Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Returning to Ireland Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Open Window wrote:
onioneater wrote:
He or she didn't say that they were considering returning to Dublin. There are a good deal fewer problems finding most types of accommodation in most locations outside Dublin.

Point taken.

Yes, I've had a good look around Daft et al. Its pretty concerning - there's not a huge amount at any reasonable cost in the commuter counties from what I have seen so far.

That might not matter hugely. My missus is Australian and I'm going to apply for my partner visa (again - last one expired as we didn't make the big move to Aus at the time). There could be an 18 month wait time, and I might be out of work here in just a few months, its hard to say. Anyways Australia is the end goal.

So a move to Ireland, if it happens, would really be short term, a few months to a year. Would be good for the kids to connect with the extended family. Am thinking about contracting, and living further out the country from Dublin. Would be a bitch of a commute though. Also looking at idea of long term term car rental to avoid the insurance issue - I've been out in the Middle East for years so imagine I'll be treated like a leper by insurance companies (never had a claim out here though).

Also looking at long term rental period in a holiday home, as opposed to signing up for a year lease somewhere (besides, I need to have references? I haven't had to deal with that bolloxology for 10 years now).

This might run up against the problem of getting leave to remain for the missus, where we to provide proof of joint address.

Obviously this isn't a well thought out plan right now...have lots of thinking yet to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm 
Nationalised

I think in terms of accommodation/rental market cycle. You seem to have left the fire to only return to the inferno. It's not pretty. I dare say you'll be even more shocked on the ground. I think many here are totally snow blind to the dismal reality.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm 
IMF'd

Dubhgeannain wrote:
Decided to have a gander at the link I posted earlier.

Quote:
In 2017 the Department of Finance Cost of Insurance Working Group announced the agreement of a new Protocol with Insurance Ireland to assist returning emigrants get motoring cover. The protocol provides that, where a person can demonstrate claims-free driving experience in a different country, insurance companies will take this experience into consideration. This move by the Department of Finance and Insurance Ireland will help to address the disproportionate cost of car insurance that some people have faced on returning home.

More information on securing motor insurance in Ireland, including a note for returning emigrants, can be found on the Insurance Ireland website.

That sounds promising but I wonder if anyone has put this to the test yet.

I know getting affordable car insurance was a big problem for a friend of mine as he was considered to be starting out with 0 years no claims despite driving for 10 years. His car insurance for a modest 1.4 petrol was over € 3k

Thank you for that! I've passed that to my BIL who was similarly charged an arm and a leg despite years of no claims in another EU country.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Open Window wrote:
I think in terms of accommodation/rental market cycle. You seem to have left the fire to only return to the inferno. It's not pretty. I dare say you'll be even more shocked on the ground. I think many here are totally snow blind to the dismal reality.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach it. It depends really on when the axe falls in my current place - and the predicted time left until the aussie visa comes through. Really wondering if it is worth it to go to Ireland and go through the pain of setting up, only to leave again later.
I've got kids as well - another mate of mine moving back from London has been told to avoid schools in Dublin as they are full to the brim.
It does seem the only way is to move out into the sticks - like, way out. I'm possibly looking at 4+ hours commuting a day. Which I could only really stomach for the short term.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

london_irish wrote:
It does seem the only way is to move out into the sticks - like, way out. I'm possibly looking at 4+ hours commuting a day. Which I could only really stomach for the short term.

Thurles is an hour by train to Dublin, train every hour I think. An hour from Cork too!

My brother commutes on that line and enjoys his morning read. I believe Thurles even has a hipster cafe now!

The Two Johnnies have some promotional video for the area...

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm 

I wouldn't dismiss Dublin too quickly.

I think people have stopped using daft because the number of responses has gone too crazy and things like word of mouth, Facebook groups and estate agents are taking over.

The schools thing is somewhat scaremongering too. Everyone ends up with a school place sonewhere, just pick a target area or three and read the local schools enrollment policies and call them. Some areas have huge pressure but it's not every area by any means.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 am 
Single Home Owner

We moved home to Ireland in August 2014, and I left here in 1988. I have two teenage kids and the schools here in Dublin are fine. I can’t see any reason to avoid them at all. Private schools here are about a third of the cost of the UK and the state schools here are far better than those in the U.K. We wouldn’t have been able to apply for places for our kids in state schools here before we came as we didn’t have an Irish address, but we were offered places for them at every private Dublin school we enquired at.

My husband is from the U.K. if you want to ask me anything at all, do. Health provision here is very expensive and it mounts up quickly. It’s nothing like the UK at all, not at primary care level either - the cost of a GP and prescription is shocking having come from the U.K. where it is free for the GP and prescriptions less than £10.

Housing (rental or purchasing) is cheaper here too, than London. A lot cheaper, but groceries and utilities are more expensive. We had no problems getting car insurance here either, but we both had 30 years of no claims behind us.

We have had a couple of lodgers since we arrived in Dublin, people coming from far afield who have applied for school places for their kids in Dublin at state schools before their kids arrived, they had no problems at all with primary or secondary schools.

Perhaps Dublin is more expensive than uk locations that are not London? Or perhaps it is more expensive than places like the Middle East. If you are London based and Irish returning home and have kids, Dublin is not as expensive at all as London.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:01 pm 

Thanks Bea, and everyone else. I appreciate your comments. I have a friend in the UK who is moving his family back to Ireland, mainly for the schools, so I really understand that motivation.
We are taking a family holiday back in the summer, and will be talking to a lot of friends about things, and will try to get a pragmatic view.
Car insurance is a big one, we have been in the ME nearly 10 years, multiple countries. To be frank I would understand Irish insurers reluctance to look at paperwork from here, when the Gulf countries themselves have a big problem when it comes to official documents and authentication.
Worst case is we have to plan on being a two car family - so that seems to add up to an awful lot of after tax earnings to spend, over multiple years, to try earn no-claims consideration in Ireland. Its not the type of problem we ever thought to encounter...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We moved back in 2010 and also faced the car insurance issue. We paid north of €2k the first year for one car and then it dropped in steps over the next five years as we accumulated a no claims bonus. It probably cost us €4kish in total over that period than it would have if we had a full no claims bonus starting out, so it's something to be aware of but it's not going to be a make or break issue in deciding whether to move or not. It probably helped that we were moving from a country with even higher insurance costs, and where we had needed two cars, so even at €2k+ our insurance costs were actually lower in Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm 
IMF'd

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
It probably helped that we were moving from a country with even higher insurance costs, and where we had needed two cars, so even at €2k+ our insurance costs were actually lower in Ireland.

You what?!
Singapore? Iraq? Mars?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble