too.

Will the sense of powerlessness only fuel the likes of For Britain etc...?

All my English friends appear to harbour deep dislike and distrust for the establishment.

However they will only utter what are non PC view points in private. This is unhealthy and will ultimately provoke a reaction.

If Brexit is shot down or substantially diluted , (throw in England winning the World Cup (God forbid!)), I could see such views coming out into the open.

20,000 people marched in London recently in support of Tommy Robinson. It was barely reported on in any mainstream media outlet.

Abandonment/substantial dilution of Brexit would surely spark serious anger across the UK

Who knows.

This happened recently enough....

Quote:
A string of high-profile hard-right ‘influencers’ have very publicly joined Ukip, sparking an influx of their young, largely alt-right followers into the party’s membership.

Last week, YouTube personalities Paul Joseph Watson, Sargon of Akkad, Count Dankula and former tech blogger Milo Yiannopoulos announced they were joining the ailing party.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.mirr ... 819236.amp

Does it mean anything ?

Again, who knows but they have huge online followings....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am 
IMF'd

Milo the gay national? That Milo?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am 
Too Big to Fail

Dubhgeannain wrote:
And now for something completely different - John Cleese is emigrating:

I find this very high profile "emigration" very odd as Cleese has spent pretty much all of the last 30 plus years living in the US in Santa Barbara. In Montecito. He owned three houses in Montecito. One in the Upper Village off East Valley Road, one down on the coast at the end of Miramar Beach, and I got the impression the third one was further along East Valley toward the foothills but not sure. Could have been in the Cold Springs area. At least two of the houses had to be sold due to his last divorce and I must assume he is selling up the last one if he is moving to St Kitts.

He is fairly unpleasant in person. He seemed to have kept to himself the whole time he lived in Montecito. Never got the impression that Cleese fitted into the Upper Village scene. Which is very informal and low key. He would have been a very small fish in the rich and famous stakes by local standards. Douglas Adams who also had a place in Montecito also kept a low profile but on the whole seemed to be a pretty pleasant person. He was well liked by the locals. Never ran into Adams, not that you could miss him as he was so tall, but I ran into Cleese in a Pacific Heights cafe a few years ago. If it had been the Upper Village I probably would have said something polite, neighborly and anodyne but given Cleese's well earned reputation for boorishness and rudeness I ignored him and said nothing. Which seemed to surprise him somewhat. I got the distinct impression he likes to be the center of attention. But only on his terms. Which is not very Upper Village.

Anyway, the video is just Cleese being an attention seeking grumpy old fart. A role for which his is perfectly cast both by temperament and personality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am 
Of Systemic Importance

yoganmahew wrote:
Milo the gay national? That Milo?

Yeah the guy who apparently endorsed paedophilia....which is strange given such a stance (in political terms) would usually be associated with the moral relativism of the left.

The following seems somehow appropriate to both the subject of this thread and much else of the past number of years....

Quote:
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 am 
Nationalised

jmc wrote:
If it had been the Upper Village I probably would have said something polite, neighborly and anodyne but given Cleese's well earned reputation for boorishness and rudeness I ignored him and said nothing. Which seemed to surprise him somewhat.

Yeah, imagine a passer by whom you've never met before blanking you. Quel surprise! I bet he lies awake at night thinking about it regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
jmc wrote:
If it had been the Upper Village I probably would have said something polite, neighborly and anodyne but given Cleese's well earned reputation for boorishness and rudeness I ignored him and said nothing. Which seemed to surprise him somewhat.

Yeah, imagine a passer by whom you've never met before blanking you. Quel surprise! I bet he lies awake at night thinking about it regularly.

He overheard me talking to my friends and looked towards us as he entered the cafe. It was the Peets at the corner of Sacramento and Fillmore in the Upper Fillmore. We were lined up right beside each other waiting for our order. Its a very small cafe. He most definitely was in a talkative mood and waiting for me to say something. I picked up my order when it was ready after a few mins and went and sat with my friends. Who asked me why I did not say anything to Cleese given his body language. I told them about his reputation for random unpleasantness. He might be charming or might be rude. You never knew which one you might get. He was in town for the weekend for a private function at the SF Jazz Center. I know this because a good friend organized the event at the SF Jazz end. The artists logistics part.

As I observed before, not all of us live in the tiny and obscure little universe you seem to inhabit. Some of us actually got out in the big wide world and have been lucky enough to meet some very interesting people over the years. Some who just by chance happened to be "famous". Mostly not. Because it turns out most "famous" people are actually really boring in person if you are not terribly interested in that whole shtick. But you would already have known that if you had ever actually met any.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Not sure how May can think that the EU will agree to the facilitated customs arrangement and these promises.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Sum it up with two words.

Bombastic shite.

Which is what got them into this mess in the first place.

Way too proud for their own good and ignores the massive benefits they got from membership of the EU.

No wonder the rest of Europe is sick of them already.

And 51.8% is not greater numbers than ever seen before...Rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Single Home Owner

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
Rumours abound that the EU is considering rejecting May's plan. I cannot see how a hard Breixt is not inevitable.

The EU will not let the UK off the hook that easily. Remember, the goal here is to keep the UK locked into negotiations to make sure that they keep making concessions until they are forced into remaining in the CU and SM (without voting rights).

It is important to make sure that this is done gradually to allow the UK save (some) face.

There is no majority in Parliament for a Hard Brexit, and it is not in the EU’s interests to allow the UK a hard brexit.

Hard Brexit was just a ruse used by May to keep hard brexiteers locked in for long enough to shaft them. They are being shafted now.

Last edited by Saibhreas on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 289  Next