Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Offer on garden plot. Access issues.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 am 
Migrant

I'm interested in putting an offer in on a garden plot with access issues and no planning permission. What kind of money should I be looking at offering? Clondalkin area, hope to build family 3 bed home.

Here's the story:

My Dad owns the corner terrace house with side access off the main road (Number 1). Back in the 80s a neighbour (Mr Jones) across the road bought the end of the back gardens of Number 2 and 3 on an insiders tip :roll: about a council housing development which was planned, that never happened and now the are backed up against a businees/industrial park . There is still a lane that runs along the back garden with pedestrian access. My Dad says he would give me access if Mr Jones was willing to sell it.

Mr Jones approached my Dad numerous times during the boom years to develop together, but Dad had no interest, he then looked to get access through my Dad's property, even less interest. Everything was perfectly civil but there's a chance that could affect Mr Jones' attitude, so I'd like to have an idea of a 'fair' price going into it.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Offer on garden plot. Access issues.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm 
Nationalised

Get two estate agents to value the property.
Take the average.

Post subject: Re: Offer on garden plot. Access issues.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I was looking at buying a house with the idea of cleaving off some of the back garden to sell on as a site, so as to defray the cost of the house I wanted to buy. Estate agent I know (a reasonably straight up and reliable one) told me I should rule-of-thumb the site being worth 1/3 the sale price of the house I could build on it.

That assumed I was a developer, who'd have to charge 13.5% VAT on a new house he was selling. Given you wouldn't be, you could factor that in.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?